Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gibson OAI dealer ?

I now live in Pensacola Florida and thinking about a new mandolin. I went to the Gibson Dealer link and found Leitz Music Company located in Panama City, about 3 hours down the road. I gave them a call to check on their inventory and was told they have only one Gibson in stock, a F9.
    I thought the whole reason for this sole dealership thing was to have a line of inventory to select from, or am I mistaken? What's the deal?
    Lee
    Lee Hill

Well it appears everyone is as clueless as I about the OAI Dealer Inventory. I'd surely like to play some of the mid level Gibson mandolins but at this point I just don't know where to look.
    Lee
    Lee Hill

Plukerman, I appreciate your reply, but I'm not trying to trash Gibson. I would really like to play some new mandolins and maybe even make a purchase. I can't drive to Nashville but I can drive to an OAI dealer.
    Lee
    Lee Hill

No offense taken and I dearly hope I did not offend you. Like you I'll shop elsewhere if I have to go as far as Nashville. I've heard good things about this Daley cat.
    Lee
    Lee Hill

Not for nothin but....what's an OAI?
    -Soupy1957
    Breedlove Crossover FF SB
    “The weather was so bad even my iPhone was shaking!”
    -SDC

P.S. A friend just told me about a place called "Legends" (in Tampa?) that has a "sweet" 1917 Gibson "A" model for a great price.
    -Soupy1957
    -SDC

In Washington state at Hugo Helmer Music, they have an A9, F9, and had a damaged A5L with a broken headstock. It got sent back for repairs. Yikes!!! The A9 was quyite a hoss. It sounded better to my ears than the F9.

"Well, Yes, It is true that it did have random Hippie Sanding done to it"

"It's about the journey and not the destination."

OAI = Original Acoustic Instruments. #It's the division of Gibson, based in Nashville, that makes mandolins, banjos and dobros.

I've worked some retail in the past and I can say a little on behalf of businesses that choose not to stock certain merchandise.
    The average small-chain or mom and pop store simply does not have the dough to carry many items, even mid-priced ones. Especially items that sell in relatively low volume, like mandolins, they may be super important to those of us who post here, but not so much the wider instrument-purchasing world. Even for big stores, the margins are narrow and they have to be careful. A retail store must think in sales dollars per square foot, and it does them no good to have a wall of $2K instruments that probably won't sell. The
    # # You may not be aware of this but the store you walk into must buy nearly all of the merchandise you see on the wall. Some manufacturers may offer some kind of buy back for unsold items, but those companies are rare. In general, every item you see is an investement for the store, and some investments are riskier than others. The exclusivity that a dealer may have, is a means of lessening that risk, but not eliminating it. It cannot guarantee the presence of the whole line in the shop, just access to it. Small stores are at a great disadvantage today because so many customers will examine an item in the store, and then buy it online for much less money. Exclusivity makes this a little bit less of a risk.
    Why should your local(ish) store shell out for an F5 to keep in stock if it is only going to serve as a demo for customers who intend to buy the instrument elsewhere? #A good shop will work with you to get the instrument you want, they may even be able to get a demo instrument in for you to play without a deposit. But, for expensive instruments don't be surprised if they ask for a deposit so that you assume some of the risk to. This is the price of having a local store, and we all need to be prepared to meet them in the middle so we don't lose them.

Mandolplucker, give this store a chance to do right by you, find a salesman you like and trust and do them the courtesy of going to the store. I know it's a long drive, but if you're serious about finding a good instrument it's worth it. I made a long trip several times before I got my Gibson and I would do it again in a minute.
    Happy Hunting
    Jeremy

Here in New England, I'm lucky to have a few local "Guitar Center" stores and a couple of Mom & Pop ones too. I WISH I had the number of Mandolin Manufacturers that seem to be so thickly settled in Virginia, Kentucky and Tennessee! There's nothing I would like better than to spend a few hours in the shop of folks who make them and know them.
    If you live near one of those "makers" (within a hundred miles) consider yourself "blessed!"
    -Soupy1957
    -SDC

Jeremy, I hear were your coming from, however, the store I'm looking at is one of the dozen or so stores in the entire USA selling Gibson mandolins......I'd expect them to have more than one F9. I'm also not going to buy another mandolin without playing it first, since Gibson only sells thru OAI dealers it seems I'm limited in my options and choices, if I test drive a decent mandolin then there's a good chance I'm buying it.
    Lee
    Lee Hill

Another thing too... #Most of those new dealers were probably just signed at the NAMM show this past January. #So, it's probably going to take a while for a decent amount of inventory to hit the stores.
    Steve Perry
    Sumi SF5 Birdseye

"Quit thinkin'... Just play"

Oh the joy of living within driving distance of Mandolin Brothers and a few others. Being the guy that I am I have planned my vacations around getting to places that have instruments I want to play. The fact that I drove from New Jersey to Malone, NY to Lousiville, KY and then Nashville, TN in a week last year shouldn't be any indication of of my illness. I did bypass stopping in Athens, OH or diverting the route to Lansing, MI. I can tell you that I totally agree with the idea of going someplace where you can actually play several Mandolins to decide which one you want to buy. It's worth the trip to any of the larger stocking dealers. I played 10 different Gibson mandolins before I bought my F5-G and that included models above and below the F5-G. When you find the one that has the sound you're looking for you'll know it.

Steve, you make a good point....inventory could be low due to only being a OAI dealer for 6 months. I asked if they were expecting more inventory and the reply was maybe another mandolin or two in the next few months.

Diego, playing 10 or 15 mandolins before plucking down $5 or $6000 dollars is exactly what I'm hoping to do. I take it, that you had to basically tour the Northeast to play as many as you did. Back in the day before these exclusive dealers I could find a Gibson mandolin here and there and not have to travel too many miles to do so.
    Lee
    Lee Hill

No, actually I found them all at Mandolin Brothers. On vacation last year I was buying a banjo. If I hadn't found the one I was looking for I would have done a round trip to Elderly, Janet Davis, or First Quality. If you're going to spend that kind of money you should have some choices.

Diego, thank you. I wish I could find the time to travel throughout the south in search of the right one. Nashville is 9 hours north so I guess I'm not totally out of options.
    Lee
    Lee Hill

Lee, that looks like a nice overnight trip to me. Take the wife, make it special. Let her pick out the strap.

You can go to www.gibson.com and look at the mandolins and see who is a dealer. The last time I looked we had no dealers in Florida. That could explain not having any mandolins except one and who knows where it came from or how long it has been there. I'm not saying he is or is not a dealer, I'm just not familiar with him. We have been expanding our dealer base over the last few months so it should get better around the country. I know of no dealer who only has one and is a current OAI dealer. The minimal stocking inventory is greater than that.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

For someone looking to try several mandos, Gibson or otherwise, it's well worth a pilgrimage to one of the few stores that exist with good selection ... it it's at all possible. It's also worth asking around on the cafe if there are folks in your area who have instruments you are interested in trying... people are nice, and will often be willing for you to come try their instrument. Also, festivals can be good places to see and try several different instruments.

In my searchings, I've spent the hours going up to Mandolin Brothers, and also got a chance to play in the extensive collection of a Cafe member who lives near me.

And the fact that not everyone can do that is one of the main reasons behind all the buying and selling of mandos around here... it just takes a while to be able to sample enough to find the right one.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Looking at the Gibson dealer map here, I see that it's no longer called "OAI", but "GOI" (Gibson Original Instruments), and that the Leitz Music Company in Panama City, Florida, are indeed one of them. From the initial post in this thread, nobody seems to have told them about what being a Gibson dealer means according to that web site:

Quote Originally Posted by
    The integrity of Gibson, built up over generations, is in the hands of Gibson Original dealers. They are the keepers of the flame. These dealers offer:

- The full range of Gibson Original models to try out.
    - Proper setups so you can compare all models equally.
    It may well be a transition effect, as a result of having so many new dealers signing up again.

Martin

Thanks Martin, The Gibson site is where I located Leitz Music.
    Big Joe, now you know of one Gibson dealer with only one mandolin.
    I'm not sure what to do at this point but I'll figure something out.
    Thanks for everyones advice.
    Lee
    Lee Hill

There are cute phrases that seem to fit here. #An elephant was a mouse designed by a committee. #A camel was a horse designed by a committee. #Replace committee with corporate thinking and you have Gibson. #Big Joe, no offense intended, as you and that bunch at the Showcase, are great people to work with. #The corporate mentality with that company is simply horrendous. #But, in spite of that, they still put out a superior, abett, somewhat Harley like overhyped priceing, mandolin. #During their last corporate hiccup when they just cut off a lot of long time dealers, resulted in my deciding to buy a non Gibson product. #I was willing to wait 9 months for Chris Stanley to make me one rather than support a corrupt business model. #That is just #my opinion, but I don't think I am alone. #The sad thing is that I live 40 miles from the Showcase. #They had a customer that they lost. It didn't have to happen.
    Tony

Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Quote Originally Posted by
    superior,
    Not sure you really meant this. If you did, I disagree that it's a superior product. I haven't found one yet (including the dmm) that's superior to my Duff or Brock. You might find an equal one, but you'd have to go way up the line (and price.)

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by (martinjonas @ June 17 2006, 04:41)
    The integrity of Gibson, built up over generations, is in the hands of Gibson Original dealers. They are the keepers of the flame. These dealers offer:

- The full range of Gibson Original models to try out.
    - Proper setups so you can compare all models equally.
    If this is the case why isn't there ONE Guitar Center in the nation that carries F5Gs. #I called many of the Florida locations and they told me there is not one listed in their nationwide database; Only avliable for special order.

Paula, I would put a number of brands in the superior category Gibson is just one. Maybe superier was not the best adjective. As far as tone, I would include Gilchrist, Dudenboestal, and Stanley. I have not heard a Duff or a Brock or an number maker's instruments and as such would not put them in that category, but might well if I heard one. By superior, I mean better than most throughout the lineup. They also have their own sound that tends to run through their lineup also. I think Gibson along with the ones I mentioned above meet this criteria. My issue with Gibson is the treatment of their dealers, and as such us their customers. This includes the price and inconvenience they foist on the public. No dealers in Fla; that is simply rediculous. Are they the best, I didn't say that, nor would I. Also, I am only referring to post 2000 models.
    Tony
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172