Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mid-Missouri

Hi! Just found this site, very excited about the mandolin, I currently own a cheap Rogue $49, it does the job for me the beginner but I am looking at the Mid-Missouris at my local shop, unfortunately they do not have them fully stocked yet so I can not compare them. I am interested in the M-4 and the M-3. Can anyone tell me how they compare as far as projection and tone. I will play mostly Bluegrass but I also enjoy Celtic and classical, basically if it sounds good on the mandolin I want to try it...any info on the sound difference of rosewood and walnut and maple? Thanks, Les in RI

I was told once that the M2 has more of an all purpose sound especially for bluegrass but I ended up with an M1 anyway.

Jason

Lefty JBovier F5 Tradition, Lefty Mid-Mo M1

I played the M-1 and I loved it, great sound nice and crisp with a lot of volume easy action,, I just like to compare a little before I send whay for me is a lot of money Thanks, Les

Bluegrass is typically played on carved arch top mandolins with F holes and there is a little difference in the sound, but you can certainly play it on a flat top with an oval hole and it won't sound that much different, especially when you are still learning. You may get a few odd looks when you start going to jams. I play an oval; I play a few different styles, none all that well. I recently went to a bluegrass workshop and out of about 15 mandolins there, I had the only oval. It doesn't bother me, but it is a consideration.
    "First you master your instrument, then you master the music, then you forget about all that ... and just play"
    Charlie "Bird" Parker

It's not any more of a Bluegrass mandolin than the Mod-Mo, but I recently discovered Garrison mandolins. They appear to be every bit as excellent a value as Mid-Mo -- if not a better value, as they are fully bound, have adjustable truss rods, soundhole rosettes, wide neck, big frets, and look far more attractive, IMHO. They are Canadian-made (which might explain their excellent pricing in the US due to current exchange rates), and are available at ArlinMusic.com. (Here is a link to a few current and past discussions here at MC.)

Disclaimer: I have not played one of these yet, but I have read some nice feedback here and at HarmonyCentral. Based upon what I have read about them, and their specs and design in general, I think I am leaning towards their M50 model, as it is pretty much what I have been looking for in a mandolin for ITM that won't break the bank.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Linked below is a two-page discussion of tone woods for guitars that probably also applies to mandolins.

http://www.musicfolk.com/docs/Featur...e_ToneWood.htm

The Mid-Mos are great. I have toured the workshop/factory, met the folks there and also heard them play music. They are great people, really committed to what they are doing. They make a great product and stand behind it. You can't go wrong with one. Besdes, it would be hard to find a true bluegrass mandolin of any quality in the Mid-Mo price range.

Mike Dulack, the owner of Mid-Mo said the M-4 is the loudest, brightest and most "guitar-like" of the models and his personal favorite. The others have unique tonal characteristics that many people prefer. I think the walnut will tend to sound sweeter, the mahogany "drier," meaning fewer overtones.

Great decision to move to a Mid-mo. They are high quality, versatile instruments. Nothing is better for the price. I've owned 2 M4's and was very impressed with their sonic qualities.

The M4 has the rosewood back and sides, the M3 has a walnut back and sides and the M2 has maple back and sides. All have sitka spruce tops. Maple is by far the most common choice for back and side wood in bluegrass mandolins, probably a result of tradition more than anything else.

Check out Chris Baird's Arches website for a helpful starting description of what the different woods will do.

thanks I am really sold on the mid-missouri it's just a question of which wood to use, i know that M-4 is louder and bright which I like but i also appreciate the tonal qualities of a sweeter less bright sound, I just wish that they could project like the M-4, there is website with sample videos the M-4 sounds great, just wondering a little about the walnut, qnd how it projects in comparison to the rosewood. I have not heard a reasonably priced f style mando that sounds good. the michael kelly is nice, but for the price I like the mid mos

Reading those wood descriptions, I can't help thinking I want to get a mandolin made out of Koa, Bubinga and Cocobolo, just because they sound so cool!

I have played the M-3 and liked it quite a bit. I own the M-0 which is basically the same, tonally speaking, as the M-1 as they share the same tone woods. My ears love mahogany, so, I bought the M-0 over the M-3. The M-3 is louder and a bit brighter than the M-0 and M-1 while still having a lovely, complex tone. It is also the most beautiful of the Mid-mos and actually has some "frills" such as the gold grover tuners, ebony bridge and fingerboard and the decorative center strip in the center of the back. All done with class, I must say!

I have spent the last year playing the Mid-mo in many settings and I have found that these instruments really have few limitations as far as their ability to fit into the mix. They are extremely versatile and have plenty of punch to be heard. They are also very easy to mic, which enables them to play well in those occasional loud situations that I get into. I'm just amazed that this $390 (new) instrument can do so much. These are instruments worth hanging onto!
    Richard Russell

I have the M-4 and really like it. I have not played the M-3, but am interested in it. I also have not pplayed an M-11. The Maple and Mahogany ones are quite nice and would be good to get a different tone for certain songs.

I get something of a chop from my M-4, it is a bright sounding instrument with plenty of volume. I do not play bluegrass, but I do abit of folk, celtic and old time.

Either the M-3 or the M-4 will suit your needs in my opinion.

I just purchased an M-11. Should be here on Tuesday. I'll let you know how it sounds. I can't wait to get my hands on it!
    Michael

Proud papa to three great kids, and two great mandolins.

1923 Gibson A3
    Dan Fobert custom long scale mandolin

I have a M3M smae as the M3 except with a mahogney top. It sounds sweeter/mellower than the M3, great for playing classical, Celtic, old-tyme, and folk, but not so good for (at least in my hands) bluegrass. These mandolins are well made, fun to play, and an excellent value. I think if you can find one go for it!

Dave
    David R. Wight

I have a M2 and a M0 (just sold). I personally like the m2 alittle better. But I'd like a M11. I played one at Mandolin Brothers and I feel in love! It's sweeeeet.
    I think they are fairly versatile mandos...though I don't play Bluegrass.

Best,
    Jen Ford

Well - I feel in love - but I "FELL" in love with the M11 :-)

Jen

Me too. I heard it played once, and it just sounded to sweet. However, I don't play bluegrass either. More interested in Celtic/Classical. I've heard that an M-11 is not so good for bluegrass.
    Michael

1923 Gibson A3

There must be something magical about that mahogany top on the M-11! So many seem to love it's sound. I would love to try one out someday. I like the sweetness of tone that the mahogany back and sides provides, and also the punch that the spruce top seems to add. The mahogany top must really mellow the M-11 out and make it a very pleasing to the ears?
    Richard Russell

That's my opinion as well. I like a more mellow sound to a mandolin. But I do love to listen to bluegrass. But I like to play celtic/classical.
    Michael

1923 Gibson A3

but don't get me wrong, I am new to mandolin. #I play guitar, sax, and drums. #But I've got mando fever now! #You can listen to the different mandos Here
    Michael

1923 Gibson A3

Since I've not played an M-11, I'd like to ask how it stacks up against other models when it comes to volume. It may ne the one for me to get to compliment my M-4.

I play bluegrass, old time, and celtic on an M-4 and am quite happy with the sound. For an all around mando at that price, I don't think you'll ever hear a negative word about the Mid-Mos. I really love mine.
    That said, though, if you think you're going to play mostly BG, you may look into Eastman 515. It's a traditional F with F holes and may get you closer to the proper BG tone. They get a lot of good words around the cafe. The M-4 is about 600 new and you can find a used 515 from 600-800. Check the classifieds here...
    Andrew Lewis
    Collings MT2, Tone Gard, Tortis Style C heavy, bootlace strap, J74s

I'm still saving my pennies and circling a lefty M11 (although a Freshwater is tempting, too). The boys at Mid-Mo told me that after a few years of playing, the M11 really opens up --- they got one in for repairs and were surprised at the volume.

I was also giving some thought to having them build one out of Adriondack spruce, which I understand is some sort of a magical tree.

Actually, I am thinking the M-3 with the Mahogany top would be ideal. A little more density to the back and sides than mahogany.

I played a wallful with each model at Mandolin Bros last June. I thought the M3 was the class of the bunch, for acoustic reasons I can't really summon now- but it seemed, perhaps, to have the most bell-like tone- which is what I like. And the walnut is really nice lookin' to boot. If you're near Staten Island, they usually have lots in store, and I'd strongly recommend an in-person comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by
    There must be something magical about that mahogany top on the M-11!
    Mid-mo? Where have I been? (hint: on vacation)

The M-11 is plenty loud. I think it is louder than my M-0, but that's not the issue when playing Bluegrass. Bluegrass is about the whole blended sound. Volume is only part of the equation.

In my experience, a mahogany top does not cut through as effectively as a spruce top. That said, I really really like the sound of mahogany topped instruments. They work best for me in solo, dou, or small ensemble situations.

Also, I can't get my M-11 to 'chop', but I can get a decent 'chop-ish' sound from my M-0. I think you need to have an arched, f-holed top to get a real 'chop' sound.

- Benig

The Hogs:
    Martin 000-15s
    Midmo M-11