Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandolin Concerts of Note

Default Re: Mandolin Concerts of Note

Hello,

To open the British BMG Federation Rally we are having a concert on Friday evening 7.30pm on 2nd March 2012 at the Central Foundation Boy's School, Cowper Street, London EC2A 4SH.

The Concert will feature:

Travis Finch
    Continuing the legacy of his former teacher, the late Alison Stephens, Travis will perform classical mandolin repertoire from various influences. He will be joined with special guest Craig Ogden (classical guitar).

Gaio de Lima and Clube do Choro
    The sounds of Brazilian choro comes to the Rally from the creative and innovative musician Gaio de Lima using a range of plucked instruments.

£12 British BMG Federation members
    £15 non-members
    £6 youths (under 18)
    Regards,
    Henry

Hi all,

Friday, March 16, 2012 – Starting at 20.00 hours In the Dorpskerk (Village Church) of Capelle a/d IJssel (Netherlands): A CONCERT by the Dutch mandolinist FERDINAND BINNENDIJK, the clarinettist ANNEMIEK DE BRUIN and the pianist LAURENS DE MAN. Programmed are compositions by i.e. Bach, Calace, Milhaud, Munier, Poulenc, Skrjabin and von Weber.

Best, Alex.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aankondiging 1.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	83856

Concerts with Dutch Mandolinists:

Tomorrow March 25th: Sebastiaan de Grebber & Eva van den Dool will give two concerts organized by the Culturele Kring Roden. Programmed is music by Gervasio, Raffaele Calace (2nd Mandolin Concerto) and Kioulaphides. For more details, see photo/poster.

Name:	Sebastiaan en Eva 1.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	276.4 KB 
ID:	84280

Concerts with Dutch Mandolinists:

Tomorrow March 25th: Ferdinand Binnendijk & Annegreet Rouw will perform a Musical Intermezzo with music by i.e. Fauré and Debussy in the Catholic Church (Hauptstrasse) of Emlicheim, Germany. For more details see Photo/poster.

Name:	Ferd en Annegreet 1.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	84281

How lovely— and how appropriate, on Greek Independence Day!

I cannot tell, however, whether they are playing my Rhapsody (one of their mainstays by now), or whether Sebastiaan is about to scare other mandolinists to death (as he probably did in Rotterdam) with my fearsome Sweelinck variations. I am sure he will report, in due time...

If you have heard these two play, you must know how very, very, very far the mandolin has come as a true concert-instrument, to be taken seriously. Truly first-rate!

Three cheers for Sebastiaan and Eva!

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Hi All!

Just back from two fabulous concerts given by Sebastiaan de Grebber and Eva van den Dool.
    A concert by this virtuoso duo is something I like to recommend to everyone!

Very, very impressive and unforgetable!

Best, Alex.

PS. Victor, they gave a staggering performance of your virtuose Rhapsody!

Name:	DSC N5 058 Seb and Eva.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	84302

Photo taken at the 2nd concert today - March 25th 2012 - Culturele Kring Roden, Netherlands.

Oh, I have no doubt that they brought the house down! These two artists so "own" the Rhapsody that they play it all in one breath. I know; I have witnessed it in person. Staggering, indeed!

Three cheers for Sebastiaan and Eva!

Victor

Hello,

I will be performing & teaching workshops along the East Coast USA, England and Bulgaria in May & June. I'll be on the road for about 1.5 months. Just want to let everyone know of some dates. Hope to get a chance to meet up with some of you along the way. More detailed information about the concerts & workshops is available at www.chrisacquavella.com and on the cafe calendar.

Best wishes, Chris Acquavella

May
    5th 1:30pm - Mandolin Workshop, Hampton, CT.
    5th 7:30pm – Solo Concert at North Meadow House Concert Series, Hampton, CT.
    6th 7:30pm - Arno Stark Concerto with the Providence Mandolin Orchestra
    11th 7:30pm - Solo Concert in New York City.
    13th 3:00pm - Solo Concert in Hyattsville, MD.
    15th 7:00pm - Mandolin Workshop in Arlington, VA.
    17th 7:00pm - Solo Recital at The Hill Chapel Concert Series, New Market, MD
    19th 7:30pm - Performance with the Munier Orchestra, Medlord NJ
    20th 7:00pm - Arno Stark Concerto with the Philadelphia Mandolin & Guitar Ensemble, Crossroads concert series Philadelphia
    24th 3:00pm - Mandolin Workshop in Cambridge, UK.
    26th 3:00pm - Mandolin Workshop in London, UK.
    27th 10:30am - Mandolin Workshop in Bristol, UK.
    27th 2:30pm - Solo Concert in Bristol, UK.
    30th 7:00pm - Solo Concert in Sofia, Bulgaria.

June
    1st 7:00pm - Chris Acquavella with Maestro Georgi Atanasov Orchestra, Pazardjik, Bulgaria

We hope you will consider joining the New York Mandolin Ensemble on April 29th at LaMaMa / LaGalleria which is located at 6 East First Street in Manhattan. Details are included on the attached flyer.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NYME La Galleria Poster rev.JPG 
Views:	242 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	84541

The Columbus Guitar Society is proud to present Carlo Aonzo and René Izquierdo in concert, 8 pm, 14 April 2012 at Capital University's Huntington Recital Hall, Columbus, OH. Only US$20 general admission ($15 for students/seniors/members). Tickets available from CAPA at 614-561-9204 or Ticketmaster.com.

I am really fired up to meet and hear René for the first time and for Carlo's return to Cow-town. I am told their duo CD dedicated to the music of Paganini should be available by their arrival here. I hope some Cafe-ers can join us there!

Hello all,

This month the young Dutch Mandolinist Ferdinand Binnendijk will come to the US for concerts. So there is a possibility for you to hear him without having to cross the big Pond!

First concert in Santa Monica
    =====================================
    Thursday April 26, 2012

Concert and reception: 7:00 to 10:30 pm

First Presbyterian Church
    1220 Second Street, Santa Monica, CA 90401
    Parking available at public garage opposite church

Here is a link with more details about one of the first concert:

http://www.denederlandsevereniging.n....html?spref=fb
    ================================================== =

We'll keep you informed.

Best greetings, Alex.

PS. More info about the concert programm can be found here:
    http://www.thenafsocal.org/pages/eve...&id=EE8C021E8B

Despite the (nearly) perennial sunshine of Santa Monica, I dare say that we need some of Ferdi at the Other Coast, too.

Cheers to young Ferdinand, the finest ambassador the mandolin could ever dream of!

Victor

Hello,

There has been a slight alteration to my tour schedule listed above. Two dates have been switched and I've added another date in Bulgaria. All concert & ticket information is available on my website: www.chrisacquavella.com. Hope to see you guys in May/June. Best wishes.

Chris Acquavella

May
    5th 7:30pm - Arno Stark Concerto with the Providence Mandolin Orchestra
    6th 1:30pm - Mandolin Workshop, Hampton, CT.
    6th 7:30pm – Solo Concert at North Meadow House Concert Series, Hampton, CT.
    11th 7:30pm - Solo Concert in New York City.
    13th 3:00pm - Solo Concert in Hyattsville, MD.
    15th 7:00pm - Mandolin Workshop in Arlington, VA.
    17th 7:00pm - Solo Recital at The Hill Chapel Concert Series, New Market, MD
    19th 7:30pm - Performance with the Munier Orchestra, Medlord NJ
    20th 7:00pm - Arno Stark Concerto with the Philadelphia Mandolin & Guitar Ensemble, Crossroads concert series Philadelphia
    24th 3:00pm - Mandolin Workshop in Cambridge, UK.
    26th 3:00pm - Mandolin Workshop in London, UK.
    27th 10:30am - Mandolin Workshop in Bristol, UK.
    27th 2:30pm - Solo Concert in Bristol, UK.
    29th 4:00pm - Mandolin Workshop in Bulgaria.
    30th 7:00pm - Solo Concert with Duo Dialogue in Sofia, Bulgaria

June
    1st 7:00pm - Chris Acquavella & Duo Dialoque with Maestro Georgi Atanasov Orchestra, Pazardjik, Bulgaria

This month the young Dutch Mandolinist Ferdinand Binnendijk will come to the US for concerts. So there is a possibility for you to hear him without having to cross the big Pond!
    Thursday April 26, 2012
    First concert in Santa Monica
    What a really good news !

Don't miss it, mandofriends from California ! Here is a chance.

Ferdinand : enjoy !!!!!

Greetings, All. To promote the Aonzo-Izquierdo duo concert this coming weekend, I have scored a radio performance/interview for Carlo Aonzo here on WOSU classical radio, 101.1 FM in Columbus, Ohio. It will take place tomorrow morning, Friday, 13 April, at 10:00 am eastern time with WOSU's Jennifer Hambrick. You can also listen live via the web anywhere in the world (go to wosu.org and click the "Listen Now" button following "Classical 101" at the top right of the page). If you can't join us in person on Saturday evening, I hope you can at least enjoy this bit of cyber Carlo on Friday morning.

Thanks, Eugene, for the heads up.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

My pleasure, Jim. I hope you can catch it.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Awesome, Eugene. I am rearranging my morning schedule right now. In case I get bottled up, does OSU radio archive these type of interviews?

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Alas, not that I'm aware. However, at least for this moment, they are planning to at least post video of the in-studio musical performances to their blog pages. I'll post the link if and when they do.

This weekend the Boston Classical Guitar Society hosts its annual "Festival 21" devoted to 21st century music. There are two mandolin items of interest.

--I will be performing two solo works, John Goodin's "The Autumn After" (written for Alison Stephens) and Victor Kioulaphides' "Differencias", both on octave mandolin.

--the Providence Mandolin Orchestra will perform two works written for us, Frank Wallace's "Nocturne" and Owen Hartford's "Neponset Valley Suite".

Details at http://www.bostonguitar.org/
    Robert A. Margo

I am pleased to present the following concert. Admission is free.

Music for Voice and Plucked Strings

Wendy Silverberg, soprano
    Linda Yee, soprano
    Robert Margo, mandolin, octave mandolin, and classical guitar

Hingham Public Library
    66 Leavitt St, Hingham MA
    Saturday, April 28, 3 PM

Die Zufriedenheit, K. 349 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791)
    Komm, liebe Zither, K. 351 (367b)

Three Songs after Thomas Campion Neil Gladd
    Silly Boy, ‘Tis Full Moone Yet – So Quicke, So Hot,
    So Mad – Shall I Come Sweet Love To Thee?
    Robert Margo, mandolin

Differencias Victor Kioulaphides
    Robert Margo, octave mandolin

Chopin (from Letters from Composers) Dominic Argento
    Robert Margo, guitar

Romance Claude Debussy (1862-1918)
    Rondeau
    Linda Yee, soprano
    Robert Margo, guitar

The Autumn After John Goodin

Hai Luli Pauline Viardot (1821-1910)
    Linda Yee, soprano
    Robert Margo, guitar

Suite for Ali Victor Kioulaphides
    Prelude-Allemande-Courante-
    Sarabande-Gigue

My Man’s Gone Now George Gershwin (1898-1937)
    Robert Margo, guitar

Notes by Robert A. Margo:

Our concert opens with two famous songs by Mozart with original mandolin accompaniment. Neil Gladd’s "Campion" songs retain the lyrics from the original lute songs but include new melodies (except for the third) and accompaniments. Victor Kioulaphides’s "Differencias" is a set of variations on a Greek folk song, while the "Suite for Ali" was written in the style of a baroque suite for the late British mandolinist Alison Stephens. Also written for Stephens is "The Autumn After" by Iowa composer John Goodin. “Chopin” is the opening piece in Dominic Argento’s Letters from Composers, actual letters set by Argento. The Debussy and Viardot are classics from the piano-voice literature newly arranged for guitar. The Gershwin needs no introduction.

Soprano Wendy Silverberg has combined a career as a music educator with more than three decades of performance. Since 1972, she has appeared as part of the Boston Cecelia ensemble in more than 125 concerts and on recordings on the AFK and Newport Classics labels. An advocate of pedagogical theories of Zoltan Kodaly, Ms. Silverberg remains active in the Kodaly Musical Training Institute and, since 1971, has been a teacher in the Cambridge Public Schools. Ms. Silverberg currently studies voice with Pamela Wood at MIT.

Soprano Linda Yee is an educator and performer, integrating her interests in music, literacy, and education. Since 1977, Ms. Yee has appeared as a member of the Boston Cecilia ensemble and is currently on sabbatical. She earned the Bachelor of Music degree in Music Education at the Boston University, and the MA Degree in Education from Lesley University. Currently, she operates a private tutoring business, specializing in teaching reading to children with mild to severe special needs. Ms. Yee currently studies voice with Pamela Wood.

Robert A. Margo studied classical guitar with William Newman in Philadelphia and John Johns in Nashville, and renaissance lute with Catherine Liddell in Boston. Margo performs on mandolin family instruments in concert and on recordings with the Providence Mandolin Orchestra, and he was a prize-winner at the 2005 and 2011 Classical Mandolin Society of America national performance competitions. When he is not making music, Margo can be found teaching and conducting research at Boston University, where he serves as Professor and Chair of the Department of Economics.
    Robert A. Margo

Monday April 23 at 6:30 pm. The Louisville Mandolin Orchestra will perform at the Iroquois branch of the Louisville Free Public Library, on Woodlawn Avenue in South Louisville. Free admission. Includes works by Vivaldi, Calace, Macchiocchi and Shulz. Also by Giovanni Lennoni and Paolo Maccartni.

The Providence Mandolin Orchestra is extremely pleased to present the following concert, joint with Chris Acquavella:

The Providence Mandolin Orchestra
    Mark Davis, Director
    With special guest Christopher Acquavella
    Wheeler School, Providence RI
    Saturday, May 5, 2012, 8 PM

Nocturne Frank Wallace

Neponset Valley Suite Owen Hartford
    River Bottom – Currents - Evening

Oblivion Astor Piazzolla (1921-1992)
    arr. R. A. Margo

(Pause)
    Imardin Christopher Acquavella
    Captain O'Kane Turlough O'Carolan (1670-1738)
    De Samodeste Mere Gabriele Leone (c. 1735- a.1768)
    El Duende Juan Carlos Munoz
    Piccolo Gavotta, Op. 73 Raffaele Calace (1863-1934)
    Fantasia No. 1 Takashi Ochi (1934-2010)
    Chris Acquavella, mandolin and baroque mandolino
    (Pause)

Konzert h-moll for solo-mandoline und
    Zupforchester Arno Starck (d. 1960)
    Allegro moderato – In memorium –
    Allegretto giocoso

Yutuma Christopher Acquavella

Providence Mandolin Orchestra with Christopher Acquavella, mandolin solo

Program Notes by Robert A. Margo

The Providence Mandolin Orchestra is honored to present one of the world’s leading performers on classical mandolin, Christopher Acquavella, solo and in ensemble with the PMO. Our concert begins with three works performed by the PMO. A prolific composer for modern classical guitar and an eminent performer on early plucked strings and modern guitar, Frank Wallace’s Nocturne is his first large scale composition for mandolin ensemble. Owen Hartford has written many works for the PMO over his long tenure with the group. His latest composition, in three movements, is the Neponset Valley Suite. The main theme of the first movement, “River Bottom”, is undulated and jagged, while the second movement, “Currents”, eddies back and forth between gentle harmonies and starkly chromatic lines in 13/8. Drawing on minimalist impulses, “Evening” alternates between 4/4 and 3/4 before the “River Bottom” theme returns. One of his most popular and enduring works Astor Piazzolla composed Oblivion for Marco Bellocchio’s film Enrico IV, an adaptation of the classic play by Luigi Pirandello.

Throughout its long history the mandolin has boasted a substantial repertoire for solo performance. One of the first great virtuosi, Gabriele Leone was active in Paris in the 1760s. Like his other works for solo mandolin, “De Samodeste Mere” originally appeared in Leone’s method, “A Complete Introduction to the Art of Playing the Mandoline” (1768). Leone’s “air” was written for the baroque ancestor of today’s four course instrument while the O’Carolan is an arrangement that is performed on a modern reproduction of a baroque “mandolino”, which had 5 or 6 courses and, unlike the conventional mandolin, was tuned in fourths. “Piccolo Gavota” is a beloved miniature by the great early 20th century Italian mandolinist Raffaele Calace, who excelled not only in composition but also performance and instrument design and construction. Born in Japan, Takashi Ochi later moved to Germany where he enjoyed a career as one of the leading performers on classical mandolin during the latter half of the twentieth century. Among his many compositions were a series of works for solo mandolin, such as the atmospheric “Fantasia No. 1”. Juan Carlos Munoz’s fiery “El Duende” is the final piece of a collection of seven works for solo mandolin entitled “Estampes”.

Of his own composition “Imardin” Chris Acquavella writes that “Imardin is the capital city of Kyralia, from the fantasy novel series, The Black Magician trilogy by Australian author Trudi Canavan. The city was made up of three circular walls that separated the social classes. It consists of slum-dwellers as well as the upper class aristocracy. I was reading the Canavan books while composing this piece. Just like the fictional city, “Imardin” for solo mandolin consists of three sections that each have their own personalities. The opening is gentle, full chords and singing melody line. The middle section is vibrant, fast and rhythmical. The final section is slow, mellow and haunting; finally ending back at the main melody. “Imardin” started life as an idea for solo harp. I was never happy with how the notes and phrases were taking shape on the harp so I transferred it back to the mandolin. All of a sudden I started to hear the energy and excitement that I had first envisioned.”

Our concert closes with two modern works for solo mandolin and mandolin ensemble. Born in Dresden in the late 19th century, Arno Starck studied violin, piano, conducting and composition at the Dresden Conservatory of Music. In addition to numerous works for violin, orchestra, male and mixed choir, he also wrote a series of pieces for mandolin ensemble in a neo-baroque style, such as the “Concerto in B-minor” performed this evening. Chris Acquavella’s second work on the program, “Yutuma”, is a tour-de-force workout in multiple meters, drawing on Bulgarian music for inspiration.

Director: Mark Davis
    First Mandolin: Joshua Bell (concertmaster), Christine Chito, Yvette Cote, Duane Golumb
    Second Mandolin: Lynne Bell, Owen Hartford
    Mandola: Mark Chouke, Mack Johnston, Robert Margo
    Mandocello: Dan Moore, Matt Snyder
    Guitar: Mark Armstrong, Beverly Davis, Sylvie Harris, Michael Hession
    Bass: Hiatt Knapp

The original Providence Mandolin Orchestra was founded in 1913 by William Place Jr., one of the leading virtuosos of the mandolin in the United States during the instrument’s “Golden Age” of the early 20th century. The modern version of the PMO dates from 1971, when it was revived by Hibbard Perry. Since then the PMO has become the leading American mandolin ensemble with regular performances throughout the eastern United States and Western Europe. Currently the PMO is directed by Mark Davis, who pursues an active career as an educator, conductor, and performer. The PMO is dedicated to the performance of contemporary music, including pieces written for the ensemble. In the past five years the PMO has given US or world premieres of new works by Clarice Assad, Betty Beath, Richard Charlton, Owen Hartford, Victor Kioulaphides, Annette Kruisbrink, Stephen Lalor, Olaf Naslund, Robert Schultz, Emile Stopler, Caroline Szeto, Francine Trester, and Frank Wallace. Also over the past five years the PMO has embarked on an ambitious program of joint performances with leading European mandolin ensembles, including Het Consort (The Netherlands, directed by Alex Timmerman); the Ensemble a Plectre de Toulouse (France, directed by Alain Corvocchiola); the JZO NRW (Germany, directed by Christian de Witt); and the Orchestra of the International Mandolin Academy (Italy, directed by Carlo Aonzo).

A leading performer worldwide on classical mandolin, Christopher Acquavella graduated First Class Honors from Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance in London, England. A student of the late Alison Stephens, Acquavella won the Wolfsan Foundation Music Award in 2004 and was awarded the TCM Trust Silver Medal for String Studies in 2006. Chris has performed with Avi Avital, Alon Sariel, Jeremy Kurtz, Tim Connell, Alison Stephens and Mike Marshall, and as a soloist and orchestral musician with the Trinity String Ensemble (UK), Dartington Festival Orchestra (UK), E.G.M.A. (DE), New City Sinfonia (USA), Camarada Chamber Ensemble (USA) and the San Diego Symphony (USA). He is also a mandolin/guitar instructor at New Expression School of Music in San Diego and Artistic Director/Conductor of the New Expression Mandolin Orchestra. Aside from teaching and performing, Chris spends time composing new works for mandolin and mandolin ensemble. Several of his works are published by Haus der Musik Trekel, Germany. His recording of solo works for mandolin, “Praeludium” was recently released to great acclaim.

Visit the PMO at its website, www.mandolin-orchestra.org and on youtube.
    Robert A. Margo

Hi all, I like to inform you on the proceedings of the concert tour with three young Dutch musicians Annemiek de Bruin, clarinet Laurens de Man, piano and Ferdinand Binnendijk, mandolin. I don't know whether this concert is open for everyone, but it is always could to know and perhaps even to try to attent.

Name:	Ferdinand Binnendijk PCC-2011.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	85836

Attached is the programm and info about the musicians, etc. Nice to see that the mandolin plays an equal role in these concerts. See for instance the Darius Milhaud 'Suite for violin, clarinet and piano' (op. 157b -
    Ouverture, Jeux and Introduction et Final) inwhich, for these concerts, the violin part is performed on mandolin!

http://ottawa.the-netherlands.org/bi...cours-2012.pdf

Best to all!

Alex.

Fantastic! I am sure that the trio's performances will be well received-- as they deserve to be! As you also know, my immediately next project is also a trio, for alto (voice), mandolin obbligato, and guitar ;-)

Two thumbs up for Ferdinand!

Victor