Thread: italian folk music

would anyone with an interest in european folk music know of a collection of italian folk songs to include a fair amount of material from the medieval and renaissance periods?

i know this is awfully specific but the alan lomax site has more than a few italian recordings he made in the early '50's and i just can't afford to buy them all in the hopes of getting one or two.

there apppears to be zero interest in folk music in my area (prov. of siena). don't know why this is but contadino culture seems to have come to a complete and utter halt after the second world war and whatever went on prior to radio and tv with the "folks" suddenly ceased to exist.

regards - bill

Say, Bill... nothing at the Accademia Chigiana? Count Guido Chigi-Saracini has great appreciation for his region's folk culture; and his lineage is certainly medieval... Have you contacted the academy?
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

great site - thanks. i especially like the invitation to "drop by the palace and see us now, hear!"
    i'll write them a letter asking if they have a list of italian, early music folk songs.

and if ever i need to find something that's right there under my nose, i'll be sure and contact you.

kind regards - bill