Thread: old #Stella Mandolin

I repaired a old viloin and traded it for a old Stella mandolin,, the mandolin #is a "A" type has good sound with new strings but hard to tune up tuners are old, I am afraid to use some sort of pliers to turn the keys , it might shatter the pegs, I want to keep it origial but will replace the tuners if neccesary, any recomendations for replacement or lubing the old tuners.. Thanks #Dennis In Arizona
    DENNIS RUSSELL

These are pretty much players, no real collector value. I would just install a new set of tuners.

I had an old beater with the same problem. A little oil in the gears did the trick.

I had a Monterray A style that is probably of the same genre as your mando. It was a feebee mando headed for the trash. Same deal, the keys would not turn well even after oiling. Cheapo Stewmac tuners did the trick. I found that the new tuners needed a larger hole, because of the ferrules, and the hole spacing was different. Simple, plug with a hardwood dowel and then redrill. The flange on the ferrule and the back of the tuner covered up the spare dowel. If you order new tuners, be sure to very carefully check the OD on the ferrules. They are often a metric size that does not match with fractional inch drill sizes. You want that ferrule to have a snug fit. You can pick up metric bits one at a time at a decent tool store.