Thread: Tom Morgan

When I was building my first mandos in the late 70's and early '80s, I bought Siminoff's book, as well as Tom Morgan's F-5 plans. I corresponded with Tom regularly for several years, and he was a tremendous resource to me. We've never met, but I consider him a true friend. Realizing that it's been 20 years or so since I spoke with him, I'm wondering
    a.- is he still alive, and
    b.- if so, how can I contact him
    I heard he was sick a few years back... Can anybody fill me in? I still marvel at all the time he spent aswering my newbie questions.

I don't know anything about the man, but this little blurb about him says he now lives at Morgan Springs on Dayton Mountain in Rhea County Tennessee.
    Bill Snyder

Thanks for your response, Bill. It's starting to look like nobody knows anything about Tom, which seems odd, considering the size of the mandocentric community. I could be wrong,but I believe that Tom drew up the first F5 plans- the set I got in '78 were updated in 1971 or so. So the originals were likely contemporaneous with Randy Woods first F5 copies.As far as I know, at least, and I don't object to being corrected. Years ago, in Frets magazine, there was an article contrasting the neck attachment systems of 3 prominent luthiers- Morgan( integral), Monteleone (dovetail), and Siminoff(dowelled mortise and tenon).
    Still looking for comments and info- I could not determine that the link Bill provided was current. In any case I'll try the address- same one I used to write to!

I just wish I had a set of his prints when I built my first mandolins from the Siminoff book in the late 70's.

Last I heard, he was still in the Dayton TN area where he has been for years. #I personally haven't seen him since the late 80's.

Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

I saw Tom Morgan this summer while filming at the annual #Scopes Trial renactment in Dayton. #He was in a trio playing Monkey Trial songs before the show. #He played a home built F5 and a very nice herringbone D28.

Doug McCash

Thanks guys- I really appreciate the news. I owe Tom one of those "I didn't fully appreciate your help when I was a callow youth" type letters. (I thought I did, but I realize now, as a middle aged guy, that I didn't totally get it).

Quote Originally Posted by (june39 @ Oct. 27 2005, 11:41)
    I saw Tom Morgan this summer while filming at the annual #Scopes Trial renactment in Dayton. #He was in a trio playing Monkey Trial songs before the show. #He played a home built F5 and a very nice herringbone D28.

Doug McCash
    Thanks for info Doug. I thought I had seen a photo of him recently, one that proved he was still around and active. That's what it was. It may have been in Bluegrass Unlimited
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com