Thread: Trinity College?

Does anyone have any thoughts about the Trinity College Irish Bouzouki TM-375?

It seems to be going for $400 in a couple of places. Is this a low-end or a middle-of-the-line instrument?

Any thoughts about quality?

Also, the scale length is 26.75 inches. Is that way too long?

The TC is what I would call on the low-end. I have played several, and as with most of these mass-produced instruments, some are pretty good, and some are dull.

Whether the scale length is too long depends on what you want to do with the instrument. If you want to play fast fiddle tunes, yes it is probably too long unless you have really long fingers or can play as well as Django. If you want to sit in sessions and boom out rhythm, it's probably fine, unless you have short fingers.

Trinity does also have a 21" scale octave mando.

Fiddles
    Arches F4 / Newson F5
    Crump B1 / Old Wave GOM

A small bit of TC history:

Back in...I think it was the early '90s, TC instruments were built in Japan. That came to an end (I heard rumor that the factory burned), and it was several years before production resumed in other PacRim countries. I have a japanese mandola that's a fine instrument, indeed, but these are hard to find--there weren't all that many to start with, and they don't change hands very often. I'd class TCs of this era as mid-range instruments, even though their original prices were low-end.

Current production prob'ly is low-end.

I have an early TC OM that I like a lot. The early ones had a fleur de lis on the headstock. I've played the ones with the celtic design on the headstock and don't like them as well. (Although I do like the headstock design better than the fleur de lis)
    Jim Yates

Blog Entries

YMMV. I played a TC 'zouk at Elderly that was *divine*.
    =============================
    Apollonio Acousto-electric bouzouki (in shop)
    Mixter 10 string mandola (still waiting 2+ yrs)
    Unknown brand Mandocaster (on the way!)
    "Doubt begins only at the last frontiers of what is possible." -- Ambrose Bierce

Huda--
    I've played a few of these. #The ones I've played have sounded pretty good and been solidly built. #Not elegant, but not junk either. #That said, set-up really makes a difference, and my experience with other mass produced pac-rim instruments suggests that there could be some gems as well as some clunkers out there, and the only way to know for sure is to play them and pick one that speaks to you.

Where are they on the spectrum of OM's? #Here's my read:
    the lowest-end are the $100 OM's (you see them a lot on ebay - Gypsy King and the like). #Don't bother. #Low-mid would be stuff like the Troubadours and generic Roumanian made instruments in the 2-300$ range. These seem to benefit quite a bit from a good setup and a lot of folks are happy with them, esp. as starters or when first exploring the longer mandos.

I'd put TC, along with the similar Johnsons, Tyler Mountain, Fender, etc. just above these. By reviews, people seem to like the TC's best of this lot. #Next in the continuum would be things like Freshwater- handmade in batches. Then there's Weber Sages. After that you get into the custom built instruments by many wonderful luthiers and the higher end Webers. #And on up from there. #At the pinnacle seems to be Sobell.

Obviously, this is based on BROAD generalizations, and any individual instrument may be an exception to this schema in either direction. #but you asked, so this is my take on it. #I'm sure there will be a variety of other opinions to consider as well.

Re:scale
    As mentioned above, it depends on what you want to do/how you want to play it. #But I would also say this...if you get a scale that is too big for you and what you want to play, you will likely get discouraged pretty quickly. #My best advice is to suggest that you go somewhere and play some different scale instruments if possible. #My next best advice (if that's not possible) is to err on the SHORT side, not the long side.

my 2$ worth...

Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Decent deal on a TC Zouk in the Classifieds...

Thanks everyone for all your help. Lots to think about.

FYI, I heard that the High Note Music store in PA is going out of business and is offering 35% off everything in stock. It might be worth checking out.

Highnote Music Supply

Blog Entries

I'd almost give my left...errr...nostril for that TC Zouk in the classifieds. I *might* offer up my short scale 'zouk for sale to help finance that -- I wonder if my wife would kill me?
    "Doubt begins only at the last frontiers of what is possible." -- Ambrose Bierce

I also have the original TC with the fleur de lis; I like it a lot and am presently looking possibly replace the stock rosewood/bone bridge. The frets had badly filed flat spots, but that was easily remedied. Anybody change out a bridge on one of these? As far a stretches go, i wouldn't hardly play it if I didn't use a capo.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

26+" scale is long. It's Greek/Turkish bouzouki long. My zouk is 25.4" scale and most mandolinists, many octave mandolinists and some guitarists think that it's too long to play at all. The 24- or 25-inch scale seems about the largest for modern bouzoukis that aren't in the eastern Mediterranean style.

Of all the Pac Rim instruments, the TCs seem to have the best quality control. I know of a couple of folks who have experimented with bridge, nut, and tailpiece upgrades, and the results, while somewhat inconsistent, generally are improvements.

As Otterly sez, setup is key. Once you have some idea of how you want to use it, go and have a good conversation with an instrument tech and invest in their skills. You won't regret it.

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

Blog Entries

So, anyone want to trade a broke-in TC 'Zouk for my Romanian Wonder™ Short Scale 'Zouk and a nice 4" Rich-Field Refractor?

/got the Jones, and no funds to support it

[QUOTE]nice 4" Rich-Field Refractor?

I love the OM, but I wouldn't sacrifice my telescope!

Just my 2 cents, but I LOVE my Trinity mandola---I put on TI strings and it's got a GREAT sound, sweet but full....Yvonne
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

Quote Originally Posted by (violmando @ Oct. 31 2005, 13:30)
    I put on TI strings and it's got #a GREAT sound, sweet but full....Yvonne
    CAn anyone tell me please, what are these TI strings?

Catmandu2, TI is short for Thomastik-Infield. Made in Austria, they are very expensive in the US. Some players like them for their long life. I know they make mandola strings, I don't know about strings for bouzoukis.

Interesting. I'm familiar with Thomastik Dominants--my preference for violin and bass strings. In the guitar world, the new rage are the Elixirs. Can anyone refer me to a good historic thread on string comparisons (mandolin and mandola)? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by
    Just my 2 cents, but I LOVE my Trinity mandola---I put on TI strings and it's got #a GREAT sound, sweet but full....Yvonne
    Just curious, Yvonne, but are you using the ones that say "Mandola" or the "Alto Mandolin" ones? #(I use and like the latter on my 15.5" scale and one 17" scale mandola, but am contemplating trying the former on the other 17" mandola and tuning it GDAE.)

By the way, I love the quote in your sig - it's one of my favorites, and also one of my best selling desings in my cafepress store. #

bratsche (who incidentally hates Thomastik Dominant viola strings)
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

I have "alt mandoline" 163 TI mediums on my Trinity College 'dola. They've been on almost 13 months, and are still just as fresh & strong as they were this time last year when I put them on. I've never had another set of TIs last this long, especially on my mandolin, and I'm not seeing any signs of needing to change them out any time soon (though I have another set of TI mediums at the ready).

-Allen. (who's never tried Thomastik Dominant strings on his viola)
    Dayton Mandolin Orchestra: http://DaytonMandolin.net/
    Midwest Mandolin Quartet: http://DaytonMandolin.net/MMQ/

Quote Originally Posted by (Blep @ Oct. 26 2005, 18:54)
    I have an early TC OM that I like a lot. The early ones had a fleur de lis on the headstock. I've played the ones with the celtic design on the headstock and don't like them as well.
    Our (octave) mandola player has one of the early fleur-de-lys ones. [Actually, it's branded "Ozark", but I'm pretty sure it's identical to the Japanese TCs. The Ozark brand seems to pop up on just about any type of imported instrument in the UK, which makes it utterly meaningless.] This one is a really very nice instrument, head and shoulders over any of the new TCs, Fenders or other Asian ones I see in the shops.

Martin

Quote:
    Just curious, Yvonne, but are you using the ones that
    say "Mandola" or the "Alto Mandolin" ones? #(I use and
    like the latter on my 15.5" scale and one 17" scale
    mandola, but am contemplating trying the former on the
    other 17" mandola and tuning it GDAE.)
    ----------------------------
    Hi bratsche--
    If you do this --can you report the results here?
    thanks, Joel

Quote Originally Posted by (catmandu2 @ Jan. 25 2006, 22:03)
    Interesting. #I'm familiar with Thomastik Dominants--my preference for violin and bass strings. #In the guitar world, the new rage are the Elixirs.
    Elixirs are popular with some guitarists, and their recent introduction of a phosphor bronze variety is welcome. Unfortunately, they don't make any kind of CBOM set, or loop-end strings that are long enough for those instruments. I believe you can buy them individually if you can use ball-end strings or care to spend time removing the balls, but they're very expensive.
    Chris

I have the Alt Mando ones too....I don't know what TIs are like on other instruments, but I LOVE them on my dola and cello; I usually use Flexocors on my double bass and I don't own a decent mandolin yet to worry about it!
    Yeah, I LOVE this quote, because cats and music keep me SANE in this world!
    THANKS, bratsche!
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer