Thread: New bouzouki player

Hi people, I just got married a few weeks ago and there is an old Swedish tradition that the man gives his new wife a precious gift, as an insurance if something happens to him. Now, this won't pay the bills if something would happen, but anyway, my husband gave me an Irish bouzouki the morning after our wedding day. I play the mandolin and have been talking about that it would be nice to also play the bouzouki.

So, here I am with a brand new bouzouki and I'm a complete beginner. I have played some guitar and now the mandolin for the last 10 years but not much rhythm really, apart from bluegrass chops on the mandolin.
    I have the zouk tuned ADAD or GCGC to make the chording easier, I previously tried GDAD but found it quite difficult to play chords, I may try that tuning again later if I decide to play melodies, but at the moment my aim is to play chords only with some fills and things related.

I'm looking for some good tutor book or CD-rom/DVD to help me learn, I have Tim O'Brien's mandolin/bouzouki DVD but it's not really for beginners even if it is a great inspiration. The chords are no problem it seems, but I need some help with strumming patterns and other playing techniques that may be nice for playing Irish music. Any suggestions? Does anyone know anything about Jim Cowdery's EXPLORING THE BOUZOUKI?

Hey Bluegrasstjej, I may have the ideal video suggestion for you. I have really learned a lot from John Doyle's dvd entitled: Irish Rhythm Guitar - Accompanying Celtic Tunes. It is for guitar, but, the great thing is that it really focuses on strumming patterns and other right hand technique that gives that great celtic punch to rhythm playing! John Doyle is just fantastic and he brings John Williams along on button accordian. This is really great stuff, I have enjoyed it and I don't even own a guitar! I use my octave mandolin or mandolin to get a grasp on the strumming patterns that I want to learn. Check out the homespun tapes website for more info. and good luck in your bouzouki journey!
    Richard Russell

Check out the Gerry McKee CD from madfortrad.com. It's a basic approach to bouzouki rhythm playing that might be just what you're searching for. Hope this is helpful.

Steve #

"Exploring the Bouzouki" is a 20 year old very short booklet with an accompanying recording with some background information on the instrument and a handfull of tunes. It's not bad for what it is, but doesn't go very far. #I would second the Gerry McKee recommendation and would add the Zan McLoud (sp?} video lesson from Homespun Tapes. #Unfortunately for you, non of these are in ADAD. #"Exploring..." and Gerry McKee's are in GDAE and Zan's is in GDAD. #Man, would I love a video lesson from Jamie MacMenemy!!!!

Congratulations on your bouzouki and your marriage and good luck.

Steve

He hasn't published any instructional materials, however I believe that Swedish guitarist/bouzoukist extraordinaire Roger Tallroth (of the group Vasen) uses ADAD tuning.

Seth