Thread: The Christmas Song tab

Unhappy

Does anyone have tab for "The Christmas Song"? I have always known it as "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire". I would like to learn it for my mom. She really likes the song. Thanks to everyone!

Dan

I just worked that out on guitar and intend to start on mando soon.

Are you looking for a chord melody or just the melody? (If it's the former I won't have it done before christmas.)

There is one in the TablEdit files at Madozine. At least one, there may be more.

Thanks rsgars, I thought I had looked there but I guess not good enough.

250sc,

I would love to have the chord melody after you get it worked out. After Christmas would be fine. Please just let me know what you need me to send you, if anything! Thanks a bunch!

Dan

Other hip Xmas tunes for mando

Sleigh Ride
    Christmas Time Is Here (Charlie Brown and gang)
    Comfort and Joy (real title is ??)
    Santa Claus is Coming To Town

A friend and I worked up a rippin' double-mando version of Deck The Halls for a Christmas party gig a few years back. We worked out the melody/harmony lines and alternated on who took melody between taking turns on leads. I'm not big on Christmas tunes, but that was fun to jam on!

Paul Doubek

"... beauty is not found in the excessive but what is lean and spare and subtle" - Terry Tempest Williams

i tried downloading the 'we wish you a merry christmas' tef file from mandozine but i get an error saying it can't be opened. is it me?

2007 gibson f-9
    200X mid-mo [RIP] m1w

o2b.pickin

Sean

In order to use the TablEdit tef files from MandoZine's TablEdit Archives, you need to use the free TefViewer.

BTW, in case you're interested in finding some of the other tef files to play on your mando this season ... the Christmas music is found in the Seasonal/Special Occasions category of the Archives.

Also, this time of year, some folks will often play certain Classical tunes ...

Bach's:
    Ava Maria
    Jesu, Joy of Man's Desire
    Sheep May Safely Graze
    Sleepers Awake

Pachelbel's:
    Canon in D

Vivaldi's:
    Four Seasons: Winter - 2. Largo

Funny thing is ... I've not celebrated Christmas very often in my life (& never as a kid with my family), but due to marketing/osmosis I can hum/play most any of the xmas carols & often even know the words! ... & now, after making this list, I realize I've transcribed/submitted 9 seasonal tunes in the archives! (tho 4 are in classical ;^)

Keepin' tuned ...
    Wendy Anthony

A Few of My Favourite Mandolin Links

MelBay MandolinSessions: Cindy

Registered User Mandolin_Mayhem's Avatar

yea i got the chirstmas song. its off a program called tabledit. d/l tabledit from tabledit.com then go to
    co-mando.com and look under the practice tunes tab. click 'tabledit files' and search for christmas song in seasonal/special occasions catergory.

the last part of the tabature is a lil confusing and it doesnt show where to repeat the last part but im sure anyone who has heard the song can figure it out.

hope it helps

Mayhem

o nvm...

Interestinly, I started writing a Christmas Mandolin Tablature book this past weekend. I'll probably make it available with a CD playing each tune slow and fast and one track for each tune with no mandolin at all - just backup instruments.

I suppose $15 will be a pretty good price for this project. I'm sure I will not have the CD ready for Christmas this year but I'll probably have all the tab written in the next week or two. I already have about a dozen songs tabbed with chords.

I will bind each book with comb binding so it will lay open flat for easy reading. If anyone is interested in the book (and later a free cd to go with it) just send me an email from my web site at www.16tracks.com.

I replied to this post because the original message was about one of the songs in my new book.
    Gary Shepherd
    www.16tracks.com