Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marty Stuart

Just thought I would share something : As a librarian("day gig"!#), many books cross my desk. Most I process and send on "down the line". Occasionly something will "pique" my interest and I'll snag it for a time(or more!). This one caught my attention - and emotion(s): "From Every Stage: Images of America's Roots Music"(University of Mississippi Press, 2005). On page 93 there is a short interview with Marty Stuart. I quote: "...first and foremost I am a Bluegrass musician. Anything I do has been added on to that. I'll never lose the effect Lester Flatt[had on me]." -'nuff said! - RIP Lester - your memory - and music - are in good hands. Thanks. Moose.

I agree, Moose. #Many bluegrass pioneers were high tenors (Bill Monroe, Bobby Osborne, Jimmy Martin, Ralph Stanley and John Duffey). #Others pitched their vocals down a bit more (Carter Stanley, Mac Wiseman and Red Smiley). #But ol' Lester could make bluegrass work with a deep modulated delivery. #To me, his voice was about as smooth as Tennessee sippin' whiskey #Or 10W30 motor oil! #

Here, here to both of ya.

Jimmy Martin was not a high tenor!
    Aaron Garrett

But Lester could sing a great tenor when he wanted to.
    What The ....

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

I well remember Marty as a young teenager in Lester's band, in person and on the early morning (0545?) WSM show, around 1974-76. His voice hadn't broken yet and his singing was ... painful... but his mando picking was ridiculously good. My band was invited once as special guests to one of their shows, and after one of Marty's solos, my band leader turned to me and said "doesn't that make you want to go home and smash your instruments and swallow all your flatpicks??". Lester sure "imprinted" on Marty at a very impressionable age. But don't forget the Sullivan family (good BG gospel group), Marty did a lot with them growing up in Mississippi.

Here he tis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	martyandtherose.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	12366  

Scotti, Can you identify the mandolin in the picture for us? The carved-up Gibson that Marty plays is one fine-sounding instrument, but I have a feeling that he could make a cigar box sound pretty good!

Aaron,
    The hell he wasn't! He could sing any part he wanted...
    Travers Chandler and Avery County
    www.averycountybluegrass.com

www.thebluegrassbrothers.com

All hail to the glory of Frank Wakefield, Buzz Busby and Bill Monroe

He could sing anything, and for my money he was along with Carter the greatest lead singer. But he was not a high tenor. Bill could sing anything he wanted as well, and did, but he was not a lead.

But I grant your point!

May he rest in peace, and may the Grand Ole Opry go to ...
    Aaron Garrett

WSM -650 on your AM dial! - "Now you bake right, with Martha White,......goodness gracious it's good". THAT started my day! 'still does...., in my head - and memories. - Thanks for the memory-jog. Moose.

Ken..that would be my Rose #29.

Quote Originally Posted by (Garrett @ Dec. 14 2005, 11:21)
    He could sing anything, and for my money he was along with Carter the greatest lead singer. But he was not a high tenor. Bill could sing anything he wanted as well, and did, but he was not a lead.

But I grant your point!

May he rest in peace, and may the Grand Ole Opry go to ...
    He does contribute a falsetto tenor on two of Monroe's
    gospel recordings, Meet You In Church Sunday Morning,
    and Angels Rock Me To Sleep. Martin mentions
    that fact in one of JMoss' interviews,
    and Neil Rosenberg confirms it (in his forthcoming book).
    But he was by no means a *natural* tenor.

Arguably
    the only two natural tenors in the earlier days
    of Bluegrass were Bobby Osborne and John Duffey.

As a natural tenor, you have to include Jim McReynolds, probably the best natural tenor that was ever in the business.
    What The ....

Quote Originally Posted by (swampstomper @ Dec. 14 2005, 02:27)
    I well remember Marty as a young teenager in Lester's band, in person and on the early morning (0545?) WSM show, around 1974-76. #His voice hadn't broken yet and his singing was ... painful... but his mando picking was ridiculously good. #My band was invited once as special guests to one of their shows, and after one of Marty's solos, my band leader turned to me and said "doesn't that make you want to go home and smash your instruments and swallow all your flatpicks??". #Lester sure "imprinted" on Marty at a very impressionable age. #But don't forget the Sullivan family (good BG gospel group), Marty did a lot with them growing up in Mississippi.
    Yes, Marty could burn it up back then. I have a live tape of the Nashville Grass, maybe 1978 or so, where they do their patented Cripple Creek, slow, then fast. Kenny Ingram kicks off the up-tempo part, then Marty takes a solo. Man, I have never heard a faster, more sprightly read of this than that break.

Quote Originally Posted by (ourgang @ Dec. 15 2005, 08:43)
    As a natural tenor, you have to include Jim McReynolds, probably the best natural tenor that was ever in the business.
    ..I dont know..I would have to say Ira Louvin..

Scotti: Thanks - the "volitile genius" - Ira and Charlie "switching" parts in the middle of a song like warm butter!! RIP Ira - Thanks for the wonderful music - I pray your inner "demons" are no more. Moose.

Touche aaron!!! Also lest we forget Red Allen and even Bill Emerson...yes Bill Emerson...
    Travers Chandler and Avery County
    www.averycountybluegrass.com

www.thebluegrassbrothers.com

All hail to the glory of Frank Wakefield, Buzz Busby and Bill Monroe

don't know much about bluegrass, flatt, scruggs, etc..
    i do know that someone bought me a monroe tribue on dvd, and marty stuart blew me away. it wasn't the speed, precision, or the fire he has in performing, it was just the way he played it. i know that sounds simplistic, but there was just something that hit me more than any of the other mandoists on the dvd

Ira, was it Raw Hide? I think I saw this same tribute on my local PBS affiliate a few years back and man, did Marty just wear it out on Raw Hide. #That old dark F5 sounds great, too. #Wonder what the story is behind that instrument? #I think I read that he owns Clarence White's old Telecaster.
    Clark Beavans

I got to meet Marty a few weeks back and got to hold his mando for a bit and snap a few photos. That mando is just flat out cool. I didn't have a lot of time to spend with the mandolin but I saw the following signatures carved both on the front and back....these are just a few of many!
    Lester Flat
    Earl Scruggs
    JRC=Johnny Cash
    Jerry Lee Lewis
    Cowboy Jack Clement
    Bob Wills

He was also playing Clarence White's telecaster.
    Marty also owns the original lyrics sheet to Hank William's "I saw the Light".

The story I was told about his carved up mando is this: Marty was playing in Johnny Cash's back-up band while married to Roseanne. Marty had bought a brand new mandolin and while on stage Johnny asked to see his new mandolin. When Marty handed it to him Johnny pulled out a pocketknife and carved JRC on the lower bout in front of the F hole. I would say the initials are a good 1.5 to 2" in height. I guess Marty was pretty shocked and after coming off stage he asked Johnny why he carved his name in the top of his new mandolin. To this Johnny replied..."Because I want you to remember the Lord" and Marty told Johnny "Johnny, I could remember the Lord without you carving your initials on my brand new mandolin!".
    Hopefully once I get this film developed I can get some pics posted. Marty was a really nice guy and put on a great show. Getting to fondle that mandolin for a bit made my evening!
    I never wanted them all, Just the ones I wanted.....

BenE, It will be a treat to get close-up sights of Marty's mandolin! The few times that I have heard him play this instrument, I have really been impressed with it. We are looking forward!

Just to keep facts straight,Marty was married to Cindy Cash,not Roseanne. Rodney Crowell and Roseanne were married for many years but are no longer together. Cindy is her sister.

JPP

Seeing a recording of Jim McReynolds on RFD TV a few weeks ago, gave me a great respect for his high tenor. #He was up in the sky on some of those notes and didnt strain a bit. #Smooth.

Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

I could be wrong but I think Chris Warner built that mandolin originally for Roland White. When Roland didn't take it, Marty did. I think Marty was staying with Roland about that time, when they were both playing in Flatt's band.

I'm sure people here know Roland; I'm sure he knows the skinny.....

Best to all

Jim