Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying with my mandolin.

Will the airline let me carry on my mando or are they going to make me check it? It's in a Calton case, but I still would rather keep it with me. Has anyone flown with one lately? And can I have strings, tuner and string cutter in the case, or put that in my luggage?
    "That shotgun made a crowd outa Paw." Lester Flatt

Yes, no (depending on the airline). Yes. Yes, yes, no. Cut = check it.
    Less talk, more pick.

I've ALWAYS carried on my mandolin, but I've also never had a hardshell case, so I wanted to be extra careful. But no airline has ever been like, "excuse me, you're going to have to check that."I think one of my favorite things about the mandolin is its size. I have no problems sitting with it between my legs on road trips. No qualms about throwing it in an overhead storage bin, etc. etc.

As for the strings, I don't know. Put them in the check luggage to be safe. Like thats not a huge problem.

mox

See above - also depends on the airline AND the departure/destination points. I recently flew to East Tennessee(TRI-CITIES/Kingsport) from Phila., Pa. - going to TRI-Cities with an F5 inside a "Travelite" zipper case - PHA checked me(patted-down, empty pockets...,etc.) - NEVER opened the "Travelite" - I carried strings but NO clippers ; leaving TRI-CITIES w. another/traded Horner F5 in a "rectangular" case - "patted-down", pockets.., etc.), the "security" was a mando player - knew about my mando and ASKED if he could see it! - sure!- no problem! - I was almost late in boarding 'cause we talked mandolins!! - ALSO, both ways I "carried"/OVERHEAD in-cabin....both ways!. Baggage is replaceable - mandolin..., now that's another "account" - If the case/luggage is within the airline's "specs" I'm sure it'll go with you. If my mandolin don't go with me(upstairs!)..., I don't go. Anyhow I would say you'll probably be OK'd. Let us know of any "Updates"... Moose.

M@ñdº|¡ñ - M@ñdºce||º Keith Erickson's Avatar

Thumbs up

I flew Delta 7 months ago and it was not a problem.
    Keith Erickson
    Benevolent Organizer of The Mandocello Enthusiast

I carried a Gibson Les Paul in a gig bag and fit it in the overhead storage bin. I was scared to death of a headstock break the whole time, but no one seemed to have a problem with it.

Last month I flew from Halifax to Toronto and back on 2 different airlines. No problem with the instrument either way. I had an A style in a hard case (not rectangular). I used a bicycle cable lock around the waist of the case to secure it. It fits tightly but holds it all together.

On the return flight with Air Canada I was put on at the last minute due to a change in flights. I was seated at the back of an Airbus 320. The aircraft was chock full. Another passenger needed space in the overhead rack so we removed the mandolin and put it behind my seat. That worked out.

Be sure not to have anythoing except the mandolin in the case. No pliers for cutting strings, no extra strings etc. I just had picks. Put anything else with the checked baggage. The case will be X-rayed.

I traveled to Israel a year ago with my mandolin. Serious security! Not only was I allowed to take the mandolin on board, but the strings were no problem in the case either. I have never had a problem with an airline not letting my mandolin on board. However, I carry with me a copy of a letter that's circulating on the Internet. I can't vouch for it's authenticity but here it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carryon_letter.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	12826  
    Avi

That letter's authentic, if a little old now. Airlines have carryon size limits and mandolins usually meet them very comfortably, so it should never be an issue. The captain of the flight always calls the shots, so there's always a chance you'll get flak trying to board. I was on a smallish flight from SLC to New Orleans awhile back and they weren't even allowing small carry-ons. I wasn't carrying an instrument, so it wasn't a big deal; we picked up our little things as we got off the plane before even getting to the terminal. I'd never check a mandolin - Calton case or not, I'd be very wary of ramp rats making something that small and obviously valuable disappear before it emerged onto the carousel.
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

Violins and Mandolins Stephanie Reiser's Avatar

I fly between Bangor Maine to North Carolina and to New York frequently. The mando and the laptop always comes along. They could care less about the mandolin. I keep the strings in the case, and the electronic tuner, but the cutter goes in the suitcase. I wish they WOULD make me take the instrument out, because I am so in love with it, but they just dont care, and I've never had a problem.
    I wonder how the guitar guys do it, or even Edgar Meyer?
    http://www.stephaniereiser.com then click mandolins

Some musicians pay for an extra seat for their instruments. Really

Avi
    Avi

Quote Originally Posted by (improziv @ Jan. 05 2006, 20:38)
    Some musicians pay for an extra seat for their instruments. Really

Avi
    My nephew brought the two guitars he was building with him from NYC to TX and he purchased tickets for each of them.
    Bill Snyder

Security is never an issue. I use a gig bag with back pack straps and book a window seat. Once in my seat I sort of hide the mando between my leg and the wall. Since the bag is black and my leg obscures most of it it is really hard to see so I almost never have a problem. Only one time have they spotted it and insisted that I put it in the overhead bin.

Weber Aspen #2

I've flown Air Canada and Westjet within Canada and Northwest in the U.S. with no problems with Calton in a Colorado Case cover.

I flew several times last year with my A style in a hardshell case. Even in little regional jets, I didn't have any problems.

Fly all the time and only had to check it on short flight from Denver,CO to McCook, NE on a Beechcraft 1900D prop plane. Strings/Tuner no problem. I never carry the wire cutters in the mandolin case when I fly-just never tried. I usually fly with a Weber Bitterroot in a hardshell case. Once met up with a mandola player in Denver aiport and we had a jam session waiting on our different connecting flights. I usually fly USAir and I am allowed one carry one and one personal item usually. Mandolin easily fits size requirements as a carry on and fits into the overhead nicely.
    Jim Ellis
    Mandolin/Mandola = Made in Montana, USA
    http://www.VaBluegrass.com/

What ever you do, make sure you tune all your strings down! heheh. I speak from experience... #

I once flew from NYC to Baltimore in a small turboprop with precious little overhead space. The flight attendant offered to store my Ocatve Mando in her closet near the front of the plane.

I've never experienced a problem with my mando or omando. Guitarists, however....
    Gold Tone GM110
    Eastman MD504
    Soares'y Reso-Tenor (gdae)
    Mandobird
    Sherwood Octave
    LITM Contrabass Balalaika

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

Just remember -- as was said above the Captain has the last word, and you have no rights on the aircraft -- not even for passage! if the Captain says no. If the overheads are very full (try flying from Miami to South American some time! along with the results of major shopping sprees) anyone can be asked to check their bag. Of course you almost always get a sympathetic cabin crew with an instrument -- BUT IT IS NOT A GIVEN -- so you MUST be prepared to surrender your instrument if it won't fit ENTIRELY in the seat in front of you. 99 times of 100 there will be no problem but I just wanted to alert you that it could happen.

2 years ago I flew from Quebec to Newark with a Kalamazoo in a case. Jumped the A train and had a stroll down 7th Avenue, took out the mando and played a lick on the street. Later same day I flew back to Denmark and had a stopover in Amsterdam. I had the mandolin with me all the time, and they were happy to X-ray it in Quebec, Newark and Amsterdam, but never asked me to open the case.
    Now, if I was carrying an upright bass...
    ---
    Søren

Quote Originally Posted by (Moose @ Jan. 05 2006, 13:47)
    ,,,I recently flew to East Tennessee(TRI-CITIES/Kingsport) from Phila., Pa. - going to TRI-Cities with an F5 inside a "Travelite" zipper case - PHA checked me(patted-down, empty pockets...,etc.) - NEVER opened the "Travelite" ,,,
    Funny. I work at the airport from time to time. My toolbox weighs in about 450 pounds, nice solid steel. I have to go thru the metal detecters and my work boots have came off a few times to prove their harmlessness. But not once have I been asked to open the toolbox.
    Gibson A9
    Eastman 804D two point, blonde

Nothing is fool proof for a talented fool

Blog Entries

Air America West will make you gate check your mandolin. They do not consider instruments "baggage" and you cannot convince them otherwise. I simply don't fly them anymore
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Hey Jason! - naaaa..., I never liked THAT airline ANYHOW!### - Fly USAir or Southwest.. "...you are now free to move about the country." hee.. hee.. AND a Happy New Year! . Moose.

I've flow a coupla times with mine and no issues. Once with the TKL hard case and once with the Travelite, which is bigger. I may take one with me next month, if I ever start playing it again.
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

I used to travel alot and I always used to just put my garment bag in the front closet. Just one time there was no room so they checked it in for me. So far have have never heard of anybody who had to check in their mando. I've seen guitars on planes. If I have mando with me on plane it's because I'm going to some bluegrass/mando event. If that mando gets damaged, I might as well jump on the next plane home. The airline insurance probably won't cover the cost of most mandos out there. It stays with me on the plane no matter what. Period. It would take the police to get me off the plane if there was an issue was bringing a mandolin on board.