Thread: Famous Old Time Music

That's easy: if there is no trial period and you can't get there to try it in person before you put down the money, don't buy it.

And, for clarification, I'm not dissing the owners. They can run the business any way they want. But I wouldn't recommend buying a mando (even a Loar) without trying it first.

Fiddles
    Arches F4 / Newson F5
    Crump B1 / Old Wave GOM

Vernon and Kitty McIntyre..the owners of FOTM...are good people....Im sure if you decide you dont like it they would make things right with you. On the other hand if its feasible to check the mando out personaly that should be an option too.

My take is if they said no trial period, that's what they mean. My dealings with them lead me to believe if you buy it, it is yours.
    Dave in Loveland, OH
    dvoyles276@fuse.net

i think if you explain to vernon what the situation is he would probably work something out. he's been in the buisness a long time so he should understand. just out of interest is it the f4.5 smithcreek? i played it a couple of weeks ago and i was impressed.

I actually took mando lessons from kitty up until recently and she used to play the F4. It really was a nice instrument. I never asked to play it so I can't give you any personal take on it, but it sure sounded real good. And I second your thoughts, mandopluker, they are really good people. I'm hopin' to take more lessons in the fall, barring that gas prices don't get to $4.00 a gallon (it's about a 30 minute drive for me).:D

Kelly
    Collings MT #800

A-3

I think they have the right to have a "No returns" policy; as long as they let people know.

Gruhn's has only a 24-hour approval policy on used instruments and they are strict about it. They (Gruhn's) has a "No returns" on new instruments that they sell - after they ship it is between you and the manufactor.

Elderly's has a 48-hour approval period and are understanding about it. If you must mail-order and must have approval period, BUY FROM ELDERLY - I have no $ interest.