Thread: Bridge angle

I have just noticed, after restringing, that the top part of the bridge on my Eastman 515 is leaning forward. I don`t know how long it has been like this (OK, I know I should be more observant)but it does not seem to be having an adverse effect, intonation and action seem fine, still sounds nice.
    What should I do ? leave well alone or go for a replacment bridge ?

Lean that one back to where it was.

It's common for mandolin bridges to lean toward the fingerboard, especially following a string change. Tightening the strings tends to pull it that direction.
    Loosen the strings, lean the bridge back toward the tailpiece until the feet are evenly in contact with the top, and keep giving it little pushes to keep it there as you tighten the strings back up.

If it's only the saddle leaning forward, and it's loose on the posts, there's not much you can do to help it. If it's playing fine, either keep playing, or look for a good replacement bridge and get a set up that includes fitting the new bridge. No hurry, but it will most likely sound better.

What John said, plus:

If the bridge or saddle is defective, Eastman will probably replace it for you. They sent me a new saddle when mine broke due to grain runout.

Thanks John,
    It is the second scenario, it is only the top half of the bridge that is leaning forward, the feet are still firmly planted. I will start thinking about that replacement.

Funny, my Eastman 804 has the same problem and I was going to post about it today...

Just possible it is not a real problem. Even the very best made bridges, with exactly bored saddle holes, can and do lean forward. Very carefully "sliding" the saddle back up to center, being careful not to shift the base or break anything is standard mandolin bridge maintenance, and something every player needs to feel comfortable doing. I usually do it (very carefully!) with the strings up to pitch, but they can also be loosened some to make it easier; the problem with that is you then have to do a furious bout of tuning that can pull the saddle forward again. Whenever I change strings, I like to hook my right hand's pinky or thumb around the saddle on the appropriate end for the string that I am tuning to help hold it back from being pulled forward excessively by the tuning and the string tension. There are few things in life as satisfying as "popping" a bridge saddle into it's exact placement, and hearing the mandolin's tone say: "That's the spot!"
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues