Thread: Alvarez mandolins?

I've been looking for a new mandolin. My decision has come down to either Michael Kelly Elegante (or Dragonfly) or the Alvarez A900. Does anybody have a A900 and how is it? Any suggestions to what kind of mandolin I should get, considering I would prefer a none sunburst finish.
    Laughing at the River

I have played both and owned an Alvarez A800 for 10 years. The 800 is just a "no-frills" version of the 900. I think the early 90's ones are better than the current day. Both the MK and the Alvarez are just OK, IMHO. If you are looking for the best mando value in that price range get a used Flatiron A or an Eastman A. If you just want an F to have an F, buy the one that looks the best and know your giving up something to get the look.

The Alvarez A800 I tried, fit about where it should in terms of price vs tone compared to other similar imports. #Not outstanding, but not bad either. I don't know how different the A900 may be.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

You can get a real nice used Flatiron A model for a similar price and it'll be a much better mandolin IMHO. I have played good and bad Alvarez mandolins and it's the quality control that makes them problematic on resale.

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Registered User OlderThanWillie's Avatar

There's been a great amount of talk on this site about the Eastman line. I don't recall anyone making a bad comment about them. The prices range from about $500 to about $2300 so there is a lot to choose from. Check them out at a local dealer or see an eBay listing -- The Mandolin Store seems to be a regular eBay lister and they have received favorable comments on this forum.
    OTW

I've got an A 900, and its great. But it's from the 1980s and was imported from Japan. I bought it used 7 years ago. If you can find one from that era (and I think the 800s are quite good too), I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. I notice that the later ones lack the detailed craftmaship of these early imports.

In our mandolin ensemble, there is a player with an older Alvarez 800. It is very nice sounding and well balanced. I can't say how the new ones sound but have not heard too many good things about them.

I have an Eastman A model(805) and have to say it is a very good sounding mandolin for the money. It is well balanced, has a deep throaty sound and plenty of loud chop. It also is made with some very fine wood, the fit and finsh is good and it was well set up.

I also have a MK F model (Legacy Deluxe) and have to say it doesn't have the sound of the Eastman, the fit and finish was marginal and it needed s major setup (nut lowered, neck straigthened).

If you go new, I recommend the Eastman, if you go used, the suggestions previously made are good.
    Glenn Nelson
    Las Vegas, NV

"Every day brings a chance for you to draw in a breath, kick off your shoes and play your mandolin."

You might want to spend some time surfing the classifeds here for things in your price range.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Yeah, like that Flatiron Performer A that is listed for $800.00 (nothing in it for me). If I was in the market, I'd seriously consider that mandolin. . . .

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I actually just played a brand new Alvarez A900 earlier this week and a Washburn Jethro Burns model last week. Very close in price, but the Washburn was heads n shoulders ahead of the Alvarez, especially in fit, finish, and ornamentation. I did like the satin finish on the Alvarez, however, the Washburn was just altogether a better made instrument. Louder, better tone, action was much better, although I'm sure that could be taking care of quickly with a decent setup. Also, as I'm learning, I might play an A900 tomar that blows the Washburn away. I'd say the Johnson ma370 I played the other day beats them both though, and I still haven't found anything that beats my lil Fender plywood box!! Amazing but true. Can't wait to play an Eastman!!

Thumbs up

You would be doing yourself an injustice by not trying/playing an Eastman before you plop down your hard earned cash for an Alverez. If you would consider a used instrument then Fattdad is right on with his recomendation re the Flatty in the ads. BTW no $$ intrest here. Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

Default Re: Alvarez mandolins?

Quote Originally Posted by c.brenton View Post
    I've been looking for a new mandolin. My decision has come down to either Michael Kelly Elegante (or Dragonfly) or the Alvarez A900. Does anybody have a A900 and how is it? Any suggestions to what kind of mandolin I should get, considering I would prefer a none sunburst finish.
    Yes I have a 2005 Alvarez A-900, bought new. It has never measured up to what a stage-worthy mando should be. The wood is all solid and beautifully figured,...possibly the neck needs to be taken off and reset at a steeper angle. They don't make these anymore, I gave over $800, case, tax and all for it, but generally speaking, it has been a disappointment! I have three Gibsons.

And if anyone who posted on this thread seven years ago is still discussing OP's choice -- which I'd guess has been made by this time -- hope that person avoids similar disappointment...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    And if anyone who posted on this thread seven years ago is still discussing OP's choice -- which I'd guess has been made by this time -- hope that person avoids similar disappointment...
    So glad you pointed that out! I was about to jump in myself.