Thread: Wedding Gig on the 30th

Got a payin' gig next friday and the family wants an Irish piece for the dollar bill dance. #Now, I'm the first to admit I'm not an Irish picker or fiddler -- old timey mainly -- but I know a few tunes. #Probably be on fiddle on this one, then the rest of the night I'll spend on the mandolin with 2 other guys who'll be on guitar/piano playing more popular country/pop songs with them. #These 2 other guys aren't into trad tunes much, so this'll be interesting.

I was gonna string some tunes together, but don't really have "sets" since it's not the style I play much out. #But, I know several tunes in this area and below is a partial list, though some may be English or Scottish. #Any ideas on which to make a nice set for a dance is appreciated. #All in same key (like the Em ones?)? or change keys. #Some below are 2 tune sets and they want to dance to it, so some of the ones below might not fit well -- too slow.

Thanks.

I thought Kesh Jig may work well, but what to team it with? #This'll be a far cry from playing square dances. #One day I want to concentrate more on this area of Irish tunes.

David Mehaffey
    -------------------------------
    ...I wonder how the old folks are at home...

Gotta play a waltz or two at the wedding.
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

I think this trad. piece will only be in one dance and I get the feeling they want jigs or quick reels. The rest of the set is already made and no trad tunes, just fills and breaks on mando/fiddle. This'll be the only time to make 'em "really" dance.

Here's what I've been fiddlin' with:
    Road to Lisd./Swallowtail/Kesh/Irish Washerwoman.

Nice set of jigs and I may eliminate either Kesh or Washerwoman depending on what time allows and how it goes.

Any further suggestions welcomed. Got to increase my Irish repertoire... But then I'll be hung up on the bowed ornaments...
    David Mehaffey

Haste to the Wedding adapts beautifully to playing at a waltz tempo with a winsome kind of feeling. Kesh Jig would work as well I think. You can provide some contrast by bringing them up to jig tempo after a couple of slow repeats.

The Kesh Jig does adapt beautifully as a waltz. In the full ballet of The Nutcracker, the scene where the grown-ups dance at the ball, the waltz tune is remarkably similar to the Kesh. My string quartet uses it a lot at weddings.

I would also recommend sticking to reels or jigs played like waltzes. Most people aren't used to dancing to regular jigs, and if you play a slip jig they'll be tripping over their feet. Hornpipes would probably be ok too.

Update on the gig: the bride didn't want a trad. tune for the $ dance, but for her and her new husband's 1st dance. The first dance of the evening. So, I played Star of the County Down and they waltzed to it. It was really nice.

Later that night she requested a jig, so I fiddled Swallowtail Jig and the other 2 guys backed me great. It was fun to see her dance alone, then finally with the guy.

Fun night. Lots of other mix of non-trad stuff inbetween ranging from jazz to country to pop. But, I made my $100, which was icing on the cake. I appreciate yall's comments.
    David Mehaffey