Thread: Tailpiece replacement problem?

I think I may have done a stupid thing, so I sure would like a second opinion. #I just finished changing my stock tailpiece on my Breedlove KF to a new Allen AR-2. #All went well, except I just read the little instruction notes that came with it (after I installed it!) #and it mentioned that the screws are a little larger than the normal ones and I should drill the holes a size larger. I didn't! #They seemed to screw in ok, snug, but not excessively. #Now I'm worried that this might put unnecessary stress on the wood and could potentially crack. #Do you suggest I remove and put in the orginal screws that came with the stock tailpiece or I am I just being overly concerned?

Appreciate your feedback,

NewStrings

I wouldn't worry about it especially if they went in alright. If the difference in size is going to stress the wood, you should be able to see it now (if you take it back off for inspection).
    A correct sized drill bit is important for pilot holes but it sounds like you probably are in good shape. How do you like the Allen and did you consider others?

Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Thanks Jim for your quick response. #I feel better already! #

I chose the Allen first of all for looks I guess. #I like the style of it, traditional but with a modern look, sort of what the Breedlove K series is about. #As for sound, all I can say is WOW! #Big diffence, I guess mostly in volume and sustain. #In all fairness, the strings are brand new as well (Newtone P/B/s) but the Newtones that I removed were only a couple of weeks old. It just seems to have come to life -- hard to explain, but certainly a very noticable difference. Certainly worth the upgrade in my opinion.

Thanks again for your feedback,

NewStrings

I would not worry either. Once the screws are in there is little chance of cracking later. You would have twisted the head off the top of the screws or stripped the slot up if it had been too tight.
    Gibson A9
    Eastman 804D two point, blonde

Nothing is fool proof for a talented fool

I found it worthwhile on my Breedlove as well.
    And I echo what's been said... if this was going to cause a crack, it would have happened while you were putting the screws in. If you want to be 100% sure, next time you change strings, take of the tp and check underneath. But probably it went in fine and you have nothing to worry about. The increment of difference is pretty small.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!