Thread: Thick Necks

Besides Weber mandolins and the Gibson Sam Bush, which makes and/or models are known for their thick necks?

The standard Rigel and Breedlove necks are pretty substantial.

Silver Angel and Laura Ratcliff are too.
    Wye Knot

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

Some Lebeda necks are "baseball bat" style (the ones I have) although I think he also does a V. It is very comfortable, even though I have smaller hands. Check with Jeff Cowherd for more info.

I have a Rose F-5 that is 1 3/16 at the nut. Custom neck. Nice mando but the neck is too big for me. If you're at all interested let me know.
    Leo R
    Burnsville, Mn

10 Gibson MM
    08 Weber Coyote
    46, 58 D-28
    45 D-18
    27 RB-3

Thick-necked Gibson. He he.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Pre-Gibson pre-trussrod Flatiron's have big ol' fat necks, but not an overly wide fingerboard. My pre-Gibson Flatiron with a truss rod has a real nice slim V neck.

Chip

Blog Entries

That Weber thick neck can be deceiving. They have one neck profile that is a bullky U-shape. It didn't work for my hand. However, upon my complaint they shaved it down to the profile I wanted, and considered it a warranty repair.

In otherwords, they actually gave me a completely new neck, literally. They found a crack that existed in my old neck, which must have occured during shipping. They gave me a new neck to my specs, restained it and glossed it, etc. It was all under warranty.

What a great company.
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

Skin-it... I guess I'm wondering whether you mean thick or wide. I find the Weber U shape necks to be too bulky (thick)... that is, there's too much material to reach around. (I understand that this is not true for all Webers, and also that some people like the neck this way). But the Breedlove neck is wide without being bulky ... to my hand, at least.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Blog Entries

Yes, I used to play a Breedlove, and the neck was wide, not bulky. Of course, some reputed luthiers on here (Paul H.) have testified t hat the big necks are the way to go. It probably has something to do with neck longevity. I'm sure those guys would explain that it has to do with the cosmo p-gravity taking a left around the moon and reflecting off of the earth's interstellar space suit back into the body of the mandolin.

To me, it's just too big for my hand to fit comfortably. I accept that I'd have to get a new neck 50 years from now. Wait...I play a nice solid Weber neck now. I had it shaved, like I said, but it still is substantial.
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

My '21 F4 has about the tickest neck of any I've played, yet it is perhaps the most comfortable. Perhaps this is because it has been my main mandolin for 30 years and I'm used to it. I have a Djangolin that has a thick neck, but the U-shaped profile is nowhere near as pleasant as the Gibson.

Ditto to whoever said Silverangel. The neck on mine is like a ####### guitar.

...lol to the censoring. I promise I didn't try to swear. Does stinkin pass?

As a (stinkin') guitar player for 35+ years, I would view a guitar-like neck as good. I have played a Silverangel in the past 3 months and, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of looking into one of those.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by (otterly2k @ April 24 2006, 15:22)
    Skin-it... I guess I'm wondering whether you mean thick or wide. #I find the Weber U shape necks to be too bulky (thick)... that is, there's too much material to reach around. #(I understand that this is not true for all Webers, and also that some people like the neck this way). #But the Breedlove neck is wide without being bulky ... to my hand, at least.
    You pose a good question in differentiating between thick and wide. For my tastes, it would be some combination of both, but not too thick nor wide.

My 1984 Flatiron F-5 has a very beefy neck by mando standards, and I've always loved it.

# Now I'm trying to adjust to a Silver Angel neck that Ken thinks is big, but to me it's too skinny near the nut.
    # Although I have found certain fingerings far easier.

# Jury is still out for me whether I'll adapt or reorder later with a bigger neck.

# I do play guitar a lot, which probably affects my left hand position and what it's familiar with.