Thread: Hutto mando

well.......got to see, and play, a Hutto mando.....one of his "The Gibson" F5 copies, with a 1924 date, and Gibson serial number, and "The Gibson" logo on the headstock. The dude said it was one of the lawsuit mandos from the '70s. At least that's what the guy said.

Fairly nice mando. Sounded large, and played like a dream. I'd never heard of this story.
    stroke survivor
    www.myspace.com/dtbtunz

I have a Hutto like that... The finish is typical of a Hutto, not overly great, however, it has the patina of a '20's mandolin. It looks ancient.

Heh, and strangers have told me, "thats the best sounding Gibson I have ever heard!". At a festival up north, I had to put it up 2 days into the festival because too many people were taking an active interest in the thing. I love talking mandolins as much as anybody, but strangers drooling all over the thing with far away looks in their eyes is a little un-nerving. I re-assured as many people as possible that it was NOT a GIBSON and definately not a Loar, but they would just wink at me and say "suuurrrreee". But, now I know what its like to be the guy that "owns a Loar", far too much attention for my taste!

Yes, I have heard lots of stories about Hutto, but I am not in the rumor-mongering business. Let's put it this way, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if at least a couple of the good sounding "Loars" out there in circulation aren't actually Hutto's. The man built a hell of a mandolin, god rest his soul.

One more thing I will say about Hutto's, I have played a bunch of them and I feel that he is the most consistant builder I have yet to encounter. Each mandolin I have played, reminds me of my Hutto's (and they remind me of each other). I think I have only played one that was less than good, but I was in the middle of a huge jam session and it was hard to tell really...

I love Hutto #39, and I have yet to play the mandolin (and I have played a bunch of them) that I would trade it for. I will never sell it.

In 1990 I did sound in Pennsylvania at the Canyon Country Festival near Wellsboro and Lost and Found were playing as well as Del and the boys. I generally go up before the bands play and get a sample off mic of the instruments so I can duplicate the tone or talk about what changes musicians want in the mix for their instruments. Dempsey Young, who plays mandolin for Lost and Found had a Hutto. A very early one, I think 1972. Same detail, built to look like an early Gibson. It had the darkest sound I have ever heard in any mandolin. What a Hoss! So when I got back to the board, that's what I mixed. Dempsey was so impressed that I could duplicate the tone in the mix. It really wasn't that hard, but I am haunted to this day by that sound.

The only other mandolin that I have heard like that was one of John Monteleone's early Loar copies that were sold through Mandolin Brothers in the mid 70's, but it had the Monteleone one piece bridge on it. As I build mandolins, those are the voicings that I try to duplicate. I wish I had an early Hutto. Guess I'll keep trying to build one. Kenc
    Cartwright's Music & Repair Shop
    "I repair what others sell"
    Stayton, Oregon

well, at least the story is correct. The dude was kinda funny about it. He hadn't said a word about the mando. He had 4 other mandos, and a guitar he had made. And while folks were jamming a little, and looking at all the stuff, I opened this case, expecting to see another one of his handbuilt mandos, and there was this gibson, looking like it could be 100 years old. I was scared to pick it up at first. I even stopped the jamming, and asked him if'in I could touch it. That's when he started laughing.

Oh, by the way. His name is Stan Bagg, from West Va. His mandos are great sounding, and great playing, but really kinda suck as to appearance, and workmanship. One of my picking pals bought one from him this summer, and it really is a joy to play. If only I could play it with my eyes closed, I try one out too.
    stroke survivor
    www.myspace.com/dtbtunz

Saw and heard Dempsey's mandolin this weekend. Still has the tone.

If I remember correctly, in my condition that night,

the dude said Hutto made like 3 manos with the gibson logo. Does anyone know?
    stroke survivor
    www.myspace.com/dtbtunz

He did quite a few. I had a talk with him years ago and though he didn't give me the numbers, he did indicated quite a few. Kenc
    Cartwright's Music & Repair Shop
    "I repair what others sell"
    Stayton, Oregon

Blog Entries

These hutto's are killer for sure, i just got one from my dad and had the folks at randy wood change the fret board to a radius one and trim some of the neck with(more v) and its a keeper, i was thinking about getting The gibson logo off the headstock though, it even has a gibson sticker inside. I know of atleast two others like this, they all sound great!
    Anthony
    www.hickoryproject.com