Thread: How high should the action be?

I checked my action on my old Gibson snakehead, and as best as I can tell, it's 1-2 millimeters high. I have an adjustable bridge, which I'm wondering if I need to raise. When I try to play forte, I get a buzz. How high should the action be, and does it sound like I should raise it? I would be most grateful for any help.
    Daniel Kaufman

So many variables. I generally start with the G strings 0.060" above the 12th fret and the E strings 0.050" - but adjust to match mandolin & player.
    Stephen Perry

What measurement is .060? My metric sense is not what it should be. Is that .06 millimeters, and if so, how do I measure that with a standard metric ruler?
    Daniel Kaufman

It's 60 thousandths of an inch.
    Jim

What do I use to get that kind of measurement?
    Daniel Kaufman

Try raising the bridge, a little at a time, just until you have no more buzzing problems. That is the goal, not a specific measurement, but a workable height.

1 mm = .040", so .060" = 1.5 mm

Dan,
    auto repair tool...'feeler guages'...is a set of various thicknesses of steel 'blades' in a pocket knife kind of format.
    they are marked as to their thickness. in thousandths of an inch on the north-american side of the pond.
    if you really want precision... [or the rocker arms are rattling in your motor]

if youre style is sfortzando, ie really whacking on it, then there is less buzz with a higher overall action.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I always set my action super low: I raise it just enough that I can play all the way up the fretboard without buzzing. I also use lighter gauge flatwound strings (FT74s or T1s). Obviously that's very much personal preference as some people wouldn't be willing to give up volume like that. If you're buzzing, you should probably raise the action until it stops. But after that point, it's just personal preference (playability vs. volume).

Thank you for that conversion table. That's something I can work with. The next time I change strings, I will try raising the action. My action is currently between 1-2 millimeters, so it's where it's supposed to be. Are there other factors that could be causing the buzzing when I try to play a little louder? I'm not trying to wail the instrument, so I don't think it's that I'm plucking too hard. What else should I look for?
    Daniel Kaufman

Blog Entries

If you pick your strings in a direction other than perpendicular to the fretbard you can cause buzzing. If you have uneven frets or an improperly set truss rod, or if the nut is cut too low...or...or... As Steve said, there are lots of variables.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

When I was a kid my parents could not afford nice instruments for me. #The action was so high you could shoot arrows off of them! #So over the years on my guitar and mando I must have super low action. #I would rather have a little bit of buzz than a higher action. #Over the years I have been able to control the buzz in my instruments by knowing when to play hard or soft on some strings. #It was either that or go crazy! #Works for me. # Nick:D
    ntriesch

So, it sounds like it's time to have the instrument looked at by a reputable person who could check out all these variables. Anyone know someone in Albuquerque, New Mexico?
    Daniel Kaufman

High enough that it sounds good but not so high that it feels too tough to play. Too low and you lose tone and projection, too high and you lose your lack of tendinitis.

I've never used feeler guages other than my own hands
    John McGann, Associate Professor, Berklee College of Music
    johnmcgann.com
    myspace page
    Youtube live mando