Thread: Daley Mandolin

Can anyone tell be the builder of this "F" mandolin? I think the gentleman playing is Troy, with the Patty Loveless band.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deanie___Troy.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	11471  

http://www.simdaley.com/
    Russ Jordan

Blog Entries

He doesn't look happy!

That woman looks like a man....it must be that "Nashville" hair cut.....geesh.
    "Well, Yes, It is true that it did have random Hippie Sanding done to it"

"It's about the journey and not the destination."

Quote Originally Posted by (Tim Saxton @ Oct. 29 2005, 10:58)

Geesh,
    I hope her husband don`t hang out here at the Café

Darrell
    Gibson MM #V-70335 5/2002

Maybe that's why she's "Loveless"?
    --Prof PT

Don't hate me because I know how to spell and punctuate!

Thanks guys; Tim, that is Deanie Richardson, a fine fiddle player and mandolin picker. In the attached it looks like a plugged-in Gibson A5-L.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deannie_and_a_wired_Gibson_A_5L.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	11474  

"He doesn't look happy!"

I've had that look before too! - right before getting poked with the fiddle bow!!
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

mmmmmm......much nicer.
    "Well, Yes, It is true that it did have random Hippie Sanding done to it"

"It's about the journey and not the destination."

vintagemandolin.com Charles Johnson's Avatar

The fellow playing mandolin in the first pic is Troy Engle, a very accomplished picker. He's played with the Mark Newton band and Ralph Stanley in the past, and is equally good on guitar, fiddle and pedal steel. The Daley must be his gigging mandolin - he usually picks a 27 Fern.

Charles

Rod Stewart, to be specific.

But it's just the hair thing and a bad picture. No offense or criticism intended.

Bob DeVellis

And now back to the Daley mandolin....Sim Daley is a luthier in Nashville and used to work for Gibson making mandolins. I do not know exactly when...I have been to his shop and had him do some work on my mandolins. He is from England and is a great guy, willing to talk with you about his product or just mandolins in general.

His mandolins have been getting a lot of attention and Adam Steffy has recently begun endorsing them. In my coinversations with him he seems to be building mandolins right on Loar specs and is very proud of his work. Some beautiful mandolins! Check out his website and give him a call if you are interested.
    1991 Flatiron Festival
    2010 Morgan Monroe MDM 2
    1997 Martin D-35
    2012 Taylor 410CE LTD
    1977 Fender F-65

I heard (third hand) that Adam Steffey plugged his Daley mandolin when he won the mandolin player of the year award. #

I've got a Daley standard model and its a really great sounding mandolin. #As stated above, Sim is a great guy and strives to make sure you're satisfied.

John Gay
    Memphis

Tennessee (Still Missing North Carolina Though!)

I love Adam and all but he is a mandolin hoe! Give it another two or three years and he will be playing the next builder's mandolin that will give him one. I think the longest he has played any mandolin was the Gilchrist. How many different one's has he played from the 90's up until now? Let's see: Sullivan, Gilchrist, Apitius, Gibson, Daley....I could be missing one or two here. Oh well. I guess do it if you can.
    If F-model mandolins have F-holes then why don't A-model mandolins have A-holes???

addendum to above: "...(Chas.)HORNER F5...., too! (Well, maybe he's just got "chronic MAS"!!??##)

Quote Originally Posted by (mandoJeremy @ Oct. 31 2005, 12:41)
    I love Adam and all but he is a mandolin hoe! #Give it another two or three years and he will be playing the next builder's mandolin that will give him one. #
    While what you say may be true to a degree (I do not know, since I don't personally know Adam Steffey), your logic is not. #Gibson may have given him the mandolin with his signature on it. #In fact, I'm quite sure they did. #They gave Roland White his current mandolin. #I happen to have on good authority that Adam paid cash money for the Daley. #I wasn't there, so I cannot personally testify to it, but I spoke with Sim a week or so after Adam picked up his mandolin. #Sim said he would have gladly given Adam the mandolin, but Adam insisted on paying for it.

I'm sure Adam can play whatever mandolin he wants within reason. #That's just not fair to suggest he's chosen a mandolin based on its being given to him gratis, especially if that assumption is false.

Do you know otherwise? #If so, let's hear the details.
    Rick in Memphis

It is a journey folks! Right now I will say that my Daley is the best I've ever own. Before that is was my Gibson and so on. I'm not looking to replace mine but I always enjoy sampling just to hear what others sound like.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Tennessee (Still Missing North Carolina Though!)

No Rick I don't know otherwise about the Daley but I know otherwise about the other mandolins he's owned and I am quite sure that even if he paid cash for it, it certainly wasn't full price! #Like I said, just wait 2, 3, or 4 years and see what Adam is playing then. #For the record, I wasn't knocking the Daley mandolins at all because I am sure they are great mandolins. #Now back to the discussion of the mandolins. #Sorry I sidetracked it a little.

If F-model mandolins have F-holes then why don't A-model mandolins have A-holes???

I think that getting back to the instrument in question would be a good idea, especially since I was about to add a new post asking about Daley as a shop not too far away from me has an F 5 Classic in and I am looking to aquire an F style.

Can I have some more opinion on the instrument please ?
    Gael

Hello Gaelen,
    I just recently received my Sim Daley F5 Classic, and I am extremely pleased with all aspects of it. Sim is a great builder and a great person. You can follow the build progression of my instrument in the Post a Picture category with the thread titled " the Birth of My Sim Daley F5".
    - Jonathan in Chicago

Is it possible that Adam Steffey is on a search for his ideal sound, like the rest of us? Why assume that he's doing something untoward. It's not like he's making that much money selling mandolins after a few years. And it's not like they are bad makers!
    Aaron Garrett

I have had Sim do some work on my Mandos and have played a few of his instruments. They are excellent and I have not heard a bad one. I would encourage you to go play one. I dont think you will be disappointed.
    Yeah, Keep calling me Hillbilly........

I sorted thru alot of mando's (famous makers most) before I settled on a nice Sim A-5. and I have fond memories of most of them. There was a unique Kimble A-5 with a real sweet tone. My Randy Wood was a work of art. The Apitius sounded like a grand piano. In the end it may just be personal preference.