Thread: Steam Powered Aereo Plane

Does anyone know if this tune is tabbed out for mando? I can't seem to find it at any of the usual places. I'm a Hartford freak and would love to play this melody. Thanks.

I'm hoping somebody has this as well... my banjo playin' buddy is a Hartford freak and I don't have a break for this either!

Chris

For some reason I've been listening to that disc all week--gotta find where in the cd pile I put Aero-takes. anyway, the tune that I gotta learn on that record is "Up on the Hill Where They Do the Boogie". I really like Blake's mandolin- he does a really cool rhythm. Don't mean to hijack the thread- but anybody got a handle on that oneor Presbyterian guitar. Really about the only tune i can play on guitar is Presbyterian guitar but Blake plays mando on that on Aerotakes which is interesting too.

Hartford is the man...

I can't believe nobody has tabbed this tune out (anyone? anyone?)...

I have a cool live show from the Ancramdale (sp?)Bluegrass Festival; Midnight Jam featuring Ronnie and Del McCoury, John Hartford and a few others...to make a long story short they did an extended version of SPA and it rocks!!!

no tab, but it is a pretty basic tune in G

G Am Am C G, with a Bm and a D in the chorus.

The spirit of Hartford would probably be offended by "rote learning" in tab-style...so hum along with it til you get the feel of where the "gen-u-wine old-fashioned authentic steam-powered areo-plane" is goin'.

When I do this song, I tend to mirror the feel of the lyric melody, not the actual melody notes themselves...there are many variations, just get in the mood and go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by (om21ed @ May 20 2006, 15:45)
    anyway, the tune that I gotta learn on that record is "Up on the Hill Where They Do the Boogie". I really like Blake's mandolin- he does a really cool rhythm.
    If I recall correctly, "Up On The Hill..." is in D and it's a pretty straight forward progression. I haven't noodled on it in awhile so I can't be very specific. Blake doesn't do anything particularly fancy on it (simplicity is part of Blake's genius if you ask me). I think it's a slide into the D chord, with D and A in the verse part and G-D-A-D in the chorus, then a walk from G up to D on the 1st & 2nd strings. Like I said... I only noodled around with it and it's been awhile, but that's what's coming to mind.

I've mentioned this before but since it ties into Blake's simplicity: has anybody listened to the Fiddler's Dream/Whiskey Before Breakfast on Blake and Rice? I can't get it to sound right, but I think all Blake does for rhythm is strum a D chord and let it ring. I don't hear any chord change behind Rice's leads, but it's one of the best mando backups I've ever heard.

pd
    "... beauty is not found in the excessive but what is lean and spare and subtle" - Terry Tempest Williams

Quote Originally Posted by (G_Smolt @ May 23 2006, 13:05)
    The spirit of Hartford would probably be offended by "rote learning" in tab-style...so hum along with it til you get the feel of where the "gen-u-wine old-fashioned authentic steam-powered areo-plane" is goin'.
    I concur and greatly appreciate the chords!#

Up on The Hill Where They do The Boogie:

D string drones and then you play on the
    G string way up on the 9th hammering to 11th
    you can figure out the rest from there...gotta go down to the 7th fret...also 11th to 12th etc....just listen to it
    and play it out of this position and it will become apparent

the mando part on the bridge is a tremolo-ed chromatic walk up on the G string

O 1 2 3 4 etc.....

the guitar plays the chords during the bridge:

G E A F#m Bm C then the G to D

Norman B. sure does play some tasty mando on that album!

Hope that helps

Perry

Thanks for the tips, esp Perry I think you explained what I was looking for. I think I'll put the Blake Mandolin instruction DVD on my Father's Day wish list--sure to be over my ability level but fun to watch...Now where did I put Natasha's Waltz ..

Howdy...

Last night when I posted I didn't have an instrument in hand so just now I edited my post and added what I think are the chords to the bridge in Up on the Hill...

Perry

Thanks for that Perry... it looks like a good excuse to break out the mando and Aereoplane again and try it out.

Paul Doubek
    "... beauty is not found in the excessive but what is lean and spare and subtle" - Terry Tempest Williams