Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peter Buck & Mandolins

Default Peter Buck & Mandolins

Just thought I'd post a picture of a note I got today from Peter Buck in response to a note I had sent him. I wanted to thank him for being my inspiration for learning the mandolin and out of curiosity asking him what mandolins he likes to play. (DORKY I know!!) Anyway... Rock on folks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2402.jpg 
Views:	1385 
Size:	152.0 KB 
ID:	116413

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CSIMelissa For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Peter Buck & Mandolins

That was nice of him. In this day of email and Facebook it's nice to see a handwritten letter.

Phil

Very cool.

Very cool indeed.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

I guess you now know which F model to buy!
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    I guess you now know which F model to buy!
    Ha - well I'm still set on a Breedlove F-Style but whenever I'm ready to buy in another year or so who knows what will come my way!

working for the mando.... Bluetickhound's Avatar

I met him once at a record store in Athens and he really is a genuinely good dude... he handed ne a copy of a Big Star CD (Alex Chilton's band... for those who may be unfamiliar, he's worth looking up. ) and we chatted about local bands for a bit. I'm not surprised in the least he would take the time to do this.
    "A creative man is driven by the the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."

Rayburn Mandolins
    https://m.facebook.com/rayburnmandol...urce=typeahead

My ex-wife used to write people letters all the time. Once she got a very nice, lengthy handwritten response from Graham Parker. She also brought Richard Thompson flowers at a show in a small venue.

I, on the other hand, used to write lots of letters begging people to publish my music. I have a wall full of rejection letters . . .
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

I'd never really done anything like that before so I was pleased with my response.

Cool you met him once Bluetickhound!

Planning on framing the note.

working for the mando.... Bluetickhound's Avatar

As much as I used to hang around Athens I probably met a ton of folks that I didnt even recognize, along with all yhe ones I DID recognize. Most of 'em were very approachable down to earth folks.
    "A creative man is driven by the the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."

Rayburn Mandolins
    https://m.facebook.com/rayburnmandol...urce=typeahead

+1 on the very cool. Is that "out of time" stationary he used? bb

13. The following members say thank you to bohemianbiker for this post:

Years ago when I lived in Atlanta I had a quite a few friends who had spent considerable time in Athens. I've heard quite a few stories about what a down-to-earth and generally friendly guy Peter Buck is - Michael Stipe, on the other hand, tended to elicit less flattering stories. One of the things I love about Buck is that he still plays small club gigs with Robyn Hitchcock every few years. Even when when REM was still together and doing the occasional tour, he'd show up with Hitchcock at places like the Ottobar in Baltimore or The Black Cat in DC. I think it takes a guy with a firm grip on his ego, and just a general love of playing music, to have no issues going from being the lead guitarist in a band that is selling out arenas in front of thousands of fans to cramming into a van with a few friends and playing small club gigs to a hundred or so people.

15. The following members say thank you to Alex Orr for this post:

I never got heavily into their music (heard the hits on the radio, they were huge when I was in high school) but I always thought Buck was a very good guitarist. He has a sound and style all his own. And anyone who plays knows how hard it is to get a clean, simple and basic sound that is consistent. Tom Petty is another that's really good at this.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caleb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bohemianbiker View Post
    +1 on the very cool. Is that "out of time" stationary he used? bb
    I actually printed out the CD art for him to sign; wasn't expecting him to write such a nice note on the bottom! Wanted the CD art to reflect an album of theirs that is heavy on the mandolin since I'm going to hang it near where I keep my mando.

19. The following members say thank you to CSIMelissa for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Orr View Post
    Years ago when I lived in Atlanta I had a quite a few friends who had spent considerable time in Athens. I've heard quite a few stories about what a down-to-earth and generally friendly guy Peter Buck is - Michael Stipe, on the other hand, tended to elicit less flattering stories. One of the things I love about Buck is that he still plays small club gigs with Robyn Hitchcock every few years. Even when when REM was still together and doing the occasional tour, he'd show up with Hitchcock at places like the Ottobar in Baltimore or The Black Cat in DC. I think it takes a guy with a firm grip on his ego, and just a general love of playing music, to have no issues going from being the lead guitarist in a band that is selling out arenas in front of thousands of fans to cramming into a van with a few friends and playing small club gigs to a hundred or so people.
    I agree, Alex. No pretentiousness there. It's probably a nice change to play the smaller clubs and now to be playing music just for the sake of playing music, not because it is "work". (IF that makes sense.) Would love to meet him or Mike Mills one of these days! LOL

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

I love it!...Another Flatiron endorsement!

Nice experience for you CSI...
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

22. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

His penmanship is as bad as mine. That makes me feel better.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to testore For This Useful Post:

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

He once brushed past me (with Robyn Hitchcock) in a tiny venue in Bristol UK... Watching him play on that tiny stage with Robyn was really cool. If only I'd made the (suddenly arranged) Oxford gig where there were two more "surprise" guests
    But your letter is way cooler
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

"Losing my religion" was the reason I bought my first mandolin back in the early 90s. I can't have been the only one. I wonder how many people started on a mandolin journey because of that album.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to James Rankine For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Badgers View Post
    He once brushed past me (with Robyn Hitchcock) in a tiny venue in Bristol UK... Watching him play on that tiny stage with Robyn was really cool. If only I'd made the (suddenly arranged) Oxford gig where there were two more "surprise" guests
    But your letter is way cooler
    Still, that's really cool too!

Quote Originally Posted by James Rankine View Post
    "Losing my religion" was the reason I bought my first mandolin back in the early 90s. I can't have been the only one. I wonder how many people started on a mandolin journey because of that album.
    Mine did!! Mine did! (That and a few songs off their Green album which was released before Out of Time) I would not have touched a mandolin if it wasn't for Peter Buck. I just wish it didn't take me 20+ years to finally buy one.

30. The following members say thank you to CSIMelissa for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    ... anyone who plays knows how hard it is to get a clean, simple and basic sound that is consistent. Tom Petty is another that's really good at this.
    Also the lead guitarist in The Heartbreakers ,Mike Campbell. He is very efficient, even understated, in the way he uses his time in constructs his leads. He may not be as flashy as many others when he plays, but his solid, direct, uncluttered style is more moving and memorable for all that. I think that when I understood how good he was and why that I understood my tastes had achieved a maturity that I hadn't even realized I had been evolving toward for some time. Petty picked up on his talent very early on, back in Gainesville, and got him in the band, all of them sneaking him into gigs while he was still underage, because he knew he was a keeper. He also gives the impression of being as down-to-earth and ego-free as Peter Buck.

Rather late to this thread; driven by curiosity about the note, as mentioned elsewhere. Cool story. My favorite stories about meeting famous musicians have this same theme of their humility running through them, too. Almost every time they respond better when you talk to them like just plain folks, rather than as a fawning fan. I get the feeling they get way too much of that once they reach a certain level of popularity. The better-grounded ones understand idolization is a distraction at best, and can easily get in the way of having a normal conversation. I've spent more time talking about stuff like fishing or cars with some of these folks than music, and I believe they appreciated the chance to talk about anything else other than how great they are, no matter how great they are.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Well my friend, it's like I have always said - they are just normal people who just happen to have an awesome job.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSIMelissa For This Useful Post:

Way cool. Good on ya PB !
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

i was in a band in the early 80's that played Athens, GA a bunch and got to hang out with him and the other guys in REM. Though i was exposed to bluegrass growing up in Georgia at a young age, Peter Buck was what i thought about when it came to the mandolin. i just got serious about playing the mandolin and the first full song i learned was "losing my religion."

the guys from REM are really chill and never took their fame seriously. Buck was probably the more reclusive of the bunch but he liked the public and playing. Folks give Stipe a lot of flack but the fact is he's very shy and very arty, so that throws folks off. he's very kind and one of the more original people i've ever met.

36. The following members say thank you to roscoepwavetrain for this post: