Thread: Look what I found in my moms backyard

This wood has been sitting out for 3 months (winter, so fairly dry) it has heavy fiddleback figure as you can see. Is it any good after sitting out for that long? What would it be worth?

The main log is approx 2.5+ feet across. There are two other branches that are easily nearly 2 foot across. You could easily get bass backs out of the main tree, presuming the figure holds, but not sure how wide the figure is, the one photo is just of a chip/slice, so its been in the weather, hence the gray.

I'm inclined to cut into it to see if it has gotten any mold in it, or whether it is still clear in the middle/whether the cracks go any deeper than the end.

Opinions?

-b

This is really a good one for Spruce!! What kind of wood is that? The resolution is not too good on this end. Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

Silver leaf maple is the variety, I believe.

Don't cut anything until you are ready to seal the ends. It might be plenty sound, still, if the checks and cracks haven't caused too much damage.

If you decide to process it, you'll need a chain saw, and some green wood end sealer. The sealer can be commercial sealer, like Anchor Seal, or Sealite 60, but parafin wax, disolved in paint thinner works, and is easier to find.

You would want to cut the end off, a little at a time, until you are past the end checks, decide what you want to use the wood for, and cut it to a length that works for that purpose. In other words, if you want to make bass backs, cut it long enough for that, if you only expect to make mandolins, cut it long enough for side/rib sets, or whatever.

The rounds need to be quartered, or at the very least halved, so that the wood can dry and shrink without splitting and checking. The ends of the pieces need to be thoroughly sealed, the bark removed, and then they need to be stored in a dry (but not too dry) place with good air circulation until they are further processed.

Do you know what kind of tree it is? Or if not, what part of the world is it in?

It is, I believe, silver leaf maple. It has been in my moms front yard for as long as I can remember (ever since I was old enough to remember, this was my grandma's old house). I came home for the week on vacation, and noticed they'd had it cut down. It is currently in a burn pile in the back yard in Florida. It was cut in late December, and it has been a fairly dry winter.

I noticed the tree was gone and was like 'man I wonder if that wood was good'

I asked about what had happened to it, and she said 'oh well its back there in the burn pile'

I'd try to save it, if I was in your situation.
    Winter in Florida isn't the same as winter in some other parts of the country, so there might be insect damage or fungus started, but, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

The curl looks great, if the color is good and the wood is still sound, there are lots of pretty mandolins in that tree!