Thread: skinny necks

Hi. This is my 1st post so please be kind.

I'm starting to look for my 1st mando. (I'm mainly a guitar player) I've been playing an old Ibanez F-style mando that belongs to a gal in my band and it's really a lot of fun. Anyway, while playing some new mando's I found a cheap Johnson F-style mando with a very full V-shaped neck and it really seemed to fit my hand better than the skinnier necks on all the other mandos I've tried. Are there any disadvantages that I'm not aware of in getting a thicker neck? Are there any other brands that have bigger necks? I'm not really very fond of the Johnson brand. I've owned a couple of their guitars and had some quality issues.

Any help you can give will be appreciated. Thanks.

Cooter--neck profile is a matter of personal preference, a lot of which has to do with the size of your hands, and what feels comfortable to you. Thicker necks may be a bit heavier, may also stand up better to the string tension. Thinner necks may be easier to reach farther (less of your hand is taken up reaching around the neck). Anyway, it's good that you're developing an understanding of what your preference is.

There are many different mandos with many different necks. I think a lot of folks would agree that Johnson instruments are kind of low end both in terms of price and quality. Sometimes you find a gem, but they are the exception, not the rule. The good news is that there are a lot of other great mandos out there.

I suggest that you spend some time trying out different mandolins and seeing what you like. Go to a store (or a few stores) if at all possible and try a several different ones. Weber mandolins tend to have a kind of chunky neck... U shaped, though, not V shaped-- so you might like those. But there are lots of others, and you'll have to figure all sorts of other things into your decision including price, shape, woods, etc... If you get to the point of custom ordering an instrument, you can have the builder make whatever neck profile you like. But better to spend some time refining your preferences.

Good luck! and welcome to the Cafe! There's a world of great mando related info here and many kind and helpful people.

KE
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Thanks KE. Yeah, I've got pretty big hands with long fingers so a bigger neck might fit me better. I tend to like fuller necks on my guitars, too. I'm definitely shopping around and trying everything out--that's why I picked up the Johnson in the 1st place. I played the Ibanez mando at our last gig and by the end of the nite my left hand was pretty sore from that skinny little neck. I'm sure that part of my problem is that I'm just not used to mando necks but I still think that if I can find something a little chunkier that I'll be a little happier.

I'm not really looking to spend a ton of money but I'd like something decent. I'm just starting my search so I plan on shopping around and playing everything I can find. I really like the look of the F-style mandos but I realize that I'll get more for my money with an A-style.

BTW--the Ibanez is a pretty nice mando. I'm guessing it's from the 60's or 70's, back when Ibanez was getting into trouble for copying other manufacturers a little too closely. I've offered to buy it from my bandmate but she won't sell at this time.

In case you haven't found it yet, the Classifieds section here on the Cafe is a great place to buy and sell mandos. I have also found that it's a great tool also for learning about the mando market-- what comes up for sale a lot, what is rare, what costs what, etc. I have had nothing but good experiences there, and there is kind of an implicit code of ethics about being fair and honorable among cafe members.

Still, you'll want to try a bunch and narrow down your choices before taking the plunge, most likely. It's nice to have the Classifieds as a resource for used instruments, though. As you've determined already, you'll get more instrument for your money if you buy an A instead of an F, and also if you buy used (as long as it doesn't have any major problems). Set aside some $ to make sure whatever you have is set up well by a professional luthier.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

I learned to play on an inexpensive import A model with a fairly thin, U shaped neck, and was having significant problems with my left hand cramping after playing for 3-4 hours ... I was resigned to living with it. At 53 you figure some aches and pains are part of life. The first time I played a Collings with that nice V shaped neck I thought "damn, this is nice!" Well, I bought that Collings and the cramping disappeared. #I can play all day with no aches in the left hand. That U shaped neck on the inexpensive A was putting pressure where my hand did not like to have pressure, I guess. That taught me that neck shape can make a huge difference.

Cooter,

What kind of music are you playing? While not the best for Bluegrass, Mid-Missouri makes a wide neck version of all of their models. Yes, the do cost more than a low end Johnson but they sound a heck of a lot better. A Mid-mo would be great for playing celtic, folk, old-time, or even classical. They also tend to retain their purchase price much better than the low end Pac rim mandolins do.
    This may not be what you're into, but it's definitely something to think about.

Greg Henkle

2002 Prucha F5
    1962 Martin D18
    1965 Fender Telecaster

Rigels have a sort of chunky and very comfortable neck. Not really V-shaped but worth a try. I've found that comfort is determined (for me at least) not just by shape or thickness but by the whole package, the neck configuration as a whole. Collings (sharp V) and Rigel (more of a U) are among the best in my opinion.
    Bob DeVellis

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

Hi Cooter, and welcome! I had a pal who used, as one of his several identities as a journalist and malcontent writer, "Cooter Brown". Nice name.

I'm coming to mandolinism from guitar (and bouzouki) as well, and I'm right with you on necks, with the variation that I have come to care less about the shape and bulk of the neck than the width of the fretboard, expressed as a width at the nut.

I don't pay a lot of attention to F-models, so this is necessarily limited... I've found that old Gibson A's have necks/boards that are a tad larger than contemporary F's and many A's.

It seems that widths greater than 1 + 3/16" are rare 'off the shelf'. As mentioned, Mid-Missouri offers a wide neck option, and are also some of the best 'bang-for-the-buck' inexpensive makers.

I've asked of several makers if they'd make me a wider nut-width mandolin. Collings won't. Rigel, Laura & Ken Ratcliff (Silver Angel), Weber, will. I think I'm leaving a couple out. It's sort of like the smaller, more 'boutique' the makers, the more flexible they can be about neck widths. Aside from the Mid-Mo, that probably doesn't help much for shopping at entry-level prices...

I hope this is useful...

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

If you have a chance try a Breedlove. They make nice, resonably priced mandos and have a wide, radiused fingerboard. Seems like most new players I know liked them a lot when they first grabbed them.

Ok, sorry Cooter, I gotta ask, you owned more than one Johnson ?

Chip

Thanks for all the replies. Breedlove, Gibson, Weber, etc... are all really nice but I'm just not ready to drop that kind of money on a mando at this time. I'd like to keep the price down around $300 or so. As I stated before, I'm primarily a guitar player but I like to fill in on mando when our regular player can't make it. (plus it's just a whole lot of FUN!)

There's a couple MidMo's on eBay right now. I'll watch those to see how high they go. I'm checking the Classifieds here regularly, too. I'm still in the "trying stuff out" phase so I'm not really ready to buy yet. Sure, I'll grab something if I come across a deal that's too good to pass up but otherwise I want to check everything out to make sure I'm getting something I really want.

And yeah, I bought a couple Johnson guitars in the past. That was about the only choice of inexpensive resonators at the time so I went for it. I sold the first one when I bought the second. My friend works on guitars on the side so he did a really nice job of setting it up and fixing a bunch of fret problems that developed. It actually plays pretty nice right now. I'm sure it won't last forever but that's ok as I plan to upgrade to a Dobro or National when my budget allows. That's my plan with the mando, too. I'll buy something that'll get the job done now and upgrade somewhere down the road when I know more about what I want out of it.

Anyway, keep the suggestions coming. I appreciate them all.

Cooter

If you buy an import, buy used for a decent price. At least you'll have a shot at getting your money back when you decide to upgrade.

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

I had a Johnson resonator guitar, too! Good fun for a while, hadda add some better parts. <G>

Same with inexpensive mandolins... A better bridge, bone nut, cast tailpiece, good setup and it's a lot more fun.

Good luck with your search! Mando is fun. Just look at all the folks here who are, one way or another, hooked on the fun bit!

All the best,

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

I had Ron Cole build me a custom lefty A last year, and he gave me a full U shaped 1-1/4" nut width neck that works well for me. Yet another lefty picker didn't like it - said it was "freakin' huge"!

Gary Collier
    Atlanta