Thread: Martin tenor guitar

I'm not sure this belongs in this section, but I'll take a chance. Feel free to cut me off

I recently saw a Martin "custom" tenor guitar from 1987 for sale. It had what they called a "baby dreadnought style 28" body and sounded very very good to my ears. Played well too. They wanted about $2000

Does anyone know anything about these instruments? Did Martin make these routinely or could this be a one-of-a-kind? How do they compare quality-wise with others on the market? What do you think about the price? Of course you can't have a full idea without seeing/feeling it but I really know nothing about martin Tenors - especially from this period. I wasn't even shopping for one but it just wanted to stay in my hands

hmmm....

Avi
    Avi

I don't know anything about them either. But, I believe if you find something that doesn't want to leave your hands, you should trust your instincts!

Paula

There are a couple for sale at Intermountain Guitar and Banjo here in Salt Lake City. One is a 1929, the other from the 50's. They were certainly more common in the 20's than 80's, but that price is more reflective of a 20's 0-18t than anything built by Martin in the 80's. The model you played is probably an 0-18t, as well. I've played a few and anything from the 20's is hands down a nicer sounding tenor, but at that price you need to be very convinced it's the right thing for you. Here's a link to Intermountain Guitar & Banjo. Follow the inventory link to used Martin guitars.

Best,
    Ken
    Less talk, more pick.

I have a 1942 5-17T for sale...follow the link on my 1914 Gibson ad for a few pic's of it and some other tenor guit's im selling as i down size for a trip/move.
    Jeff
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

I think that improsiv really did have a one-of-a-kind custom Martin in his hands. #

I stumbled across an ad for the guitar I believe he describes, and it really was a scaled down dred in tenor configuration. #They had a pic of it right next to a D-28.

I have a couple tenors tuned GDAE, and wished I was close enough to go give that guitar a whirl. #Was the bass strong?

I'd suggest going to tenorguitar.com and trying the chat board there. #I'll bet an expert there can give you all the info you're looking for. #Be careful though, I'm about to put my mid-mo m-11 up for sale, it's gotten no use since the tenor came home.

Daryl

The most common Martins were O17T and O18T after the 30s. #They had other smaller sizes before that. #They were made as a regular production model (a few a year) into the late 40s or early 50s I think, then again in the folk boom of the early 60's. #Until the reissue of the Kingston trio models, 40 of which were made in 1997, they were custom order only, and they are back to being that way.

I have never seen a Dreadnaught shaped Martin tenor. #The 2 Martin books I have list an O28T, but no listings for Dreadnaughts. #The book says th O shape was the only one they made after the 30s. #They did make a very few archtops in the 30s as well.

They made 1000 or so tenors in 1930, these seem to be the most common used Martin tenors for sale that I see.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

FWIW, I stumbled back onto the site with the mini-dred tenor. Here's the linK:
    http://www.larkstreetmusic.com/list/pict/BABYT.jpg

I don't know that "genre" of music you enjoy(Bluegrass, Celtic..,ol' timey..etc.), but for an excellent listening/appreciation of a tenor(Martin!) listen to any Delmore Brothers recording - NOT "traditional" 'grass, but "early-hillbilly"..., blues.. : however one chooses to "label" them..,THEY were great(IMHO)- "Freight Train Boogie",; "Lay Down my ol' Guitar" - "Blues Stay Away From Me" and et al... - Alton & Rabon. The Louvin Brothers recorded a "Tribute to the Delmore Brothers" - nuf' said!?. Alton loaned Ira Louvin Rabons Martin Tenor guitar for the "session". (Rabon had passed on) - the beauty and "simplicity" of their(Delmores/Louvins) music is..., to say the least, ...profound! - Moose.

Moose - Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check them out. These days I play mostly Irish traditional music but I listen to a wide variety of stuff from free jazz to Old Time and much more.

Avi
    Avi

Quote Originally Posted by (dburtnett @ Jan. 09 2006, 01:24)
    FWIW, I stumbled back onto the site with the mini-dred tenor. Here's the linK:
    http://www.larkstreetmusic.com/list/pict/BABYT.jpg
    And here is the description:

MARTIN Baby Dreadnought Style 28 Tenor guitar, Custom, 1987, Rare 13 5/8" wide at lower bout, body is 17 1/4" long, scalloped forward bracing, exc+...$2150

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Yup. That's the one that I played.

Avi
    Avi

This one has to be a custom order. Cool!!

Another source for great tenor guitar playing is Benny Thomasson CD "The Weiser Reunion" w/son Jerry on tenor. Available at www.voyagerrecords.com
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Yea Pete, thats a great recording...I heard it at a friends and need to get one for me.
    Look up (to see whats comin down)