Thread: Tuning 440 Hz?  442?

The guys in my group and I got on this subject when we first got some of the Seiko STX1 clip-on tuners, see this thread on the equipment board- LINK This tuner has a series of red lights at 439, 440, 441, 442, etc. The odd thing is that the green light comes on at 441, the lights next to the other numbers are red, indicating that 441 is "standard", at least to the people at Seiko. We disregard the green light and tune to 440 like we're used to. I am not an expert on this subject by any means, and I read a post from another forum HERE that says wind instruments are made for A-442 and for A-445. Could this be the reason why the green light is on 441 and not 440, some kind of compromise? If anyone is willing to shed some light on this topic in general, I'd love to learn more.
    My original IV mandolin kit blog- http://makingamandolin.blogspot.com/

As far as I know, International standard A has been 440 Hz since the 1930's.

All the common wind instruments I have ever seen can be tuned by adjusting a slide or the mouthpiece, so the idea of tehm being made to a different standard makes no sense.

The main reason for being able to alter the standard pitch is for playing with pianos, which often vary in their tuning.

I don't think ya can compromise in this dept...either your in tune or out. I have tuned with my tuner mistakenly on a different freq and recognized it immediately. I could be wrong
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

We were wrong about that tuner anyway, see the linked post again.
    My original IV mandolin kit blog- http://makingamandolin.blogspot.com/

Actually, tuning has been going up I think. Some orchestras tune to 442 because they want a brighter sound. There hasn't always been standard tuning either. I'm not sure how perfect pitch works in with that. Maybe it's part nurture. I mean do folks with perfect pitch in eastern societies where there's quarter tones and such have problems listening?
    I have a friend with perfect pitch who likes inventing new tuning systems on his computer. He's still looking for the perfect mathmatical tuning system. It doesn't seem to bother him either, but he's trained himself to listen for that stuff.
    -Katie

According to Roger Siminoff's article "What Did Loar Hear?" Loar mandos were tap tuned to more like A431 so how would anybody know what a Loar is REALLY supposed to sound like unless they tune their instruments to A 431?

"I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

I'd lose my "temper".

I just ordered one of these tuners after reading all the reviews. I hope it's an improvement over my Intellitouch.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

How do you teach your [microphoneless] Intellitouch, in the 'learn' mode, the deviation from concert to match the Piano ? [I went to the all else fails, hollaring out 'gimme an "F" , er make than an A, or several and take an average.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

My intellitouch never learned nothin' Still its handy at a gig when I can't hear my mandolin on the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by (mandroid @ Jan. 23 2006, 22:00)
    How do you teach your [microphoneless] Intellitouch, in the 'learn' mode, the deviation from concert to match the Piano ? [I went to the all else fails, hollaring out 'gimme an "F" , er make than an A, or several and take an average.
    Blueglass, LOL!

Mandroid, i think you put it in learn mode first, then attach it to the piano and play whatever note there. Then use the buttons in the Intellitouch to set the note.

Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:
    Wellsprings 2: Joyful!

Ever since I started bringing my Concert Grand piano along to the jams we've had no problems. I just hate putting it back in the case...
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

Yeah, buddy!! - I'm gonna' take a piano(!?#) - (in the back of a pick-up, of course!) to my next Bluegrass "jam" - out in the big field - under the big shade tree!! - I'll let you(all) know the results - if I survive..... hee.. hee..- Moose.

Hey, that grand piano ain't always the best for tuning, either. Playing at church one weekend, I kept feeling like I and others were "off" somehow. I voiced this to our great guitar player and he said the piano's outta tune. So, we all tuned up to the piano. funny thing: they had just gotten the piano tuned
    David Mehaffey
    -------------------------------
    ...I wonder how the old folks are at home...