Thread: "dremel" router jig

I see the various jigs that allow plunge routing w/ a Dremel. I have the Black and Decker 3 speed RTX (w/dual overhead cam and underbody neon light kits) and I'm wondering if the jigs are universal, and what brands you might recommend in general. I know Stew/Mac advertises one, but so do the Harry Homeowner places. I want to use it for inlay and routing the rim, and etc. Thanks!

THIS ONE #is well reviewed and mentions being compatible with a Black & Decker Wizard, not sure if that's the same thing as what you have or not. #It has been reviewed favorably, on frets.com I believe. #I ordered the one that Stew Mac sells for doing inlay, to replace the regular Dremel router base you can buy at the home improvement stores. #I wouldn't recommend that one for anything, let alone for building an instrument.

EDIT: #I've been aware that my wording isn't clear on this. #The Stew Mac base is fine from what I hear, the one you buy at home improvement stores is the one that is garbage. #Carry on. #

My original IV mandolin kit blog- http://makingamandolin.blogspot.com/

I think the threads on the B&D and the dremel are the same I've compared them both in stores and they look the same anyway, and that LMI router base implies they both have 19x2mm threads, so my guess is any base that works with the NEW style dremel (and any attachment for that matter) _should_ work with the B&D.

Now there might be other limiting issues with the stewmac base and the B&D tool, but I can't really think of any. I have a B&D one, so I've done a tiny bit of research on it, but nothing exhaustive. I own neither of the bases, but I'm looking to either buy or build one myself.

I have both the B&D and the Dremel. The StewMac base works with both.
    Jim

Tony Bare

The dremel plunge rouer base is a piece of dung. The dremel cone shaped fixture for a rotary cutter looks like it would be good for inlay. I just got one and will try it soon. The depth is adjustable and it is a solid connection to the tool. My concern is that the open end of the cone isn't large enough to keep the tool from tipping and there isn't any handles to grip. If it proves to be problematic I will try to inlay it 1/4"into a piece of 3/8" corian to make a more stable base that I can add something to hold on to and maby attach a small tube for either blowing or vacuming the dust away from the cut. It's probably easier to order one from stew-mac but, It's more fun figgerin out how to do it myself.
    Tony Bare

I use a Black & Decker with the Stew-Mac base all the time.

Check this out: Kit Guitar Forum(Its skewed alittle but to guitar building, but ...) go to the tools section and the router guide plan. I bought the plan from him, but ended up getting a stew mac setup instead. Thought somepne might find it useful, also there is a cool fret press rig that someone made in there. Good resource, if you havent seen it.

Try a roto zip, it has a light and different speeds and a small blower, but I need to modify it for this type of work. Dennis in Arizona
    DENNIS RUSSELL

B&D...Jeez, I thought this was another site and that was Bondage and Domination...Oh, well!

If only there was a good plunge base for a real laminate trimmer. Dremels are just about useless for any precise work...there's just too much runout in the bearings. I use them for stricly low precision work. I have a bunch of Bosch lam trimmers, but we don't need the plunge feature. When I do have to plunge, I slowly tilt the bit into the wood.

I may have posted this previously but I have gotten great results with my homemade base for my dremel. The dremel is held in place by means of pressure from a thumb screw squeezing the sides of the base together and I can adjust the depth with a simple twist. I did not see the need for any threaded adjustments, plus the light really makes for easy viewing of the cavity. I hooked up a booklight and it works great.
    Don
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC_007E.JPG 
Views:	371 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	17499  
    http://www.donkawalek.com
    "The only thing achieved in life without effort is failure."
    Dum Vixi Tacui Mortua Dulce Cano