Thread: Rhythm Playing

I had such help with my last question on the board, that I thought this might be the best way to figure out my problem. This is probably going to sound dumb to a lot of people, but it's something I've not really been able to get hold of while learning mando.

When playing rhythm in a piece of music in 4/4 time, am I supposed to strum each beat, or do I try to strum according to the notes written in the melody. By that I mean, if I'm playing a bar that consists of a quarter note, an eighth note, and a quarter note, am I going to strum quarter, eighth, quarter (down, down/up, down), or do I simply pound out each beat (down, down, down, down).

I have some beginner books for mandolin, but they just don't really make it clear to me. I'm sure it's something that will be a "Duh," moment down the road, but for now, I'm just not sure what to do.

I'm not sure this is making sense. I just don't have anyone I can ask in person.

Actually more folks should probably ask questions about playing rhythm. I think San Rafael answered this pretty well... it makes sense to me to work on basic 2-4 chop and ringing rhythm, play with things like strumming on 1-2-3-4 but adding emphasis on 2-4, etc.

Do a lot of listening to recordings. David Grisman has a very varied backup style that will combine chops, ringing, tremelos, and arpeggios, which got my attention early on. Norman Blake opts for letting the chord ring most of the time. Tom Rozum (with Laurie Lewis) backs the band wonderfully.

For what it's worth, I've been playing mando for years and trying to figure out the rhythm patterns for various tunes and I'm still not satisfied with my rhythm playing. When in doubt, though, I usually go for the 2-4 chop or ring.

pd
    "... beauty is not found in the excessive but what is lean and spare and subtle" - Terry Tempest Williams

When I started out I'd put on my metrononme and hold a simple 2-finger chord and see how long I could keep the sound interesting by just varying the rhythm. So I'd start with a down-strum on each beat. Then I'd just do it on the 1 and 3. Then switch to the 2 and 4.

When I got that down I'd do some eighth-note strumming counting 'one and two and three and four and'. Then by leaving out down-strums and/or up-strums I'd discover all sorts of recognisable rhythms.

Once I got the rhythms in my head and hands I'd do the same with the three and four finger chords. Then I started experimenting with left-hand muting. I'm still doing that. I'm no Sma Bush yet but it's great fun playing around with this stuff. The chop is a must for BG (it can be used on the 1 and 3 or even strummed too!)

Can't wait for J Mc Gann's DVD on mandolin rhythm.

I developed a bad habit of trying to follow the melody and I am now painfully training myself not to do that. My instructor has me practicing rhythms alternating between different patterns by always keeping the beat as "1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and" (numbers downstrokes, "and" upstrokes) and on each stroke (down or up) muting, accenting, strumming, "picking air" or a single specific note. Right now I am deciding on a pattern (like "mute all upstrokes, accent 2 and 4, strum 1 and 3") and then applying that to several measures, moving up and down the neck with a couple of common chord forms. The chop is accenting then quickly muting on 2 and 4. I am generally making a sound of some kind on every eighth note boundary and varying what that sound is to try to fit the tune instead of trying to vary my timing. I am not particularly good at it yet, but I am pretty convinced it is the way to go and is achievable. The people I play with far prefer me making the wrong sounds at the right time to making the right sounds at the wrong time, so I guess that's progress...

BTW, I also strongly agree about the importance of rhythm. I asked for my lessons to be about little else until I am much better at it. I run scales and know a few melodies, but mostly just pass on the breaks right now. I sometimes feel that jams push people to concentrate on solos too soon.

"First you master your instrument, then you master the music, then you forget about all that ... and just play"
    Charlie "Bird" Parker

ARBARNHART, imo, is right on in getting rhythm/chops down and leads later. I'm a true beginner and that is the way I have decided to learn. I think that I can be playing sooner by learning chords (G & D are killers) and how to chop and learning runs & leads as time goes by.
    My axe is used for choppin'.