Thread: Transcribe or Transkriber

Which software do you like better? "Transcribe" or "Transkriber?"
    ‎"Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats." - Howard Aiken

I have only used Transkriber. I like it, but I think its biggest weakness is that on Windows, you need a seperate CD ripper to create the WAV tracks it uses. The ripper that comes packaged with it is really bad and also, ripping is an annoying extra step. If there were another program that worked directly off the mp3 tracks, that would be nice. According to the instructions, Transkriber does work directly when run on Macintosh. I have heard raves about "The Amazing Slow Downer," another program you should check out.

I personally like slow gold a similar program. I have used amazing slowdowner, transcribe(which I do like) and transkriber. slowdowner works real well but I still like slow gold the best. you might try downloading a trial version of each and see which one you like.

I bought the Mac version of Transkriber a while back. I thought it was pretty awful. Maybe the Windoze version is better. Often a software publisher will do a quick and dirty Mac version and save all their effort for the bigger Windoze market.

I love Amazing Slow Downer. I can hardly think of any way to improve it. That's the Mac version; I haven't tried the Windoze version but it's probably just as good. It's cheap too. A lot of people seem to get by with the free trial version, but I don't think it will "save", which I use a lot.

When I'm really working hard on a song (it's takes a lot of work, due to lack of talent), I save isolated sound files of just the chorus, just the verses, just one or more of the breaks, etc. I trim the clips just right so they can loop without interrupting the rhythm. Then I can sit figure out how to sing and play whatever parts I'm after, at whatever speed or in whatever key I need. It's great. Other programs probably enable this too, but I love ASD.

Dan

I have transkriber and really like it. I have a friend who has the Amazing Slow Downer and really likes that too.
    Garry G
    Concord, NH

I have Transcribe for the Mac. It works great. Works on mp3s or uncompressed files. It also has a tuning feature so if you have out-of-tune recordings, you can adjust them to standard tuning (Wakefield's Kitchen Tapes for example). It's got all the features I want or need and it's easy to use. I haven't used anything else so I can't compare it for you.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can't remember if it was here or on Co-Mando -- maybe the latter, come to think of it -- there was a discussion about this a few months back, and several people who had tried both weighed in with their opinions. Consensus was that Transcribe was the better package -- but maybe if you search the archives over at co-mando you'll hear this from the folks who know both packages.

August W
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America