Thread: goin to NY

Coming down to NYC for the first time this week to check out the Pogues reunion. Definately gonna check out Mandolin Bros. I know it's on Staten Island, is it easy to find from where the ferry lets off? How far of a walk? Anything standout there at the moment mandolin wise that I shouldn't miss? And lastly, any good record stores (especially vinyl) that a bluegrasser should check out while in town?

Violins and Mandolins Stephanie Reiser's Avatar

Virgin Records, down in the village, has nearly the entire lower basement floor devoted to B.G., folk, acoustic, etc.
    Don't forget Manny's, up around 50th or so street. They sell musical instruments.
    Good restaurants in that area, too.
    http://www.stephaniereiser.com then click mandolins

You don't want to try to walk to MandoBros from the ferry terminal. Take a taxi ($7?) or the bus ($2). I haven't been lately so I don't know what they have in stock.

You couldn't pay me to go to Manny's, but as Stephanie says, they do have musical instruments. There are still a few vinyl shops in the Village. The area of 3d Street, Bleeker and Greenwich Avenue is a good area to walk, although it really ain't what it used to be. If you're there, you might stop in Matt Umanov's, but don't count on that being a good experience....

Sorry for the cynicism. I lived in Manhattan for 17 years, and I've grown rather weary of what it has become. Enjoy your visit, and ignore my attitude. That's half what NYC is about.
    J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

...damn yankees

...just kidding ya JML, I am a southerner and find the same here: Enjoy your visit, and ignore my attitude. "That's half what Atlanta is about. "

~x

Matt Umanov Guitars in the Village is one of the nicer stores in Manhattan--although if you are shopping mandolins exclusively, don't expect to find more than a couple. Rudy's Music in midtown has small but nice acoustic room run by a fellow named Gordon who knows his stuff. Last time I was there they had about 8 mandos-- a Rigel, an old Gibson, a couple Webers and a couple Eastmans. Rudy's is surrounded by Manny's and Sam Ash, two giant megastores that, for all their stock, sell naught but disappointment.

Ditto what Mark said about Mando Brothers-- it's an absurdly long walk from the ferry dock, but a quick cab ride if you have the bucks, or a slightly less quick bus ride if you're econimizing. Mando Brothers has good directions on their web site. It's a very unassuming building in a very unassuming neighborhood, so you may want to ask the bus driver to tell you when you've arrived--if you're looking out the window for a big neon "Mandolin Brothers" sign, there isn't one.

Avoid Manny's.

Avoid Umanov's. Their slogan should be "If you didn't pay too much, you didn't but it here."

Go go Mandolin Bros. - guitars, mandolins, etc. GREAT selection, fair prices, knowledgeable and helpful staff.

Any other place in NY, IMHO, (and I live there) is simply a waste of time, money, or both.

I was at Umanov's recently... they had maybe 4-5 mandolins. #The nicest was a Collings MT, which I played for a few minutes. #Don't bother. #

Spend the time at Mando Bros. #You won't see the sights, but you WILL see/play a really good variety of mandos- they typically have in stock Collings, Eastman, Breedlove, Rigel, Phoenix, Mid-Mo, Weber, and some number of vintage Gibsons. (all in their mandolin room). They will also often have some miscellaneous others and sometimes gems like that Vega cylinderback that several of us played. #If you want to look at new Gibsons, they seem now to be kept in the all-Gibson room, and they have a few very high end mandos that they keep elsewhere, but will let you play if you ask.

IMHO, because they are who they are and where they are, they tend to be at the high end of the price range for many of their mandos. #While you can find a bargain there from time to time, mostly you won't. #You WILL find a great selection for comparison shopping, great service, knowledgeable staff, etc. #

I wasn't looking for it, but recall walking by several record stores (vinyl) in the Village. #I know it "ain't what it used to be"... but it's still a fun area to walk around.

Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Thanks for the info everyone. Any chance of catching Andy Statman while I'm there?

As others have indicated, NYC is a mandolin desert. A few in Rudy's, but the only real oasis is Mandolin Bros. (if you can count Staten Island as part of NYC <g&gt.
    Don't bother looking anywhere else.
    Bob Higgins
    Rigel Q-95
    Mid-Mo M4, M11
    Weber Hyalite Oval

Rudy's is not bad. I played my first Rigel and Eastman there as well as many nice acoustic guitars.

Lark Street Music in Teaneck is another one worth visiting. Tho not quite as mandocentric as Mandolin Brothers, Buzz usually has a few Collings and some vintage ones. It is close to the GW bridge so not right in the City but prob just as hard to get to as Mandolin Brothers.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Lark Street Music (On Cedar Lane) in Teaneck NJ has nice instruments. Mostly vintage.
    Maybe I'll stop by during lunch today and report.

Info on Statman is on his website. Info about the Greenwich Village performances is here:

http://andystatman.org/SeeDerechAmuno.htm

If you go on Thursday, PM me. I may be able to go.
    J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

well dang..gonna be there on thursday, but i'm gonna be at the pogues show that night. im gonna be there till sunday. that's a shame, i would have liked to have seen him

Violins and Mandolins Stephanie Reiser's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (J. Mark Lane @ Mar. 14 2006, 05:49)
    You couldn't pay me to go to Manny's, but as Stephanie says, they do have musical instruments. #
    Yeah, follow Mark's advice Re: Manny's. I haven't been there since the early 70's when I bought a natural Gibson Hummingbird. No need to.
    Got to get out to Mando-Bros, though. My friend Baron (PhishPan here) says great things about that place.
    Have a great trip! and don't forget to eat! One of the best things about Manhattan is the restaurants.
    http://www.stephaniereiser.com then click mandolins

I was there about a month ago, and theres an H1 mandola that blew my socks off and rearranged my thinkin

excellent, thanks again for all the info folks. you guys (and gals) are the best. im headin out in a few hours. long drive from nova scotia

Be sure to give us a report when you get back!
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well alright, here goes. NYC was a blast. The Pogues were flat out amazing, with some very good mandolin/bouzouki playing by Terry Woods. Shane was of course uncomprehensible between songs, but he was dead on with the vocals. Really good varied set, lots of stuff from all the albums. William Elliot Whitmore opened with a great set, just him and a tenor banjo. Slackers were also good, much better than the last time i saw em a few years ago.

Went to Mandolin Bros. on Friday and again on Saturday. Friday was much better, less people around. Saturday was a little crowded with what seemed like a banjo player in every room just randomly hitting notes. Tried out all the Gibson line in the room. Highlights were the Wayne Benson and the Sam Bush, both very different animals all together. Didn't see a MM or DMM unfortunately, was really hoping to try them out. The Phoenix line was a pleasant surprise, those are really nice, easy playing instruments. I really all of the line alot, but the jazz and ultra stood out to me. The bling of the ultra was a little much for my tastes but a really nice instrument all the same.

It was nice to try out the whole mid mo line as i had only played one before. Very nice instruments for the money as is oft repeated on here. The Eastmans were a let down honestly, really thin tone wise. I honestly expected more from all I've read here. They looked nice but no tone to my ears whatsoever. Not meant as a flame whatsoever, different strokes for different folks. Just my honest opinion. Same with the Webers and i played every one they had. I've felt that way for a while and this visit did nothing to change that. Great fit and finish on those and if you're into their tone, I'm sure they're a steal, just not for me.

As expected, the Collings line were really good. Definately some differences between them, not a dud in the bunch. My favorite was one of the MF5s. Absolute monster that thing was, great complex tone on single line stuff as well as double stops. Hit some chops along with some guy playin guitar, blew me away. Nice deep chop like my friends Gil. The varnish Monroe F5 was nice for sure, but not 12 large nice, especially tone wise for a played in instrument. I really dug the Bluett F5, really nice tone on that thing. As much as it kills me to say it, the Apitius did absolutely nothing for me. I had been looking forward to trying one out for awhile but was very underwhelmed. Hmm, what else....The Vega was very cool instrument, really unique tone out of that thing. I can see why people were so taken with it.

Played a couple F4s that i liked. That 40ish F4 is an interesting little piece for sure. I dug it after a few minutes of warming it up, kinda got into the tone. Also a killer (!!!) 17/18 ish F4. Well played in, lots of mojo on that one. Woulda walked out with it for sure if i could have swung it. Easy playing, great sounding F4, very nice.

All in all a very fun time in mandolin heaven and very friendly, helpful staff. Great experience. Gonna post up a few pics of the pogues show, none of which are great. No flash allowed and being up at the front getting bumped around = blurry

william elliot whitmore

slackers

Pogues

Thanks for the report and pix, Brian!

I have had similar impressions to you when I've sampled mandos there.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That was a really good report, thanks. Sounds like Mandolin Brothers is the place to go to put together my wish list.
    You'd better hope your CRAZY cause there's no cure for STUPID

Thanks for the Pogues pix as well. I've been a fan since college in the 80's. I'm glad and surprised that Shane is still living. I introduced their version of "Dirty old Town" to my local bluegrass jam, where it's become a favorite, despite the median age of nearly a hundred. Frank
    FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata