Thread: Gibson Copyright on Replacement Parts

I know several topics have gone round and round on the Gibson copyright issues - that is not the intention of this topic.

I keep hearing a lot about the Gibson copyrights when I try to buy replacement parts for a Gibson. I would appreciate some way in from Big Joe or others on what is and isn't allowed. I'm trying to separate the facts from the rumors.

I tried to purchase a MOP truss rod cover for a Gibson and was told they couldn't sell it to me because of the Gibson copyright issue? Okay, what gives here? How does one buy a replacement cover?

I'm trying to replace the tailpiece on a Gibson and would like "The Gibson" engraved on the cover. I'm told I can't have that engraved because of the Gibson copyright issue? Okay, whay gives here? How does one buy a replacement cover or even upgrade the tailpiece?

I don't see anybody complaining about the Gibson copyright issue when Gibson Grovers are replaced with Waverly's.

What is the legal scoop? Is Gibson cornering the market and only allowing themselves to do replacements and upgrades?

If you own a Gibson I don't see why you you just wouldn't buy from Gibson. If you have a beef with them sell the mandolin and buy one from a company you like and like to deal with.

And there is always eBay...

Blog Entries

If Big Mon can scratch out inlay you should be able to get a replacement truss rod cover unless, you want it to have a Gibson image on it (like "The Gibson"). AS far as the Tailpiece goes buy a tail piece and take it someplace like Thngs Remembered" or a Jewler to have it engraved. I would imageine if you ever had a warranty issue, Gibson would prefer, Corporately as a policy not the guys in the shop, to only cover the mandolin if it had and always only had Gibson parts installed by Gibson staff on it. I'm not sure of that but if I had company that's what my policy would be, but maybe I would work with you... Are you wanting a Gibson stamped tailpiece or something like the James? Why don't you ask BigJoe directly?

Gibson can't stop anyone from working on one of their products. Independent work done on their product may imapact your warranty. That's the only thing to consider.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by (jim_n_virginia @ April 24 2006, 09:23)
    If you own a Gibson I don't see why you you just wouldn't buy from Gibson. If you have a beef with them sell the mandolin and buy one from a company you like and like to deal with.

And there is always eBay...
    I don't understand what you're trying to say. And Gibson doesn't manufacturer every item used on a Gibson.

I didn't realize that Gibson was in the parts market. If I want to replace the plastic truss rod cover with a MOP truss rod cover, do I have to go to Gibson for that?

IRT the tailpiece, yes, I would like to replace the stamped tailpiece with a James tailpiece. Sorry Gibson, the standard tailpiece is an inferior product when compared to some of the cast tailpieces or the James tailpiece. If I play a Gibson, am I suppose to be tied to only original parts?

Like I originally stated, I don't want to get into flaming war and throw around rumors. I'm looking for a straight answer from Gibson as to what can be done legally.

The bell shaped truss rod cover is a Gibson trademark so Gibson is the only one supposed to provide that. You can put whatever tailpiece cover you want on it, but if you want it to say Gibson, you have to get it from us. We do have them available most times so getting one is not an issue. Just call 615-514-2200 x 3 during store hours and you can get one. Problem solved.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Thanks Joe for the response. Does Gibson sell the MOP truss rod covers? Will they engrave tailpieces?

I was told this am by a luthier that he can no longer get MOP truss rod covers from First Quality, yet they can now sell the flower pot inlay. What's the deal on that? I thought the flowerpot was copyrighted.
    Russ Jordan

Just got off the line with Gibson. They will sell you a MOP truss rod cover; I've got one on order. They can engrave tailpieces if it is one of theirs; they won't engrave 3rd party items. Thanks Joe.

I'm glad I got my truss rod covers early.

Hey Big Joe, I do understand protecting the Gibson name however I don't understand why nobody ever responded to my e-mails regarding the moron on eBay that sells "Gibson Copy" mandolins. Basically cheap imports with clumsy "The Gibson" and "Gibson" inlay on the headstock. I sent the first e-mail message months ago and the last one a few weeks ago. Maybe it's me but I think that might be a more egregious act than First Quality selling engraved truss rod covers.

I'm not sure who you sent them to, but I never saw any. When I get them I forward them to our security department and they take it from there. We do appreciate the information, but I don't know who it as sent to. Thank you.
    Joe
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

The Contact Customer Service e-mail address on your website. I didn't see a security address. I just did a quick check and it looks like the guy has finally been removed from eBay. He was out there for months.