Thread: old tater bug /mandolin

I just purchased a old timer mandolin, no known name inside, a tater bug as it is described to me . pretty good shape except for a few cracks in back. has inlaid tortoise shell just below oval sound hole. has nice case,, owner passed on a few weeks back, his wife contacted me through the music store where I have repair adds. the top is starting to cave in and causing the action to be too high. I have never repaired any this type of mandolin before, I would like some help from people on Mandolin cafe if possible. sort of afraid to fix it so nice and pretty, the back has alternated layers of mahogany and bone or what ever the white material is made of, hope to hear from others on this.. thanks Dennis In Yuma Arizona
    DENNIS RUSSELL

Can you post some photos? We may be able to help you in identifying the maker and come to some assessment of how it may compare to other old bowlbacks.

The main reason why tops cave in on bowlbacks is because people string them with bluegrass strings. These instruments are designed for much lighter strings and putting, say, a J74 set on them will kill the top and/or the neck joint in short order. You should only use ultralights.

If you're lucky, changing string gauge will prevent further movement, and you may be able to adjust the action by lowering the bridge. If a brace has come loose (check with a dental mirror), reglueing it may be straightforward. Otherwise, repairing a sunken top and/or resetting the neck is possible in principle, but for most bowlbacks fundamentally uneconomical. Bowlbacks being criminally underappreciated, there are only a few makers that command a high enough market price to make it worthwhile (other than for sentimental reasons) to carry out extensive repairs. Very decent bowlbacks in good condition can be had for around $300 or less.

Martin

Good morning Martin: I have a brand new digital camera that I got so I could take pictures to post of my doings and instruments. I am just learning to operate the camera, so it might be a while, I think the strings on this mandolin are "D"aderio because there is a empty package in the case, I will have to go look at the pack to see what gage.
    DEnnis
    DENNIS RUSSELL

Likely, as Martin says, it is and was overstrung in the past. Even D'Addario J-62s are too heavy for this and it was probably strung with heavier string sin the past.

Wait a minute... you say:
    Quote Originally Posted by
    the top is starting to cave in and causing the action to be too high.
    That might mean that the neck joint is sinking in. If it was just the bridge area then the action would be too low, I would think.

The back ribs are probably mahogany or rosewood and maple, I would think. Unless it was a seriously ornate instrument it would unlikely be bone.

Looking fwd to the pictures.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hi Dennis, I have been doing not much else over the lest year, other than repairing bowlbacks, and old German marquetry backed mandolins. If I can be of any help let me know. Also looking forward to the pictures.
    Regards, Dave
    No such thing as a dead mandolin!

www.mandolinluthier.com
    www.crumbles.info
    Facebook: search Dave Hynds ... its me with the mandolin!!

Is a set of Martin 80/20 Bronze M400-M's (.034-.024-.014-.010) too heavy for a well-built bowlback?
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

I would have said that they should be ok....... but it all depends on what you mean by a 'well-built bowlback' I have seen some that look well built, are still intact in all respects, but the neck is neverheless bowed, presumably from over-stringing. I use GHS classicals, (there's another thread on this somewhere) that are not so different at 09-32, and the lightest I've found. Dave
    No such thing as a dead mandolin!

www.mandolinluthier.com
    www.crumbles.info
    Facebook: search Dave Hynds ... its me with the mandolin!!