Thread: Transcribe or Amazing Slowdowner?

Topic is pretty self explanatory. I hear good things about both. I've fiddled with Transcribe and it seems great. I know Mike Stangeland is a huge fan. But you have to load the song onto your hard drive, not? So what are people's experiences, opinions, etc. in that I don't want to buy both. And I already have Cool Edit.

Thanks in advance.
    Dale

Yes, you have to have the song in your harddrive, for Transcribe. Apparently the Amazing Slowdowner works with CDs too, which would be a plus. Both programs have free evaluation versions, so you can find our for yourself which one you prefer. Price is roughly the same.

In my own humble opinion, Amazing Slowdowner is easier to use, has better user interface, while Transcribe! has additional functions that i like (ability to store comments in the file, note detection, etc).

I ended up buying Transcribe! I use it a lot and it doesn't irritate me.

Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:
    Wellsprings 2: Joyful!

On the advise of John McGann, who transcribes for Homespun tapes, and did all of Sam Bush's transcriptions, I got The Amazing Slowdowner. It is pretty simple to use, works on files or CD's and had much better slow audio than a previous slow down application I used. I have been very happy. You can download the demo and try it. It limits you to the first few songs, and a part of a song or something like that. Go to

http://www.ronimusic.com/

Best,

Jim D.
    nilodnam - darn that lesdyxia

I like them both, but I think Transcribe! has a little better sound, and the spectrum display can help sometimes in figuring out chords.

I have some software that slows down CD's, but in my mind it's not nearly as convenient as having the tunes on the hard drive. You only have to copy them once, and if I need to slow a tune down, I'm usually working on it for a while.

Both work with MP3, WAV, WMA, and Ogg-Vorbis files. They will also do MP4 and ACC if you have Quicktime installed. Amazing also does a format called FLAC, while Transcribe! does CDA and DSS formats.

They're real close. I'd be happy with either one, but Transcribe! has a slight edge.

I use Amazing Slow Downer, and yes, you can run it from the CD without downloading the song to your hard drive. Mac friendly as well:-)

Seth

The paid (but still cheap) version of Amazing Slow Downer rocks. It's helped me so much with nailing mando, tin whistle and tenor banjo tunes. A quality item.

I have Transcribe and it plays from CDs. I just pop it in, click on 'file' and then on 'open.' It pulls up the track numbers and I just select one. I love it.
    ‎"Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats." - Howard Aiken

I just got slow blast and while I've used the amazing slowdowner trial version I was afraid to order and hope the download worked with my dial up connection. The slowblast program has to play the song and then you choose what to slow down, hit a button and it records when U say so. The AMS can play the cd and slow down on the fly. I don't know whats better but since I have slowblast it works OK for me.

I did have some probles choosing the programs to start it up (audio) but once I got some tech help all is well and I'm a happy customer.

jm

I've tried 'em both and don't think you can really go too far wrong with either. Amazing Slowdowner has a user interface that I think is perhaps a little more intuitive than Transcribe and it gives you "twice the slow down power" (hows that for a marketing line?!Roni Music should hire me!) AMS can slow to 400% / Transcribe slows to 200%.

That said, Transcribe offers some nice preset filtering capabilities that makes it very easy to hone in on the particular intstrument that you're trying to hear.

I believe both offer "trial versions" and since you will ultimately be the best judge of what works best for you, you may want to consider downloading both and doing an A?B comparison.

... Hope this helps!
    Bluegrass ... "It's Folk Music With An Overbite" (Robert Shelton)

Quote Originally Posted by (Steve G @ Mar. 08 2006, 22:10)
    I have Transcribe and it plays from CDs. I just pop it in, click on 'file' and then on 'open.' It pulls up the track numbers and I just select one. I love it.
    So it does! Thanks for reminding me of this, i had forgotten.

So i stand on my previous opinion: basically same features, same price, Slowdowner is easier to use, Transcribe has a couple extra, advanced features that i like but most people may not need. Try both, pick one, they're both fine.

Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:
    Wellsprings 2: Joyful!

I really like Transcribe!

The quality of the slowed passage is excellent and the way it shows (for a one-second selection) the notes contained therein is great. Additionally, you can choose which channel, or minimize vocals, etc. Great stuff!