Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Griffin

Does anybody have any information about Dave Griffin builder out of Colorado and mandolins? Everything I've seen is A style with rosewood back and sides.

I would like some pictures if you have 'em. I tried to look up in builder section but no luck. Also, no webpage. Must be a real small builder. Where in CO is it?

That's just it I can't find anything on him. I just know it's a great sounding mandolin. Plays real good too. And was nicely set-up when I got it used. I noticed another one on the Cafe so I thought someone might know something I don't. The wierd thing is he uses rosewood for sides and back. But it keeps up with any other mando at jams. The harder you push it the better it sounds.

Well, there's a Zeke Griffin in the Builders section, but no Dave (also he's in Nevada not Colorado). Any connection there???

Greg Henkle

2002 Prucha F5
    1962 Martin D18
    1965 Fender Telecaster

Zeke builds alot of A's..He was at Loarfest and I know at least F5loar tooks some pics of his stuff
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

Dave Griffin had a few mandolins for sale a few years ago. I think he was trying to start a builder business. They looked pretty nice for the price. Colorado Pickin' Parlor, IIRC, sold some, so they might know how to contact him.

Zeke is not Dave. Zeke has spent a lot of time with Cliff Sargent and Michael Lewis, and builds a really nice mando. I think he built his first (a Gibson copy) back in the '70s but over the last year or two has cranked up his output. I've jammed some with Zeke, and he's a great picker as well as a generally fun guy to hang with.

Fiddles
    Arches F4 / Newson F5
    Crump B1 / Old Wave GOM

Thanks for the response I traded a MK Legacy O for it from the Cafe.(Many thanks JM) Even though the MK was nice, I believe I lucked out both times first I got one of the good MK's and second when I made the trade I feel in love with this A style mandolin. It has a great chop and as loud as any of the mandolins I put it up against at jams. It's also is a dream to play. Believe it or not it's even open up more since I've owned it. I play it at least 2 hours a day if not more. At a jam I had a guy wanting to trade a Gibson A2 for it call me nuts but I liked the Griffin way to much to trade. I was told the original owner chose it out of 3 and paid $1600. for it.

Mole, can you put up a picture of your Griffin? If not, what color is it? I'll put up one of mine with more details, but I'm waitin' on it to be shipped to me.

It's kinda like a honey burst. I'll try to post a picture
    Attached Files Attached Files

I don't know what I post but it don't open for me. I'm glad my mandolin case don't have to be opened up by computer If it did I don't think I'd ever see my mando again.

I bet yours looks a lot like this one. I owned it for awhile and you're right, it's got a very nice tone to it. A bit rough around the edges cosmetically but great on the ears. If it had a radiused fretboard and a thicker neck I'd probably still have it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new_improved_size.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	14401  
    Jay

YEP IT LOOKS JUST LIKE IT IF IT WAS #21 THEN IT'S THE SAME

Here's a photo of it in the daylight.

The rosewood back made for a warm, rich tone. I wish I could reach over and grab it for a few tunes. Glad it's being enjoyed though.

Name:	_cid_000301c63fc8_2508ca60_4B66C409_bozo.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	14405  
    Jay

Jay THAT SURE LOOKS THE SAME BET IT IS ONE-AND-THE-SAME IF I'M NOT BEING TO NOSEY DO HAVE ANY HISTORY ON THIS MANDOLIN.
    WHERE YOU GOT, SOLD IT TO, COST, ETC. I'M 3rd OWNER THAT I KNOW OF IN THE SHORT 2 YEARS SINCE IT HAS BEEN BORN-MOLE

mandopaul- ARE YOU GETTING A GRIFFIN? I SAW A DARK COLORED ONE ON THE CAFE AND I THINK HE PUT IT ON OUR FAV. AUCTION SITE. I E-MAILED THE GUY HE SAID HE HAD OVER $1000. IN IT. I THINK SIMM DALEY DID SOME WORK ON IT ALSO.

Mole-yeah, i'm getting that Griffin with darker top color. It is a 2003, but has a completely different serial # than yours. Yours is #21 and a 2004? I think mine is 403 or somthing like that. The f holes on yours are different too. I will show a picture of it next week when it comes.

MANDOPAUL-COOL I HOPE YOU LIKE YOURS AS MUCH AS I LIKE MINE.YOU HAVE TO TELL ME HOW IT PLAYS AND SOUNDS WHEN IT ARRIVES. MY SER. # IS: 020421 THEY HAVE THE SAME TAILPIECE THE HEADSTOCK IS JUST A LITTLE DIFFERENT, SO IS THE END OF THE FRETBOARD. FROM THE PICTURES I DID SEE I REALLY LIKE THE BACK OF THE NECK OF YOURS. I THINK YOUR TOP WAS CARVED OUT OF ENGLEMAN SPRUCE. MY BACK PLATE LOOKS JUST LIKE YOURS. IF IT WASN'T FOR THE NECK YOU CAN'T TELL THEM APART SAME GRAIN IN SAME PLACE. WONDER IF IT WAS THE SAME BOARD?

stop shouting
    FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata

sorry i just wanted you to hear me over my mandolin

Here are some images...as you can see the f holes are different than above picture. #Sounds great. Thick neck, but feels good. Has a dry punchy sound to it, never heard rosewood back before. Back is carved more to a ridge in the middle, sort of like an older Gibson A.

and the side:

I like it! Our backs is carved the same. I think your sides has more grain. I even like the dark top. The pictures Recklessmando posted is my mando. It isn't a Loar but I couldn't be happier. I put a solid bridge on it and it sounded better with the Steve Smith so I'll be putting it back on. Later-Mole

What is the name of your case that this mando fits in? I'm looking because a few didn't fit (lid wouldn't close)

Also, if you look at the f holes, these pictures have different ones. Are you sure this is the same builder, because my serial # has 4 numbers, and yours has 02 in front?? Just wondering..

I have TKL case shape like the old A Gibson. My mando has a white oval label inside that reads Hand Built by Dave Griffin Ser. #____ It also fits real nice in a Rectangle F case I have from a Alverez A800 F style. I've yet to try it in the tweed case.
    Mole

Here's the back of #21. #Looks a lot like Pauls. #I'm pretty sure they're both from Dave.

FYI I bought #21 new from Dave in Feb. of '04 I think and traded it last fall to a gentleman in TN for an OM. #I always like the tone but my personal preferences evolved and I found the very thin neck more difficult to play than a thicker neck. #I also like radiused fretboards and that one was flat. #Love the warm, punchy tone of the redwood though. #I've played a good half dozen of Dave's mandos and while the quality varies quite a bit the good ones certainly aren't bad. #

By the way, the tailpieces are from Keith Newell in OR. #I put mine on shortly after I bought it and it's just a coincidence that Paul's has the same tailpiece.

Have fun with 'em guys.

Name:	31_mmicro.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	14465  
    Jay