Thread: What makes it work for you?

I am in the process of putting together an online weekly mandolin instruction offering on my website. Part of the preliminary work involves feeling out the market for what it needs.

My question is: What makes an audio/video mandolin instructional segment work for you? What are its' characteristics? What does it include? What does it look like? Anything else you'd like to add is fine by me.

Thanks. Your input is welcomed and appreciated.
    MC

No input, sorry, but I had to comment on your "handle", taterbug.
    Over 7000 members, and you're the first to think of that!

Hi MC,

We met at the first symposium, and when I came to you and DL at that funky college bar in Ithaca. Nice web page, I enjoy reading it (work avoidance you know). Complements to the web master too.

Anyway, for me I like to have what you already put up on your site, that is notation, tab and an mp3. It is nice if the mp3 is downloadable, so you can practice with it. The only thing I would add is maybe a few detailed explanations of things like how you slide into notes or double stops to get throught the tough spots. But, that is a lot of work for a free offering. A great example of this is Jay Unger and Molly Masons website (http://www.jayandmolly.com) where they do a monthly fiddle tune. Bottom line is that I think you have it right already.
    nilodnam - darn that lesdyxia

I would include notation and tab. Before I get blasted by the purists, let me explain I am a big champion of learning by ear and I also think people are too tab-dependent. But it is a fact that there are some people who take mando lessons, classes and workshops who just "lock-up" unless you provide it.

I would also provide clear, close-up views of the fingering and the picking, if you can. I would have one file with the tune played quickly and one with it played half speed. I would also have the functionality to "back-up and replay" any phrase.

Mandy Johnny just said everything I was going to say. I guess the only way to improve on that would be to make it free.

i would say that a good way to ensure you gain and keep readers is to make sure that there is always something for a beginner to become more familiar with his/her instrument.

great blog btw!
    2007 gibson f-9
    200X mid-mo [RIP] m1w

what is the link to your site