Finally did the binding on my IV kit. Stuff--
The blue masking tape worked great. Didn't pull up the spruce at all when I peeled it up. I was able to get a lot of tension on it too to pull the binding into the grove.
To pre-bend the binding, I used 1" and 1/2" copper pipe, visible in background. I held it in the flame of the gas range for a minute or two while I ran the binding under the kitchen faucet. I then turned the flame off and bent until the heat ran out. Repeat until done. Using the vice from my drill press allowed using both hands to hold the binding. I had to tilt it to get the pipe in the flame when heating but it was worth using the vice for the ease of work. Wore leather work gloves, duh.
Used tightbond to glue.
Used the razor saw and sandpaper to trim length.
Used the flux brush to spread glue.
The brown blob on the scrap of wood is an experment mixing saw dust with glue to see if I want to try it as a filler.