Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Post a Picture of Your Bowlback (or any others)

Default Re: Post a Picture of Your Bowlback (or any others)

Quote Originally Posted by riffhard View Post
    I bought this nameless italian Mando for a few bucks.
    It needs a little restauration. For now it is only deco. The tuners don't turn anymore.
    I think i buy this ones.
    Before you buy those new tuners you might try a little bit of oil on the ones that are on the mandolin. Also, those tuners might be fine but the spacing of the posts may not be exactly the same as your old mandolin. If you can buy the new tuners in a store with the mandolin there that would be better.

From the fragment of the label and the type of tailpiece I would guess that your mandolin was made in Germany, not Italy.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Bill: you could have saved me some searching by just posting the eBay item#. The eBay listing is here. Your seller is in Finland but it looks to me that the mandolin was made, or at least patented in Germany I think that is what Gesch. means something like manufacturer -- I really do not know German. We need Martin here.

Here are the pics. It says Superton Sing not Supertone. No relation at all to the Sears line. Also, i would guess that this dates much later than the US Supertones, maybe 1950s or even later. It does look interesting with that vertical soundhole -- I like that and a very deep bowl. Let us know how it is when it arrives.
    thank you jim - you're a marvel, with your internet know-how. of course i'll post pictures and sound sample when it arrives but ... i really must learn to pay more attention to detail. thanks again!

Before you buy those new tuners you might try a little bit of oil on the ones that are on the mandolin. Also, those tuners might be fine but the spacing of the posts may not be exactly the same as your old mandolin. If you can buy the new tuners in a store with the mandolin there that would be better.

From the fragment of the label and the type of tailpiece I would guess that your mandolin was made in Germany, not Italy.
    Thanks Jim. The Label says "Musikhaus Kratochwil, 1020 Wien Taborstraße". This shop does not exist anymore. And I could not find any info about it on the web. I think this is only the label of the seller, don't think that they built it.
    I live in Vienna. Mandolines are rather exotic instruments here. So i'm afraid i have to order the new tuners. Could not find anything at the Website of Klangfarbe, which is the biggest musicstore in Vienna. If they dont fit i will return them.
    The pic's are a few weeks old, i already tried it with oil, forgot to mention.
    "I got nasty habits, I take tea at three."

2012 The Loar LM-520-VS | old bowlback Mandolin
    2012 Gibson Les Paul Trad. Pro | 2011 Epiphone Sheraton II | 2011 Gibson Les Paul Studio | 2010 Yamaha FJX720 | 2005 Gibson Les Paul Special
    Vox VT40+ | Boss Micro BR80

Bill: you could have saved me some searching by just posting the eBay item#. The eBay listing is here. Your seller is in Finland but it looks to me that the mandolin was made, or at least patented in Germany I think that is what Gesch. means something like manufacturer -- I really do not know German. We need Martin here.

Here are the pics. It says Superton Sing not Supertone. No relation at all to the Sears line. Also, i would guess that this dates much later than the US Supertones, maybe 1950s or even later. It does look interesting with that vertical soundhole -- I like that and a very deep bowl. Let us know how it is when it arrives.
    "Gesch." does not mean manufacturer. If it should be "Geschäft" it means "shop".
    What's the word before Gesch.? Can't read that on the pic.

2012 Gibson Les Paul Trad. Pro | 2011 Epiphone Sheraton II | 2011 Gibson Les Paul Studio | 2010 Yamaha FJX720 | 2005 Gibson Les Paul Special

"Gesch." does not mean manufacturer. If it should be "Geschäft" it means "shop".
    What's the word before Gesch.? Can't read that on the pic.
    I think it says: "PATENTANTL. GESCH." then the number underneath. I have quite a few old German instrument catalogs and the companies sometimes have Gesch. after them, so you can see my confusion.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks Jim. The Label says "Musikhaus Kratochwil, 1020 Wien Taborstraße". This shop does not exist anymore. And I could not find any info about it on the web. I think this is only the label of the seller, don't think that they built it.
    I live in Vienna. Mandolines are rather exotic instruments here. So i'm afraid i have to order the new tuners. Could not find anything at the Website of Klangfarbe, which is the biggest musicstore in Vienna. If they dont fit i will return them.
    The pic's are a few weeks old, i already tried it with oil, forgot to mention.
    It still looks German to me. There are tailpieces like that usually stamped Marcelli but made in Germany. See here and here.

Strange... I would think that those tuners not having rust would be turnable. Have you taken them off the mandolin to try them?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

My guess is that the gesch. in this case is an abbreviation for geschützt which means 'protected' as in patent protected or something like that. Ma sto sparando al buio. My German skills remain an embarrassment. Kooky looking mandolin, Bill. I look forward to hearing it.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I think it says: "PATENTANTL. GESCH." then the number underneath. I have quite a few old German instrument catalogs and the companies sometimes have Gesch. after them, so you can see my confusion.
    Ok, so it means "geschützt". In combination with Patent this simply does mean it is protected by patent no ....

Now i can read it. It says: "Patentamtlich geschützt".
    Patentamt = patent office
    geschützt = protected

It still looks German to me. There are tailpieces like that usually stamped Marcelli but made in Germany. See here and here.

Strange... I would think that those tuners not having rust would be turnable. Have you taken them off the mandolin to try them?
    Than most likly it is a german one. I called it italian because that is what the person i bought it from told me.
    Yes, i took the tuners off. They are even very hard to turn without any string tension. I think they are bend.

Well, it's not exactly a mandolin but it's a bowl-back.

I thought I'd try my hand at making a Renaissance Mandore, which is the ancestor of the mandolin. Here's a picture of what I came up with:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandore.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	176.8 KB 
ID:	85141

The rosette was a cheat; I ordered one already laser-cut from a supplier. And although it first had gut frets, i found them to be too much a pain in the ass, so I substituted standard frets.

Here's a picture of it from the rear:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandore back.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	171.3 KB 
ID:	85142
    -- John LaTorre
    Sacramento, California USA
    "Good judgment is the product of experience. Experience is the product of bad judgment" -- old aviation proverb

I forgot to add that the woods are maple and rosewood, with a spruce soundboard and a maple neck. The rosette is padauk. The internal bracing is fairly modern ... X-bracing with some fans at the bridge. Right now I have it strung with Aquila "nyl-gut" stringing, tuned like a conventional mandolin, but since the E string wants to break, I may have to re-think that.

Ignore the pictures. They're for another mandolin I made. I pasted them into this missive by mistake and now I can't figure out how to delete them. Sorry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thintop mando 1.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	305.9 KB 
ID:	85143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thintop Mando 3.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	85144  
    -- John LaTorre
    Sacramento, California USA
    "Good judgment is the product of experience. Experience is the product of bad judgment" -- old aviation proverb

Hey, Bill I found another one similar to your Superton with a Wunderlich label on eBay Germany. If that is the going price, you did quite well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqF,!pcE8Wpn9Y,QBPGtk(,0Hg~~60_57.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	162.4 KB 
ID:	85182   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqZ,!iYE7TiRi(fkBPGtkfe0iQ~~60_57.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	85183   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqR,!igE7Embe1hHBPGtkqFBuQ~~60_57.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	168.5 KB 
ID:	85184  

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

wow! ... i paid £86 - nothing like an absent zero to make the heart grow fonder. c.a.wunderlich - i'll look for the name when the mandolin arrives - giuseppe in finland (love it) says he sent it yesterday. thanks, jim - really appreciate it

I have a C.A. Wunderlich catalog from my friend in Austria, but that is an earlier one from the 1920s I think, and this mandolin does not appear in it.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

assuming mine is associated with him, both appear to be from the 1950's - you've really done it now, can't wait for it to get here and this is italy, afterall, with italian postal snafu's galore ...

Hey, Bill I found another one similar to your Superton with a Wunderlich label on eBay Germany. If that is the going price, you did quite well.
    Well, that one is a Buy-It-Now that nobody has bought yet, so not much indication of market value.

I do agree that Bill's looks rather nice -- I'll be interested to hear his impressions. From what I can make out, C.A. Wunderlich was a fairly prominent instrument wholesaler/distributor, not a maker. Thus, their business model would have been similar to that of Zimmermann -- they commissioned smaller makers in the Vogtland region to make instruments for them at various market/price points. Some, but not all, of their instruments (and probably the lower end of the range) may have been made in factory-like manufactures wholly owned by them.

Bill's instrument looks rather upmarket -- few German mandolins have a proper fretboard extension and those that do were usually intended for players who can actually play up there, i.e. the top end.

Martin

I guess it is a going price assuming it actually goes.

I do like that Edvard Munch vertical hole and look fwd to the report of sound and playability when it does arrive, Bill.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

... me too. edvard munch - hah!

thanks martin - all knowledge gratefully received

The one on eBay must be the Mando equivalent to an original 59 Gibson Les Paul.
    Beside of eBay you find old Mandolines in Austria also at Willhaben.
    Here is one that looks a bit like the one on ebay. I don't think he will get the price he wants.
    Or this one from same seller. And another one.
    Or what about this one?

just what i - or anyone else - needs ... more tempting sites, selling mandolins

pleased to meet you riffhard - this could be the start of a very expensive friendship ...

What else would you do with the money? Spend it on useless things like food or cloth?

i'm in shock! - mandolin arrived in 3 days ... this is italy!?! - some signs of repair and refinishing, which was very well done - has the characteristic delicate, brittle sound but less so - happy-chappy:

Congratulations, Bill -- that looks and sounds a really nice bowlback, especially straight out of the box via Ebay! Great bargain at that price.

Martin

grazie martino! - video has elongated the image somewhat - don't have the other for comparrison's sake but the bowl seems deeper on this one; sound board a little broader at the base

You did good, Bill. Sounds nice already. What strings will you use?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: