Thread: Herschel Sizemore

Hi Folks - After a long hard look i found that Herschel Sizemore has 3 CD's available from County sales.I ordered "Back In Business" because it has his tune "Rebecca" on it & i play that on Banjo.I wanted to hear the way Herschel plays it as i'm trying to get my fingers around it & i hadn't heard it played on the Mandolin by anyone. What a wonderful player that guy is !!.
    His playing of "Grey Eagle" is wonderful & as for "Rebecca",what a joy to listen to.I'm a beginner - started playing Aug.'05 & i'm doing pretty well,but boy,i'm going to really get into it now & i'm ordering the other 2 CD's as soon as i get the chance - just those 2 tunes are such an inspiration to play.I now understand why Herschel Sizemore is held in such high regard,
    Regards - truly inspired,
    Saska
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

AccuTab has a Sizemore instructional DVD out. I have it (I have all their mando DVD's, hasn't made me a good player <g&gt. Great stuff, and inspirational to watch.
    J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

His playing is incredible. You can see his influence on many of the hot pickers of today. He is the consumate gentleman in person and is always a joy to hang with. His video set from Acu-Tab is great. He hosts the Roanoke Bluegrass Weekend in November in Roanoke, VA. He teaches and jams and just has a great time with everyone. Not only is the entire staff at that event incredible, just the chance to hang with Hershell for several days and jam is worth the price of going.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Wanna be manodlin player

I have just started to learn Rebecca and love the tune. I haven't heard Herschel play it, but Jimmy Mills and Adam Steffey sure can tear it up.
    Ron Lane
    2002 Gibson F-9
    Martin DC-18GTE

Hi Ron - It was Jim Mills' CD that i learned the tune on the Banjo from.I didn't know if Adam Steffey was playing it 'right' or was playing his own version.I'd nothing to compare it with at the time - i have now though. At the time i was still 'non-mando.'I intend to learn the tune the way Herschel plays it.I'm still only 11 months into playing Mandolin but,Oh boy !! i'll give it everything i've got & enjoy every minute,
    Regards - Saska
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

Saska, if you want to play it "right" you are in luck -- the AcuTab book on Herschel is extremely accurate (as the name would suggest) -- both notes and tab, all fingerings well-indicated. I have worked out Grey Eagle from this (great position shifts!) and that deceptively simple break from Alone & Broken Hearted. Rebecca is in there also.

Went to Fiddlefest in Roanoke today and Herschel was one of the instructors. He is one great guy, worked with him for a couple of hours and got to listen to him and a bunch of guys jam for another two hours. Looking forward to doing the same tomorrow
    Dan
    four guitars, a fiddle and a Eastman 615 Mandolin, a dobro and a old Kay Bass
    For free guitar, banjo, mandolin and fiddle lessons go to
    www.musicmoose.org

Hi Guys - I got Herschel's tuition DVD from my dealer in Liverpool over the weekend. He does a version of Rebecca on it & also Grey Eagle.The DVD also has the TAB for the tunes on it which may come in useful.
    A plus for the DVD is Alan Bibey being on it,putting the questions to Herschel & discussing playing etc.
    I'm well pleased - Saska
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.