Thread: Flatiron Performer F

I have recently made a purchase of a 1996 Flatiron Performer F. It is scheduled to be delivered on Friday (February 10). This is very exciting, I saved for a long time to be able and make this purchase. I will have three days to decide whether or not to keep this mandolin. Are there any other pickers out there playing Performer F? I would like to hear all opinions and any information anyone has on these instruments. Thank you.
    Gibson F9

Learn about my mandolin experiences at http://mandomadness.wordpress.com/. All comments, suggestions and advice welcomed.

I got one and love it. Note is does have the "integrated" fingerboard rather than elevated but do not let that change your opinion. It's got a solid thump to it you will like.

tasc99,

Congrats on your mando! ! !

I have one --it was my first mando. I really like it. I have had it since '92.

~x

I had a 2000 model and it was fantastic. I doubt you'll be disappointed!

How does it compare to a Festival F or Gibson F of the same vintage? What should I be looking for when it arrives? Thanks again.
    Gibson F9

Learn about my mandolin experiences at http://mandomadness.wordpress.com/. All comments, suggestions and advice welcomed.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by (tasc99 @ Feb. 08 2006, 16:14)
    What should I be looking for when it arrives?
    A pick

you will enjoy this mandolin!
    Gibson A9
    Eastman 804D two point, blonde

Nothing is fool proof for a talented fool

the performer and the festival of this vinage were the same mandolin and had an intergrated finger board. I don't recall whitch one had fancier apointments. the gibson had an elevated finger board. JJ's 2000 is a nashville made so it has an elevated finger board. but they are all great mandolins!
    "Mandolins are an Illness" Conrad Deislar

tasc99,
    I have a '96 Festival (Montana). It's my understanding that the only difference in the Festival and Performer is the binding you will see on the headstock and back/sides of yours that mine does not have. I am very pleased with it. I also have an '01 Festival (Nashville). I just recently acquired the '96 b/c I wanted to see for myself what all the talk was about the Montana vs Nashville Flatirons. Some people I'm sure will disagree, but I can tell very little difference, if any, between the two. These are the only two I've heard also. I love them both. The '96 may have a little more bottom end than the other, and the '01 may have a slightly better E string. I do want to mention that I have had the '01 for about a year and a half and it has been played very consistently 2-3 hours per day. I have only had the '96 about 3 months and can't say it has had the same amount of play time. I will say that I can't tell much difference from day 1 until now, so it may have been played regularly also. I hope you are happy w/ your purchase and I have no reason to think you won't be happy w/ it. Congratulations on your saving! I know the excitment you are feeling as does probably about everyone reading this. Tomorrow will be here soon enough. I also want to mention that I took both of mine to my teacher (well respected and plays in several bands in the area) for him to help me try to make a decision on which of these to keep. He offered to buy the one I sell and doesn't care which one it is. Sorry to go on and on so I'll stop now. Bottom line, I think you have made a good decision and again, Congratulations! Let us know how you like it.

I have a 96 Festival F that was my main instrument for the past 9 years. I recently thought of selling it and let a good friend borrow it for a few weeks. He fell in love and I got cold feet and now it is back where it belongs!
    Mine is a fine mandolin, not as loud as most, but it has a hooty sound that not too many have. It is in semi retirement for the moment, but not going anywhere.
    Good luck!
    willi

I used to have a 1995 or 1996 (I forget which) Performer F. Good mandolin; don't see too many of 'em around. I took some pictures before I sold it - take a look.

john

After a long week, on Friday morning at 10:32 the UPS truck finally pulled into our parking lot at work. The wait was over. I anxiously pulled the case out of the shipping box and set it on my desk. I opened the case and was amazed at how nice the mandolin looked. I don't believe it has been played much at all. I few smudges on the back are the only sign of wear I could find. At lunch, I took it to a local music store. The owner gave it a quick once over and proclaimed it to be excellent condition. I purchased some new strings and that night at home, I placed a new set of J-74s on the mandolin. The sound is very bright and rich. I can actually feel the whole instrument vibrate in my hands as I play her.

On Sunday, I took it to see my mandolin instructor. He was very impressed and said it was definitely a keeper. And the good part is, because it hasn't been played much, it will sound better as it opens up with regular playing. So here it is Monday morning, my fingers are sore, but my soul is singing. I can't wait to bring my new Flatiron to weekly jam on Thursday. Maybe the other pickers will be able to hear me now!

Thanks to all who responded to this thread. Pick on!
    Gibson F9

"...but my soul is singing.." - Happy times to ya'...,and enjoy your new mandolin! - Thanks for sharing.. Moose.

It is not every day that one receives a Flatiron mandolin! I hope that you receive the enjoyment from yours that I have from mine. I am blessed to own two of them and they are far better instruments than I am a picker, but are a real pleasure to play.

tasc99,

I am in the process of beginning a savings for a better mandolin. I'm excited about it, but it will take some time. There are so many choices! Good luck. Let us know how you like it (w/pics of course)
    Alan