Thread: Pain & knot under my left index finger(fret hand)

Before you suggest it, I've already left a message for my doc, and plan to go in next week after the long weekend, but I thought maybe someone here may have experienced this. Right at the bend where my palm meets my index finger, I have developed a hard spot under my skin. It's not visible but you can feel it very easily. It feels like a large BB under the skin. It's roundish, hard and painful to the touch, and stretching my hand to fret has become somewhat painful. I believe this has come up in the last couple of weeks. If it was there before, it wasn't painful or as big, so I didn't notice. I've never had any hand injuries, except for moderate and typical carpal tunnel symptoms in years past. Any ideas, folks? Thanks.
    My original IV mandolin kit blog- http://makingamandolin.blogspot.com/

You might check out the following, just to be better informed when you see the doc:

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/gangl...t/page7_em.htm

I got one of these on the palm side of the middle knuckle of the fretting hand index finger a couple of years ago. Rest (hard to do for a mando player) and some prescription strength anti-inflammatories did the trick, no recurrence, knock on wood.

R

Thanks mando bandage, it's gotta be a ganglion cyst like the link you sent described. #Check this out- "Ganglion cysts most commonly occur on the back of the hand (60-70%), at the wrist joint and can also develop on the palm side of the wrist. When found on the back of the wrist, they become more prominent when the wrist is flexed forward. Other sites, although less common, include these: The base of the fingers on the palm, where they appear as small pea-sized bumps #..."

I've heard of these but never looked into it much. I'm hoping if it's one of these, the doc can drain it, because I can't stand the thought of taking much time off. Thanks again man.
    My original IV mandolin kit blog- http://makingamandolin.blogspot.com/

To quote Otter from Animal House: "Pre-law, pre-med, what's the difference?"

R

I've had quite a few ganglion cysts over the years, and all have gone away by themselves. I'm pretty sure I have one now on my left index finger, and I'm hoping it, too, will go away soon.

Thumbs up

Darren the conservative approach is to let it heal and diminish on its own however the fast fix is a needle aspiration; your primary MD can take care of that. Lp
    J.Lane Pryce