Thread: What's up with my Morgan Monroe?!?

I've been playing mandolin for a couple months now on a MMS-6 (the satin finish) and I wanted to upgrade a few parts. I got an Allen tailpiece and Schaller tuners from Janet Davis and nothing fits! I tried the standard and reverse tuners and wound up having to remove all the arms and deal with them tightening backwards. And now my Allen tailpiece isn't even close...so I'm going to have to fill in holes and drill new ones. Does MM make their stuff differently, and why?? Not cool.

I've just checked the mandolin tuners at www.stewmac.com, and all of them are spaced 0.906 inches center to center, but that doesn't mean the screw holes will be in exactly the same place. I don't know what you mean by tightening backwards. The way they turn is the way they are supposed to turn. It's pretty common to have to redrill holes for a cast tailpiece. Just fill up the old holes first. Probably no one will ever know.

A lot of modern, retrofitable, tailpieces have "standard" hole spacing, meaning the same as the old Gibson ones.

I must assume you have the Monteleone style Allen.
    John Monteleone designed that tailpiece for his own use on his own mandolins, with no plans for it to be retrofitted to other mandolins, so he used his own hole spacing. The design was later licensed, and they became available as a retrofit.

There are many other tailpieces that will swap back and forth, with the screws in the same holes. I would recommend that, so that you can change again later if you decide to.

There is no standard for tuners, other than the post apacing. Nearly every brand has the screws in different positions, some with worm above shaft, some with worm below. Some with wider plates, some with narrower. Some with longer shafts, some with shorter. Some with screw-on buttons with square shaft ends, some with two flats on the shaft, Some with... well, you get the idea.
    It's a PITA to change tuners brands.

Richard J.

Gotoh tuners will fit that headtock out of the box- I put them in the very same mando a few months ago. You might have to redrill one or two screw holes; I can't remember. Not difficult though.
    "The older I get, the better I was!"