Thread: An F- style kit coming from IV?

Any details on this rumor? After hearing all the praise for their A-style kit I am excited at the prospect of an F-style kit. Despite the pros and cons of F vs A, I really covet the F. If they can do one that is comparable in quality and affordability to their A kit, watch out! I've been resisting buying that A kit in the hopes of getting an F kit. You out there Ken??
    The Loar LM-700
    Rover RM-75
    Washburn M3SW-TS

Devilsbox,

Ken posted this in Buddyellis' IV kit post.

"The F model samples came in. One with flame and one without flame. I have on the way white (unvarnished) mandolins too in both A and F! The kits looked good but before I dive in I wanted to have a good customer finish one and then get back to me on what needs to be changed if need be. You will see his work on a blog soon. It should be done by Monday so keep your eyes pealed for that. After I get the thumbs up I will have them, I hope in 4-6 weeks. I could fly some in to get them sooner but the shipping would make them very costly."

Can we get details from Ken on the while mandos? Like are the fully graduated, etc.?

This is good news, the hammer is poised over my piggy bank.
    The Loar LM-700
    Rover RM-75
    Washburn M3SW-TS

The white Mandolins will be only slightly more then the kits!! I will not know for sure how much until the shipping bill comes. The great thing about the White unvarnished mandolins are having control with inlays, varnish color, types of varnish used and having a hand in customizing your own instrument while saving lots of money. Win win. Some folks can check graduations but they should be good already. Just like white violins, folks may choose to thin the top some if desired. The parts will have to be sold seperate like the machines, bridge, etc... I will receive these samples in a few days and once again I would love to get them in the hands of a person that will work one up and give me some feed back (other then me).

Ken---You may just be starting a revolution in the mando world. If the quality of this project matches the A's that you have offered in the past, the price barriers that were a huge obstacle to players may just crumble as folks realize that there is an alternative to high priced instruments, and that your kit can be personalized by builders and have the pride of building and ownership. Thanks for your efforts and follow through.

Hmmm, I think I may get in for a white F. My A should be done in a week or two, only 14 months after I bought it.

Registered User OlderThanWillie's Avatar

My International Violin Company (IV) sales flyer arrived today & offered an A-model mandolin kit. It's the MK7 which is the same as the MK1 but no f-holes in the pre-carved top & no book for $95. Now you can cut that oval hole you've been wanting.

OTW