Page 52 of 120 FirstFirst ... 22748495051525354555677102 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 2989

Thread: Women with Mandolins

Default Re: Women with Mandolins

Yet another player from Down Under, Mollie McClymont of the McClymonts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MollieMcClymont.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	38190   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MollieMcClymont2.jpg 
Views:	479 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	38191   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MolllieMcClymont.jpg 
Views:	494 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	38192  

Mollie appears to have both a Fender FM62SCE and a Fender F-style. I don't think any of the Fender F-styles come with an onboard pickup, so something must have been added.

I checked out the videos on the McClymonts' Web site, and Mollie strums along dutifully (when she ain't playing cowbell), but I'm danged if I can hear mandolin in the mix at all. Nice harmony singing, though.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Here is another one of Caterina Lichtenberg along with two students of the mandolin. (Ekatarina Solovey and Jeanette Haase?)

Name:	Caterina Lichtenberg.jpg 
Views:	528 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	38256  

Caterina with her Seiffert. I'm curious about the maker of the other two bowlbacks.

Speaking of bowl backs, I wonder what kind Marion Ceruti is holding in this picture?

I like those friction tuning pegs, but it is pretty hard to see how many strings are on this mandolin.

Name:	MarionCeruti.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	38306  

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Django Fret View Post
    I like those friction tuning pegs, but it is pretty hard to see how many strings are on this mandolin.
    Looks like six tuning pegs! Very odd indeed. Could you get her to turn it around? Thanks!

Here's a little something about Marion from the lutist's (Donatella Galletti) website:

"She now specializes in strumenti di plettro, such as guitar, mandolino napoletano, mandolino lombardo, mandola, requinto, domra, renaissance lute, as well as voice."

http://web.tiscalinet.it/awebd/dame.htm

Does that help?
    Last edited by journeybear; Jan-23-2009 at 11:07pm. Reason: Additional information
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Here are some of Texan singer-songwriter Terri Hendrix.

Name:	TerriHendrix.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	38337   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TerriHendrix1.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	38338   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TerriHendrix2.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	38339  

Blog Entries

Here are some of Texan singer-songwriter Terri Hendrix.
    Thanks for reminding me about Terri Hendrix! Back in a previous life as a music journalist I found out about her, liked her CDs, one of which made my annual "Best Of" list, even met her - really nice and down-to-earth, funny too. I didn't know she played mandolin, though, just guitar. I also discovered (for myself) another Texan singer-songwriter, Sara Hickman, who has the warmest singing voice I've ever heard, possibly of all time. Versatile too - the "do a dollop" Daisy sour cream commercial? That's her. But I digress ...

In case y'all don't know, Terri is married to Lloyd Maines, fine singer/songwriter as well as all-around good guy, whose daughter you may have heard of, Natalie Maines of Dixie Chicks. They've been mentioned a time or two here, as Sharon Gilchrist played with them early in both careers. Here's a nice picture of Sharon, and also one with a custom built octave mandolin. I swear, that looks like a double-string tenor guitar to me. And I wonder - doesn't Martie of the DCs play mandolin as well as fiddle? Aren't there any pictures? But I digress ...

Terri's solid-body is pretty down-home looking, too - and has only volume control. I found a pic of her playing something a bit more "normal." And that's Lloyd on the left. In the process I also found another Texan singer-songwriter, Katherine Dawn, also from Terri's San Marcos stomping grounds, chiefly guitarist but here she is with an Ovation.

Name:	TerriHendrix4.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	38343   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SharonGilchristBW.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	38344   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SharonGilchristOctave.jpg 
Views:	834 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	38347  

Attached Images Attached Images  

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Speaking of bowl backs, I wonder what kind Marion Ceruti is holding in this picture?

Looks strange indeed. Six horizontal pegs would suit a Milanese mandolin, but the neck looks narrow and the bowl modern and Neapolitan-style. Beats me, but there are far more knowledgeable people here than me. I second the wish to ask her to turn it round, to show the face...

Blog Entries

I found the website the picture was from, that of the lutist (Donatella Galletti), and the only picture it had of Marion Ceruti showed her holding some sheet music next to the lutist showing ITS front. The site mentioned the other instruments she plays, but I am unfamiliar with some of them: requinto, domra. Not really sure what a mandolino lombardo is either, or how it's different from a mandolino neapolitano, which I assume is the standard bowlback.

Blog Entries

I dug a little deeper, and found the following:

Dixie Chicks with Martie Maguire on the right with a mandolin,

and, a FEW years earlier, Martie on the right with a fiddle and Sharon Gilchrist on the left with a mandolin, Sharon's brother Troy in the middle. This is Blue Night Express, which also included Martie's sister Emily, not pictured. I did not know they went that far back. This has been and continues to be a learning experience.

Name:	DixieChicks.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	38353   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlueNightExpress.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	38354  

Blog Entries

... and this. You'd think there would be more pics of Martie playing mandolin, even though she plays it on just a couple of tunes. There's a reason for that, though: typically, photographers covering a show are allowed to shoot only the first three songs, and if none of those features her on mandolin, that's what you get.

And here's Dolly Parton, playing nearly everything BUT mandolin! She also plays guitar, writes songs, and sings like a country angel. What's keeping her from adding mandolin to her repertoire?

Name:	MartieMaguire2.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	38364   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DOLLY- EverythingBut.gif 
Views:	553 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	38365  

South Florida's Amber Leigh of the Amber Leigh Band with her Ovation.

Name:	AmberLeigh.gif 
Views:	369 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	38366   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AmberLeigh1.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	38367   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AmberLeigh2.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	38368  

[QUOTE=journeybear;621132]... and this. You'd think there would be more pics of Martie playing mandolin, even though she plays it on just a couple of tunes.

JB, there is on back on page 3, post #61 with Martie playing an electric, but it would be nice to see more of them.

Registered User Chris Willingham's Avatar

Wow. The guitar player in my band was the bass player for emily/martie in their high school/middle school band. They toured quite a bit at the time, he's told me. I've seen a lot of pictures. Pretty funny. His name is Scott Dickey. He went to an Irving, Texas high school with martie and emily.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MandoFan-do View Post
    Wow. The guitar player in my band was the bass player for emily/martie in their high school/middle school band. They toured quite a bit at the time, he's told me. I've seen a lot of pictures. Pretty funny. His name is Scott Dickey. He went to an Irving, Texas high school with martie and emily.
    How cool is that? (Answer: Very!) Now, you say you've seen lots of pictures, and I'm inclined to believe you, but what I read on the web was that there aren't any pictures of the full lineup of Blue Night Express. Eh, what do they know? Misinformation/disinformation/unsubstantiation on the interweb? You must be kidding! In fact, the one I posted also showed up at a Sharon Gilchrist fan's site with Martie cropped out! Anyway, it doesn't make sense that there would be none of all four, there are considerations like promo pictures, fan photos, friends' photos. I guess what I'm getting at is, if you can turn up any of those, please post 'em! Thanks!

JB, there is on back on page 3, post #61 with Martie playing an electric, but it would be nice to see more of them.
    Believe it or not, my search turned that one up, at emando.com! It was nice to see google works. Martin has another one there too, but somehow it doesn't feel right posting pics from there, too close to home or something. Since the one you mentioned was already posted here, I kept looking ... and looking ... and then I decided to spend a little time practicing instead!

Two more mandobabes from the past:

If you take a closer look at the mandolin of the second mandobabe, you will notice, that the strings are reversed. It might have been "a lefty" or it is just because of the old picture making/developing process.

Name:	mandolin53.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	38379   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolin54.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	38380  

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Terri's solid-body is pretty down-home looking, too - and has only volume control. I found a pic of her playing something a bit more "normal."
    That's no solidbody, that's a Tacoma that has apparently had the volume post added through the top.

Registered User Chris Willingham's Avatar

How cool is that? (Answer: Very!) Now, you say you've seen lots of pictures, and I'm inclined to believe you, but what I read on the web was that there aren't any pictures of the full lineup of Blue Night Express. Eh, what do they know? Misinformation/disinformation/unsubstantiation on the interweb? You must be kidding! In fact, the one I posted also showed up at a Sharon Gilchrist fan's site with Martie cropped out! Anyway, it doesn't make sense that there would be none of all four, there are considerations like promo pictures, fan photos, friends' photos. I guess what I'm getting at is, if you can turn up any of those, please post 'em! Thanks!

Believe it or not, my search turned that one up, at emando.com! It was nice to see google works. Martin has another one there too, but somehow it doesn't feel right posting pics from there, too close to home or something. Since the one you mentioned was already posted here, I kept looking ... and looking ... and then I decided to spend a little time practicing instead!
    Will do. We practice wednesday night. I'll ask him to bring some pics. I forget which was which, but he's commented several times that one sister was very nice and tom-boyish, while the other was a bit b**chy. He'll pull out one of their "cowgirl songs" when we're jamming with other folks every now and then. I give him a hard time on stage because he tends to name drop about it sometimes, but if I was their former bass player I'd be doing the same thing!

Believe it or not, my search turned that one up, at emando.com! It was nice to see google works. Martin has another one there too, but somehow it doesn't feel right posting pics from there, too close to home or something.
    Well, most pics from Emando.com that are relevant to this thread have already been posted here at one time or another. The vast majority of pics there are borrowed; only a handful were actually taken by me. And I've mined this thread and others for pics ...

P.S. There were electric versions of the 3 Tacoma mandolin models: the M1E, M2E, and M3E all had onboard piezos. But none of them had volume pots, so it does appear that Terri's instrument has been customized.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

And here's Dolly Parton, playing nearly everything BUT mandolin! She also plays guitar, writes songs, and sings like a country angel. What's keeping her from adding mandolin to her repertoire?
    Her fingernails.

Watch closely how she plays guitar with those weapons. Looks like she tunes to an open chord and plays straight-across barre chords. Kinda like Richie Havens uses his thumb.(?)

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cameron View Post
    Her fingernails.

Watch closely how she plays guitar with those weapons. Looks like she tunes to an open chord and plays straight-across barre chords. Kinda like Richie Havens uses his thumb.(?)
    Good point. It's easier to play Nine Inch Nails on mandolin than it is to play mandolin with nine inch nails. DAMHIKT.

Norwegian artist Marit Larsen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cameron View Post
    Her fingernails.

Yeah, I've wondered how she manages to do anything requiring dexterity with her nails. I always thought she used a shallow angle approach. Did she do her own typing in "9 To 5" or did she have a stand-in or hand double? I'll have to take a closer look if she ever shows up on the tube again - these appearances have been getting rather infrequent. I suppose I could try looking through the video archives ... ... ... ...

Perhaps she could develop an open tuning for the mandolin. She is awfully clever and inventive. Another thing to consider (and this is what I tell people when they ask me how do I get my fingers in between those tiny frets): it doesn't matter where your fingers are below the frets, as long as they don't go OVER them!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Well, most pics from Emando.com that are relevant to this thread have already been posted here at one time or another. The vast majority of pics there are borrowed; only a handful were actually taken by me. And I've mined this thread and others for pics ...
    Hmm, yes, cannibalism - a game the whole family can play Mostly, it just seemed too easy to go to emando.com, rich treasure trove that it is. (There is a second photo of Martie there, which I don't think has made it to here, but I let it be). Besides, 9 times out of 10 I find something on the web while I'm looking for whatever I'm researching. Life IS what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

I just thought it was cool that my search parameters found that picture at emando.com, that google works as it should. And it's not borrowing, it's sharing, enriching the world with information, yeah, that's it ...