Thread: Johnson Savannah

Hello ya'll,

I just purchased a Johnson Savannah on ebay. #I know this is not a great instrument or anything, but is it a decent beginner model? #I have been playing banjo for almost a year and love it, and I have always loved the mando sound too. #I could only talk the hubby into a few hundred bucks, so hopefully I can learn on it. #It is new and cost $179 with free shipping. #I can't wait to get it, it also comes with a DVD. #Any comments good or bad are welcome. #By the way, I play b-grass on the jo but am fooling around with classical some too. #Thanks,

Mandy

Mandy I heard a ten year old boy tearing up one of those the other day. He made it sound real good. If it sounds good to you and you can get started it is worth what you paid. Let some one set it up for you when it gets in and it will sound better. I bought my grand son a beginner in that price range and it came in with the bridge "stuck" on with some type of glue. I removed the glue, fitted the bridge to the top, put some good strings on it and it made a world of difference. Congratulations on your new mandolin. G.B.
    What could have happened--did!
    2002 F-5L Gibson
    Eastman 915
    23 Gibson Snake Head
    62 Gibson J-50
    No name A-oval hole

What Golman8 said. The most important thing with a low-end instrument, especially if it did not come from some place like Elderly, which sets them up nicely, is to have someone adjust it for you. It can make the difference between frustration and enjoyment. Sometimes replacing the bridge with a better one will produce a marked improvement in tone, also. That's a pretty low-cost modification. Enjoy your new mando, and welcome to the Cafe.

Blog Entries

I'll voice in with Eric and Golman8. That mando could be a fine beginner modle and take you a good ways. Get it set up properly and put some better strings on it. I still play my Johnson Oval hole A style from time to time (as do my kids). Welcome to Mandoland and enjoy. Ask often get answers.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Thanks for the info, I just emailed the company to see if it comes set up or not. #Hopefully it does, because I'm kindof in the middle of nowhere.

Mandy

Mandy, you can check and adjust the intonation, and raise or lower the action yourself without too much grief. That should get you started. I'm kind of in the middle of nowhere, too, but luckily there's a former Gibson employee who has a store here. You'll find a valuable resource for instrument care and feeding at frets.com.

Also, what store did you buy it from?

Here is the link to the store, they really had a lot of great feedback. #

http://stores.ebay.com/MusiciansStorehouse-Dot-Com

Wow, I like that "Daisy Rock Stardust Acoustic/Electric Girl Guitar"!

Stranger things have happened, but I'd be surprised if it arrives set up. They might just be a drop shipper. Anyhow, you ought to be able to mess around with it some yourself. Post back if you're having problems. There are lots of people here with a ton of knowledge.

Mandy- it is very likely that (no matter what the store tells you) your mandolin will benefit from some attention and adjustments after you get it. You've come to the right place...These boards have TONS of information to help you. Read and learn and do just one thing at a time. And there are lots of folks here who are very generous with their time and with information. Frets.com is a great resource as well.

Welcome aboard...
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Blog Entries

Mandy,

If, after you adjust the bridge, change strings you still hurt playing your new mando consider shipping it out to someone. #Steve Perry's Mando Voodoo process has been very well reviewed. #It'll cost $100 plus shipping but if you can't find anyone locally to touch it I would recomend that or shipping to Elderly, if they could set it up. #My Johnson was drop shipped and really benefitted from a lower nut so I could fret easily in first position. #Believe me, you'll play an istrument that doesn't fight back alot more than one that does. #I waited a year before I got mine set up and wished I had done it much sooner.

Jamie

PS. I'm not on Steve or Elderly's payrole. I would just trust either of those places to give me my money's worth.

There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I recently bought a Johnson electric and I really like the sound. I have lowered the action a bit and that has helped. My biggest frustration is that it doesn't stay in tune very well so I am considering changing the tuning machines. I also played a used Johson F-style a while back and it sounded pretty good, too.

I have thought about Mandovoodoo but wonder if it is a waste on such an inexpensive instrument. Again, I like the sound of this enough that I would consider the investment.

Thanks everyone for all the help. #I just got an email from the company assuring me that they do all the set-up work and that the only thing I will have to do is retune it. #We will see I guess. #I really like my banjo action super low so, I imagine that I will have to mess with it a little.

Mandy

The interesting thing about less expensive instruments is that they can often be very good or very bad. I was visiting a friend in Tacoma a month ago. A music store had an array of top end mandos that looked great but played poorly. I happened to pick up a pac-rim Fender that was priced at around 190 and it blew the doors right off of those high end models. Again--I am often amazed that people buy top end "name" instruments over e-bay with out having a hint of an idea of what the tone or projection may be. I have played five Gibsons in a store and only one of them really sang out. So, be proud of your Johnson.

Blog Entries

I also bought a Johnson having never played any instrument at all since than I bought an electric mandolin a banjo mandolin and a strre guitar to play with since I don't have a lot of money invested and I love to tinker!!! I have made several non adjustable bridges and changed the strings I have been told that the bronze srings won't pick up well??? and added a pre amp put light strings on the banjo mandolin and think that they sound very sweet much better then what I have tried in the stores and I'm not going in and tune theres If they want to sell it than they should tune it?
    fred davis