Thread: Flatiron A Owners (past and present)...

What is it about them that you like? They get great reviews here and I am considering one of these, a Festival A. How do they compare to mandos like the A9 and other good A models?
    Richard Russell

This is difficult to answer, exactly. I own a '93 Flatiron A5 Artist (Carlson), which is X-braced, quilted maple; very "punchy" and loud. I also have a '99 Weber Beartooth, also X-braced (but some difference); very sweet tone, but a little less volume than the Flatiron. I have played a new top-of-the-line Collings A (tone bars) which is one of the loudest "A" mandolins I've heard, but lacked the warmer tone that I crave (that may take a little time). I have played a couple of used Weber Absarokas (X-braced) which were very similar in tone to the Beartooth, but one had a very deep tone, which could be remedied with a different bridge, pearl nut and lighter gauge strings. I have played a '84 Flatiron A5-2 (X-braced) that was an absolutely marvelous mandolin by any standards. The only way to suit your own ears is to travel some and try all the "A"s you can get your hands on!

What is it you like about them? Practically everything! Tone, volume, playability, value, history, mojo, people involved in making them, they retain their value, many versions to choose from, fit and finish, USA made, need I continue?

The Flatiron A models are Great Bluegrass Mandos. I especially like the Signature Series Flatiron A's and the Carlsen signed A's. I also like the Nashville A's. Look for one that has an elevated fretboard - not the integrated fretboard. The integrated fretboard is actually part of the Mando's top. It was a cost savings production measure. The elevated fretboard delivers better tone IMO.

Hard to go wrong with a Flatiron

I HAVE HAD AN A5-1 SINCE 1984, SIGNED BY STEVE CARLSON. I THINK IT MAY BE THE ONE NEXT TO "FATT-DAD"S, HERE ON THE BOARD. THE BACKS ARE SO SIMILAR, WHEN I SAW THE PICTURE OF HIS, I RAN AND LOOKED IN THE CASE TO MAKE SURE IT WAS STILL THERE. CONSENSUS OF OPINION IS THAT THEY ARE EXTREMELY CONSISTENT IN QUALITY AS WELL AS APPEARANCE. PERSONALLY I LIKE
    THE TONE, LOUDNESS, PLAYABILITY, EVERYTHING ABOUT MINE. I CAN'T IMAGINE EVER LETTING IT GET AWAY. IT'S ONE OF MY FAVORITE MANDOLINS I'VE EVER PLAYED.
    TJohnson

I had an 80's performer A a few years ago - the earlier version with the integrated neck (not suspended over the body like the current ones). I liked it just fine, and had a good time with it. Sold it to buy another banjo (silly me), and now eventually hope to find another. Don't know how much of an issue the different fingerboards are unless you are anticipating a neck reset, when the earlier version may be more trouble. I have played both kinds and they have all been very good or better - never yet played a clunker. They were just one mandolin where it all seemed to come together and work well.

Stephen

I have a recent(03?)Performer A, one thing I liked about it was the price! Got it used for $900 and I think its a great value. I am really happy with it tone, volume playability and lookswise. Its my first "good" real quality mandolin and it seems to be getting better. You see them at arange of prices from about 900-1200

I PURCHASED AN A-5JR 1984 OFF E-BAY, I WANTED A PRE -GIBSON FLATIRON THE MOJO THING. I OWNED A WEBER SIGNED JR. BEFORE AND IT WAS A GREAT LITTLE MANDOLIN ALSO, EASY TO PLAY GOOD CHOP NICE TONE WELL MADE ALL FLATIRONS IVE TRIED HAVE BEEN GOOD MANDOS AND AFORDABLE.
    2013 Northfield Big Mon #223
    2004 Gibson A9
    1981 #1132 Flatiron 1N
    2013 Gibson F9

Dreaming of a Pomeroy F5 Blonde w Engelmann ?

Thanks so much for the detailed descriptions of what makes these things great! I continue to be impressed by just about everything that I hear about Flatirons!
    Richard Russell

I have a '83 Flatiron A5-2 (Carlson signed) and can't say enough good things about it. #The tone is sweet with loud, clear notes and a great chop. #The intonation is good and the notes have even volume and tone across the neck, unlike some other far more expensive Fs I have played (and own). #I have never heard a bad Flatiron A or F that was a -2 or an Artist model (these were all X braced in my experience) but I have heard some pretty underwhelming Performer As. #All of the Festival models I have played were pretty decent or quite nice, especially if they weren't too expensive.

The only downside to my Flatiron is the large neck. #It does not have a truss rod (it is reinforced) and I assume the neck was a made a little beefier to compensate for this. #I don't find it as fast as my slimmer Gibson neck, but the sound is enough to make me overlook this.

You can hear my A5-2 here.

Chip

Great sounding mandolin, Chip; not to mention the picking!!! I have a '93 A5 Artist (Carlson) which doesn't sound as sweet, but is still an outstanding instrument. I am saving your recording for a study lesson; thank you very much.

I have an A5 artist and a festival A and love both of them. The artist has a slightly more open sound and I do play it more often but to sat one sounds better than the other would be dependent upon one's taste. I will probably trade one for a mandola someday but it would be a hard choice as to which one to get rid of.
    john harmon

Well, I'm going for the Flatiron Festival A!!! #I picked this one up off the classifieds just today. #The seller was extremely helpful and most cooperative w/ all of my questions. #I did my research, listened to the responses here, played a bunch of other A's, and I really think I'm getting a good one. #I sent the payment today and will recieve the mando next week some time. #Can't wait to play it!!! # # #THANKS EVERYONE!!!
    Richard Russell

Really happy for ya,pick on and let us know how you love it!!
    2013 Northfield Big Mon #223
    2004 Gibson A9
    1981 #1132 Flatiron 1N
    2013 Gibson F9

Dreaming of a Pomeroy F5 Blonde w Engelmann ?

Best of luck, I bet it's a great mando.

Chip

Traded a Rigel A+ deluxe for a A5-1 signed by Carlson. I loved the Rigel, easy to play & I like the Rigel look and mine was candy apple red which I thought was a hoot. But my instructor owned the Flatiron and I just liked the tone a bit better especially the G & D stings. He needed an amplfied mandolin, I did'nt and so we made a trade that made us both happy. Either one is a great instrument and the Flatiron is a far better instrument than I am a player so will last me my lifetime.
    We all get exactly what we have coming -