Thread: "F" Holes vs. Oval Holes

I know that traditionally, folks who play bluegrass prefer the "F" holes to the oval hole mandolins. Two questions:

1.) How many of you all who play bluegrass play an "F" hole and how many play an oval hole (little survey here).

2.) For those who play the "F" hole.....is it primarily for the tone/sound, or are looks and tradition important to you as well?

Big Juan,

I don't play much grass (only a few tunes in an acoustic duo), so I am no expert here. But I mainly play an oval hole. I do use my F hole for the BG tunes, just because it sounds more appropriate. I guess it's the sound I associate with BG. I don't think you'll geet many responses that say they play that style for looks alone...but I might be wrong...
    PeacE
    Brian

I think maybe folks read the title and think it's another beginner thread, but it's a fair question, maybe more grassers use ovals than we think: #

1. I use an F hole mandolin almost exclusivley for bluegrass. #I have an oval hole and I pull it out for a few rags and songs that have more of an old time or old country feel, but not for hard driving bluegrass.

2. For me it is all about the sound. #Looks and tradition are nice, but I got rid of 2 F5 mandolins so that I could own two far better sounding A5 mandolins. #The bluegrass police have yet to catch up with me.

Chip

When I bought my first oval back in the 70s, it was apparently used by a bluegrasser before he upgraded. A 1921 F4,slightly modified (had a screw-on F5 style pickguard). Seems to me that there were a fair amount of oval-hole instruments in use for BG; after all, there just aren't that many Loars to go around, and the F5s made in the later periods were not that highly regarded.

I have f and would never consider the oval. 100% looks only for me.
    Join me Thursdays from 10am - 12pm eastern as I host "The Bluegrass Beat" at www.worldwidebluegrass.com.

Blog Entries

Andy Statman plays bluegrass with an oval holed instrument--can't complain about his sound at all!
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence