Thread: hora zouk as an octave mandolin

So, I have read that the hora zouk(also troubador zouk as I have read) can be strung up as an octave mandolin as well as bouzouki, my question is, if strung up as an octave mandolin, will the stretch be greater than that of a standard octave mandolin, like say a trinity college or johnson with a 20' 3/4 length scale, since the hora has a scale length of 23'. also, does scale length refer to the length of the neck or what, I am new to stringed instruments and still trying to figure it all out.

halfling-
    scale length is the length of the active part of the string... measured between the bridge and the nut. Of course, the length of the neck is related to scale length.
    And where the frets are placed are calculated in relation to scale length. So... YES, the longer the scale, the longer the stretch of your fretting hand.

re: OM vs. 'zouk....
    the differences between these (as long as we're not talking about the Greek zouks, which are somewhat different... see other thread) are mostly about scale length and tuning. 23' is at the low end of zouk scales... and the high end of OM scales, typically. Zouks are more often used (I think) in alternate tunings with more open string sounds, where OM's may be more frequently simply tuned an octave below the mando. But these things are not totally standardized, and there's a lot of variation among players. Any zouk can be tuned an octave below mandolin tuning, and an OM can be tuned any way you want..it's just a matter of what string gauges would work best.

Which is right for you? Depends on hand size, what you like to play (a lot of notes/melodic lines or 2-3 finger chords), what you can afford, etc.

hope this is helpful...
    KE
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

hey, thanks a bunch

so, would a short scale bouzouki, strung up like an OM be a decent instrument for solo play. I had an OM sugested to me by a reliable source for an instrument that can play melody and harmony. I have played guitar some, more as a hobbyist than a musician, but I am looking for something more serious, I love celtic music. the mandolin doesnt have enough bass sound for me, but I know the scale length is short enough to play fast melodies. But with a 23 invh scale, would melody be too hard of a stretch for a beginner. Like I said i want something to play by myself and maybe with a few friends every now and again, and maybe something that could accompany singing.

My wife bought me a Hora OM off of Ebay a few months ago. I am very happy with it. A few thoughts...

1. I have no problem with the hand stretches. I DO find that I play more ofte up the neck (closer to the body of the OM) because the frets are closer together. But I have no problem playing open strings at the bottom of the neck (closer to the tuning pegs.

2. You will probably want to buy an ebony bridge for your Hora, because the one that comes from the factory leaves a lot to be desired.

3. When I was in purcahsing mode, alot of people on this chat list advised me to have the Hora set up realy well. It makes a big difference.

4. Melody is quite easy to play on this instrument. But if you want to play chords in order to accompany yourself, you may want to look at a guitar, instead. I find straight chord playing to sound kind of "chunky" and not as rich and robust as it would sound on a guitar.

5. One last thought (and this applies to OM's in general, not just the Hora): if you play together with a guitarist, you might get drowned out a little. The two instruments are in the same range and you won't stand out that much. Don't know if that is important to you. Just a thought.

Hope this helps...

Huda speaks truth.

The only thing I'd add is that hand size plays a big role in determining what scale will work for you. I have small hands... the 22.5" scale was too long for me to play melodic stuff comfortably. If you have medium-to-big hands, probably that 23" won't be a problem. But if your hands are on the small side or if you want to play fast tunes, I'd say you might want to go with a shorter scale.

Of course, you can slap a capo on there and have instant shorter scale. If you're playing by yourself you don't even have to worry about keys. If you're playing with others, you'll have to negotiate that.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Quote Originally Posted by (Huda @ Mar. 23 2006, 16:18)
    You will probably want to buy an ebony bridge for your Hora, because the one that comes from the factory leaves a lot to be desired.
    New bridge, and tailpiece as well.