Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandolin Concerts of Note

Default Re: Mandolin Concerts of Note

As always, I wish this stuff was closer.

The Providence Mandolin Orchestra will present a joint concert with the Saarlandisches Zupforchester on Saturday, October 27, 8 PM, at the Rhode Island Philharmonic Music School, 677 Waterman Avenue, East Providence, RI. The PMO is directed by Mark Davis and the SZO by Reiner Stutz. Music by Hartford, Piazzolla, Charlton, Resphigi, Vivaldi, Mezzacapo, Bozza, Wolki, Kubota, Ambrosius, Kuwahara, and Jenkins. Program notes are attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PMO_SZO_concert_program.pdf 
Views:	165 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	92981
    Robert A. Margo

The Providence Mandolin Orchestra will give a concert at "Music at Lily Pads', 27 North Road, Peace Dale, Rhode Island, on Sunday, January 27, 3 PM. The program will include the world premiere of Owen Hartford's "Urban Sketches", which recently received second prize in the "2012 Concurso Internacional de Composicion para formaciones de Plectro Jose Fernadez Rosas," Logrono, Spain; the US premiere of Frank Wallace's "New England Quintets"; "Chrysopylae Reflections" by James Kellaris, which was awarded first prize in the 2012 New Music Competition held by the San Francisco Mandolin Orchestra; and a reprise of Victor Kioulaphides' great "Concerto Per Orchestra a Pizzico" written for Het Consort. Program notes are attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lily_Pad_January_2013_program_notes.pdf  
    Robert A. Margo

Slight error in the program notes that I posted earlier today for the PMO Lily Pad concert. The corrected notes are attached.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lily_Pad_January_2013_program_notes_corrected.doc.pdf 
Views:	141 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	96824
    Robert A. Margo

I am happy to inform you about a MANDOLIN & MANDOLONCELLO recital - Ferdinand Binnendijk & friends - on Friday, Januari 25th, starting at 20.00 hours in the Kunstencentrum MUZERIE, Zwolle, Netherlands.

The entrance is free!

Ferdinand will, together with his friends Sytse Buwalda, Saskia Spinder and Sebastiaan de Grebber, perform compositions by a.o. Johann Sebastian Bach, Leo Brouwer and Pieter van der Staak.

You are all very welcome!

Best,

Alex.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ferdinand Recital.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	233.0 KB 
ID:	96843

Fascinating... I recall how Ferdinand played the liuto at Het Consort's anniversary. Now mandoloncello... Fantastic!

I will be there, if only in spirit ;-)

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Registered User attikaorchestra's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Happy New Year mandolinfriends!

In 2013 ATTIKA Plucked String Orchestra has its 20th Anniversary. For this reason ATTIKA will have several festive concerts during 2013.

The first one will take place on Saturday 9th February in 7 p.m. at Estoudiantina Concert Hall (12, Nordau str, Athens), where ATTIKA and some close friends (Margriet, Spyros,...) will honor great composer Victor Kioulaphides. Victor will attend himself!

The entrance is free.

Any friends be in Athens are, of course, welcomed!

For further information please contact ATTIKA through email: psyllaki@attikaorchestra.gr or tel.: (0030) 2106436358.[/SIZE]

How very exciting all this is! My habitual, winter journey to my birthplace, my "halcyon days" (quite literally), will this time be coupled with some beautiful music-making. I am grateful beyond words to my friends at Attika, and cannot wait to take to the air...

Cheers,

Victor

Congratulations, ATTIKA !

It is good to hear that you celebrate your 20th anniversary with lots of music and concerts! I noticed that you can look back at a successful 2012, despite economical crisis that also has it's impact on you. You are heroes.
    I am happy to attend at your first event !

Wish you great concerts to come this Jubileum year, with music of contemporary Greek composers. Good luck !

Victor, Magriet,

Do you know which VK pieces are on the ATTIKA program? I cannot determine from the poster. The Concerto? Sinfonia?

The PMO's performance of the Concerto a Pizzico yesterday (Music at Lilypads in RI) went very well. We had 150+ in the audience, a full house.
    Robert A. Margo

Quote Originally Posted by margora View Post
    Victor, Magriet,

Do you know which VK pieces are on the ATTIKA program? I cannot determine from the poster. The Concerto? Sinfonia?
    I know of some of them. They are not on the poster, since it should be a bit of surprise for Victor ;-). It is mostly chamber music, an unassuming start of the Jubileum year. Though a "concert of note", celebrating ATTICA's Anniversary together with Victor and with his compositions.

I will post what I know, soon enough. Otherwise, of course, who am I to spoil the surprise? ;-)

Cheers,

Victor

I have just heard that ATTIKA will also be premiering a small, yet very close-to-my-heart ensemble work I wrote for them a while ago, Perípatos (meaning "stroll"), my fond homage to the inimitable, unforgettable Manos Hadjidakis. Never have so few notes tugged my heart's strings so naggingly, so bittersweetly, with so much joy and melancholy, all at once.

As for the audience, who knows? They share with me much of the same cultural milieu that I was raised in, they may feel my own sentiments as well, sympathetically. They, too, may have strolled down the millennia-old alleys of that age-old city...

Yet one more reason for me to dream of a magical week, coming right up.

Cheers,

Victor

Blog Entries

Dear friends,

We are all looking forward meeting you all Victor, Margriet, Ariadne, Spyros, Barbara...
    It' s a great honor for us to start our Jubileum year with special friends with our common love: the mandolin!
    We hope that 9th February, when Victor will be honored, will be magical and of course full of surprises... Surprises as: that the crisis does not touch real art, that many people come together for a common goal, that good music touches audience' s souls....
    Something we can promise, to all of our friends been far away and cannot attend the concert, is that audio and video recordings soon will be shared with you!

Regards from Athens,
    ATTIKA

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attikaorchestra For This Useful Post:

And yet, and yet... we must not forget that it is ATTIKA that will be honored, feasted, celebrated on its 20th anniversary. I will just be a guest, another body in the theater. The spotlight is not on me, really.

Cheers, and καλή αντάμωση! (arrivederci, in Greek )

Victor

I don't know about anything else, folks, but the weather in Athens sure is splendid. I just arrived, via Geneva, to 70s Fahrenheit and a lovely, halcyon day sunshine. The music-making will be no less sunny, I trust...

Cheers,

Victor

By way of an update: the performance-space of the Estoudiantina music-school in Athens is nothing short of magical! Behind an entirely ordinary, unremarkable entrance, hides a true mother-of-pearl sort of concert-hall, as cozy as it is artsy. Hidden in a picturesque nook of that most historical of cities, perched in a corner of a pedestrian alley, accessible only by stone staircases, this small conservatory is a true gem. The hall, clad in burgundy-colored drapes, the seating angled in the sharpest perspectives, sets the stage for magic. This is the stuff that dreams are made of.

OK, you know what to do: drop everything, catch the first flight, and I'll meet you there. If you can't make it, alright, we forgive you-- just this once. You may, however, want to order a copy of Attika's CD. (NFI, of course; said CD only contains an arrangement of mine, no original, license-able compositions.)

Cheers to all, and especially Anna and Aris, the true brain-parents of this entire institution.

Victor
    Last edited by vkioulaphides; Feb-04-2013 at 4:53pm.

ATTIKA rehearsing Victor's Perípatos a few minutes ago.

New with posting via phone. Trying to post a photo.

... and Margriet and Spyros are rehearsing Jubileum, and Maria and Apostolos are (to my great surprise ) rehearsing Mojita, and Margriet is cooking up Canzone with Yannis, and Seven Ancient Greek Lyrics with Ariadne, who may also premiere my Sapphic Triptych if all works out as hoped for, and this, and that...

I feel like the ultimate spoiled child, showered with more than he ever deserved...

Three cheers to all my musical friends, old and new. Those of you abroad: start thinking of hosting Attika on your home-base. These folks work wonders, they do so much, out of so little!

Victor

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vkioulaphides For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Margriet View Post
    ATTIKA rehearsing Victor's PerípatosClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0310.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	142.3 KB 
ID:	98033.
    Here it is, after an evening rehearsal in a wonderful ambiance. Such friendship there is in this ATTIKA orchestra !

I am happy to be among them, this a week !

Margriet

24. The following members say thank you to Margriet for this post:

Wonderful, Margriet and Victor! Thanks for the up-date. And please, do keep us informed!

Cheers, Alex.

Blog Entries

Oh, Victor and Margriet,

It' s our pleasure to be with us!! You both are very generous and friendly with us.. We love to have you with us this week and wish to have you again soon as possible.
    We all; Aris, Maria, Christos, Yiannis, Antonis, Yiannis, Maria Stelliou, Yiorgos Rousopoulos, Dimitris, Yiannis, Vasso, Panos, Apostolos and Anna thank you, as well as Beert and Spyros, Barbara and Ariadne, are with us in our first concert of 2013, our 20th anniversary.
    Hope everyone enjoys Saturday' s concert. Mando-friends, we will send you video and sound recordings (unless you listen to Victor' s encouragements to join us!!!)

Kind regards,
    for ATTIKA orchestra
    Anna

Now, let's see... you can still catch an overnight flight tonight, out of New York, land in Athens by Friday morning (or afternoon, depending on your connecting flight), party all night Friday to Saturday, and still make it comfortably to the concert Saturday night. Hey, I'll even go turn the coffee-maker on for you...

Cheers,

Victor

Just back from Attika's concert, in le ore piccole after midnight...

Sometimes the heart is so full that words pale before feelings. So I will happily recede in revery, leaving commentary to others. All I can say is "Thank you!" to each and every performer. Even "unforgettable" seems a gross understatement...

Three cheers!

Victor

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vkioulaphides For This Useful Post: