Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bierocks!

Ok Scott, you got my interest up, how about your recipe?
    My daughter,(12) doesn't like cabbage or onions though, so you got any alternate stuffings? Doe's anyone else on the board like these, and would like to share their recipes? I did a search and found some recipes on Yahoo, but thought people with similar tastes, (Mandolin) would be a much better source!
    Good Pickin', Steve

Yeah, now you've got us interested.
    Because when we go to Winfield from Colorado we pass through ALL of western Kansas. So if we pull into Colby or Hays where would we look for these bierocks?

I answered my own question. Googled bierocks + Hays and got Schilleci's bakery deli. 5 star rating and the claim of the best bierock's that aren't home made.

Blog Entries

Unless you're from an area that has some kind of German/Russian connection it's unlikely you'll know what these are. There are few things that are so near and dear to me (and not mandolin related) that I'll post on the Cafe home page, but these meet that criteria. I'm aware they are made in many different versions around the country and don't always share that name. If you were raised in central Kansas near Hays it was simply part of the local Volga German population.

I grew up on these and my mother made the best I ever tasted. My wife must be buttering me up for a good reason because we've had two batches in a week.

Great chefs always point out the guys having their last meal on death row never order from three-star restaurants--they want something from their childhood that their mothers made. I don't anticipate being on death row any time soon, but a couple of these and some ice-cold watermelon would be my last meal of choice.

My wife actually took a bunch of pictures of how these are made and did a PDF of it. Sitting on my PC at home (oops, I'm posting from work... imagine that!). I'll share that later this evening. Warning: they're addictive, and two of them mysteriously found their way into my mouth around 10:00 last night. My pants seem a bit tighter around the waist today.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (Mandy-Man @ July 21 2006, 10:35)
    Ok Scott, you got my interest up, how about your recipe?
    My daughter,(12) doesn't like cabbage or onions though, so you got any alternate stuffings?
    We do some with just hamburger which my daughter likes. We made them meatless once--won't do that again.

Up north of you Kansas folks in Lincoln, Nebraska home of the German from Russia Society and Museum. My Grandma (a German from Russia) used to make these for the whole family and they are awesome. I will see if I can locate a recipe and post. Your making me miss my grandma and really hungry for one of those sandwiches. We have a chain of resturants here in Lincoln called Runza they make sandwiches similar to what you've described nothing like the real thing. But who can beat Grandma's Cookin'

For those of you with a German Russian Heritage or if your just plain interested here is the link for the Germans from Russia Society.

http://www.ahsgr.org/

Some interesting history and genealogy stuff their

My Grandmother was a wonderful cook. Her ancestors were from Belgium, but she never fixed any of these. I'm going to buy the ingredients this weekend and try my hand at baking some. I have made some pretty good cinnamon rolls and breadsticks so these shouldn't be too difficult. I'm thinking maybe hamburger and cheese for my daughter.
    Good Pickin', Steve

Mid-western Dim Sung¿ I prefer mine stuffed full of pork
    Rigel...the original Vermont Teddy Bear!

I had these for the first time while in Russia a few years back. Loved them! The family I was staying with knew I loved them so they packed some up for my 900 mile train ride back to Moscow. A hearty meal you can enjoy anywhere. Some coarse and spicy Russian Mustard really adds to the flavor. Getting hungry just thinking about em.

I grew up in North Central Kansas. All the cooks in grade school were of German decent. We enjoyed delicious Bierocks every week in the cafeteria.

Mmm, German cooking..

Looks like a pasty from the U.P., you betcha!

My town has a huge Mennonite Relief Sale each fall--quilts, bierocks, home-made ice cream...the bierocks go very quickly; you must start standing in line for lunch around ten thirty!

Dena

They sound fantastic.

Being a Texas boy, I'd try 'em in the authentic fashion first and then probably go home and try to make some with jalapenos and cheese added!

Blog Entries

Here's the recipe. As I pointed out earlier, there are a lot of different recipes for these.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bierocks.pdf  

Woof! I gotta give these a try. And I'm with you, barney94...jalapenos! Thanks Scott, Ms. T, and Granny J.
    Brian T. Walker
    Down beside the Alamo
    In the Lone Star State

"Ignorance is when you don't know something and somebody finds it out."
    -- Kenneth "Jethro" Burns

Hey Scott - My wife has a friend who lived in Shafter,a little town just outside of Bakersfield and with a sizeable Mennonite population. Every year she has us and several other friends over for a bierocks feast, and man are they tasty. I don't know of any restaurants here where you get them though, so we'll just have to do the Basque and Cuban fare when it's LoarFest time unless I can talk our friend into cookin' up a special batch.

So tonight I played a gig with my band and one of the members is of Russian decent.
    I asked her if she had ever heard of bierocks. She hadn't. So I described them and she said "Oh you mean krautburgers. I grew up with them. They're great with watermelon. I just made some last week."

Looks like food to eat while you're working in the fields.

Lots of variations for bierocks (or runzas) can be found at my favorite recipe site, allrecipes.com.
    I have no interest in it, unless you count gastronomical.
    Check the reviews for variations on this theme.

My mother is from Stockton , KS and I am from Hays. Bierocks was one of the things I really looked forward to during my visits home. For those who have not been lucky enough to have them, you are missing out.
    I only wish my wife knew how to make them !

Blog Entries

Interesting comments, all right on the mark. This is indeed food you could eat while working in the fields, and I got to do that, often. We have the Runza chain here in town. They're so different than what I call a bierock that I stopped going there. I've also heard krautburger used to describe these and other terms that I now can't recall. Still a few in the freezer. jimbob, you grew up in my part of the world I see.

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Joel mentioned this local chain of highly successful restaurants that specialize in the Runza sandwhich, based here in Lincoln, Nebraska. They are so common here, we take them for granted, and many who relocate to other parts of the country, when they come back to visit will take frozen Runzas home with them (not as good as fresh, but better’n nothing).

Funny anecdote. A friend of mine I worked with in a studio was doing a jingle for this chain back in the M.C. Hammer heydays. He did a spin-off commercial of the “You Can’t Touch This” hit, and in order to make it authentic, he used some of his Los Angeles connections to get some “real” rappers from the ‘hood.

His L.A. engineers both hailed from the Cornhusker state, and after recording the spots, the two rappers had to ask, “Not, just what IS a Runza?”

Puzzled as to just how to explain it, they replied, “Well, you take bread dough, put some hamburger in… Add some cabbage…” The street kids started gagging at the thought, and the native Nebraskans pleaded, “No, you don’t understand. These are REALLY good!”

"Ah, Man! You guys are crazy!" they insisted...

Until you’ve tried them, it’s hard to comprehend how tasty these are. Interestingly, this local chain has tried a new marketing tact, NOT calling them “Runzas,” but “Oven Stuff'd Sandwhiches.”

Whatever you call them, they are very, very good!
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

It's a miracle! I made them according to Granny J's recipe except I put in a half a teaspoon of allspice. They have been devoured by both my daughters, who pronounce them delicious. They had only minimal help from two neighbors and me.

They taste like swedish meatballs stuffed in a biscuit. As I said before, "Woof!"
    Brian T. Walker
    Down beside the Alamo
    In the Lone Star State

"Ignorance is when you don't know something and somebody finds it out."
    -- Kenneth "Jethro" Burns

Scott, Thank you so much for sharing your recipe, many people won't, and I really don't understand that. Anyhow I'll try to make some this week and let you know how they go over with the family. Now all I've got to do is figure out how to stop drooling till I get some made.:laugh:
    Good Pickin', Steve

If there was a bierrock vender this year at Winfield then I would definitely live off thoses for the week instead of the usual sausage pita. I am a German boy but have not had any good bierrock since my gandparents passed away.
    It doesn't matter . . . I'm going to WINFIELD!!!!!