Page 70 of 120 FirstFirst ... 204566676869707172737495 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,750 of 2989

Thread: Women with Mandolins

Default Re: Women with Mandolins

Quote Originally Posted by Plamen Ivanov View Post
    Nice Embergher in the hands of Sue Flower! What do you know about her as a player? Obviously a classical mandolinist...
    More info here. She is associated with the Melbourne Mandolin Orchestra.

St John's Church, Southgate - Saturday 16th of August 2008 "Baroque & Classical Mandolin"

This fantastic concert featured two of Australia's finest mandolin virtuosi:

Sue Flower and Marissa Carroll who performed in Antonio Vivaldi's G Maj Concerto for Two Mandolins, Hummel's Concerto in G Maj for Mandolin and Elke Tober-Vogt's Concerto for Mandolin from Frederick the Great.

Michelle Nelson (Classical Guitar) also featured as a soloist playing in a trio with both Sue and Marissa.

Music performed included: I Puritani by Bellini and Suite No 2 for Mandolin Orchesta by Wolki
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Ha! Oh no, sir, there's a strap.
    I figured that was a reference to the 4th photo where the mando is on a bracket on the mic stand. It does kind of look like it is levitating out there in front.

Yes, I was refering to the one suspended on the bracket,,,,,but I must admit that the levitating mandolinist is rather amazing. Can she jump that high from the ground or is she jumping off something? Gee I need to get a life....

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Oh, I see what you're talking about. That's an instrument hanger attached to the mike stand. You see in the first photo where the mandolinist wearing yellow has her arms spread out and the mandolin is kind of floating there (that's what I though you meant) it is held by a strap, while a guitar is hanging from the mike stand. That same setup is being used in the fourth photo with the instruments reversed.

And Pat - the levitating mandolinist I mentioned is on the right, in red, but the leaping lady with extraordinary altitude is playing guitar ... but the height she gets is indeed noteworthy - and she's barefoot, too. I think they're just young, full of energy, and light. But not lightweight, not by a long shot!

It sure is hard to keep up with them, they swap around their instruments so much. I think I've got it sussed out, though, for the posed photo, #6, left to right:

Turid Jørgensen - bass, mandolin
    Solveig Heilo - drums, bass, trumpet
    Marianne Sveen - guitar, accordion
    Anne Marit Bergheim - mandolin, guitar

It's really dizzying trying to figure out who plays what when, but the first instruments mentioned seem to be their main instruments. That's the instrumentation in the Sundown Festival 2009 photo (the levitation one). Beyond that, who knows?
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Sophia Hogman (I believe) of Abalone Dots from Sweden. At NW String Summit last weekend outside Portland:

[QUOTE=jefflester;691980]Sophia Hogman (I believe) of Abalone Dots from Sweden. At NW String Summit last weekend outside Portland:

Here is another one of Sophia and her MK.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SophiaHogman.jpg 
Views:	416 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	44652  

The lovely and talented Carrie Rodriguez with her Mandobird

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiWzSdD4Zi0

Apologies if this has been posted before!

Blog Entries

Um, actually that's Gretchen Peters. Here's Carrie Rodriguez, with her MandoBird ...

What I like about this second video is the nice ringing tone she gets with the single string MandoBird. Also, for those who say a mandolin can't provide good rhythm backup for guitar, pay attention to this! BTW, the name of this song is "Seven Angels On A Bicycle."
    Last edited by journeybear; Aug-01-2009 at 12:27pm. Reason: found another video

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

seen Carrie a few weeks back...it was a good show!
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

had no luck with the videos (arrived all chopped up) but found her myspace site:

http://www.myspace.com/carrielrodriguez

... "50's french movie" is a gas - makes me want to get a pair of wrap around sunglasses and a mandobird.

Blog Entries

This lovely 3" x 4" photo can be yours, available now on ebay. She is not playing a Gibson - acccording to the description, "penciled on back is a note 'Merry Christmas To Mr + Mrs W.L. Gibson'." That's how this turned up via my search parameters.

Name:	VINTAGE CABINET PHOTO WOMAN PLAYING MANDOLIN WL GIBSON.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	44711  

Heres Gloria Belle. Nice story on Gloria in the current issue of Bluegrass Unlimited by Murphy Henry:

Name:	Gloria Belle.JPG 
Views:	318 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	44716  
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Blog Entries

Analise Gold of Gold Heart, based in Virginia. Sisters Jocelyn on guitar and Shelby on fiddle plus their father Trent on bass, and Russ Carson on banjo, round out the band. They're pretty new on the scene but starting to make a big splash. The group shot is from two years ago, included mostly to show her luxurious long hair, usually up. Good form on the chop chord in pic #1!

Name:	Analise Gole 03.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	303.6 KB 
ID:	44821   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gold Heart 01.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	44822   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Analise Gole 02.jpg 
Views:	433 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	44823  

Blog Entries

Well, I've got good news and bad news. The good news is, Milla Jovovich married Paul W. S. Anderson yesterday. The bad news is, none of us ever stood a chance with her anyway! Mr. Anderson has directed a bunch of action movies - Alien vs Predator, Mortal Kombat, the Resident Evil series among them. They've been together over six years and have a 21-month-old daughter, Ever Gabo Anderson.

Congratulations and best wishes!

Name:	milla_mandolin3.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	45279   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MillaJovovichMandolin1.jpg 
Views:	392 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	45280  

Someone gave me a copy of 'The Fifth Element' on VHS of my own, to watch ..\
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119116/

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

I might just go on and pick up her album. Gets some pretty good reviews at amazon, and there are some for less than $1 ...

Congratulations to Milla and wishing her much happiness in her marriage. Here are a couple of pictures that I don't think have appeared in this thread before. There is definitely a mandolin in the first and I'm pretty sure that is one behind her in the second.

Name:	millatree.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	45296   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	millaback.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	45297  

I emailed Milla and asked her to sign onto the 'cafe. Who knows.

Blog Entries

Oh no, you didn't! I imagine she might find some of what's been said about her a little disconcerting, however well-intentioned. Well, hopefully she has a sense of humor about such matters.

Once again, Mr. Fret, your persistence has paid off and you have found images hitherto unknown hereabouts. It was all I could do to find one; you have found two! Now, if only someone could find photos of Milla actually playing mandolin, rather than just posing. I remain skeptical that she plays, and await delivery of "The Divine Comedy" to see what I may learn from the liner notes. I've seen musician credits on the interweb (she's not in them) but nothing beats holding the actual artifact.
    Last edited by journeybear; Aug-25-2009 at 1:52am.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    ...I imagine she might find some of what's been said about her a little disconcerting, however well-intentioned. Well, hopefully she has a sense of humor about such matters. ...
    That's why I've said before, and say again, especially in this thread, post as if the person you're writing about is reading (ideally over your shoulder) what you're writing.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    That's why I've said before, and say again, especially in this thread, post as if the person you're writing about is reading (ideally over your shoulder) what you're writing.

Jamie
    And remember that the cafe is not solely a men's forum. It personally bugs me when semi or overt sexist comments are included in posts.

Barb
    BRW SP-H3 2 point
    BRW LP-H3 2 point
    Weber Bighorn oval hole
    Weber Bighorn Mandola
    Weber Octar D-hole
    -------------------
    "The creative is the place no one else has ever been... What you will discover will be wonderful; it will be yourself." Alan Alda

Blog Entries

Exactly. This has been brought up before but it's worth remembering, especially in this thread, where we walk a fine line sometimes. Even people who work in the public eye in fields such as cinema and modeling deserve respect and consideration, and by and large they are treated that way here. I had just taken a look through earlier posts to guard against duplicating photos and reread some old posts. We've come a long way since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Barb Friedland View Post
    And remember that the cafe is not solely a men's forum. It personally bugs me when semi or overt sexist comments are included in posts.

Barb
    I wholeheartedly agree and keep in mind that younger mandolin players come to this site so we mando-elders need to set a good example for them. Otherwise, we might be perceived as no better than b@njo players!

I think, in spite of a few posts that pushed things a bit, it's a relatively well-behaved bunch in here (please don't prove me wrong).

I'm sure Miss Jovavich is used to being told she's pretty, after all, it's part of her livelihood. By the way, if she is reading this, Milla, the 5th Element is one of my favorite movies ever, mostly because of you and Mr. Oldman. Great job, now do you really play mandolin?
    If I call my guitar my "axe," does that mean my mandolin is my hatchet?

Breedlove Quartz KF
    Kit Built Oval Hole
    Martin 000M
    Highland Harp

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/mattdeblass2

Feed My Ego, Visit My Youtube Page

Quote Originally Posted by man dough nollij View Post
    I'm pretty sure the mandolin player is Amanda Barrett. If she ever gets sick of music, she could be a supermodel. Stunning.
    I believe she was a model at one point.